The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:37 am

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Appley and WRXJoey's Ness MU Chart of Mediocrity 

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
This took like 2 hours no joke. Appley did most of the work and he yelled at me every time i challenged him :pikachu:
Ness's number goes first.
The ones without explanations are MUs we feel are either too rare or we dont have anything to say about it other than blanket statements

Bad Matchups

:metaknight:: 25-75; Can't approach because dash dance, pk thunder is too slow for mk and mk can easily edgeguard (better and sometimes more deadly than marth).

:marth:: 30-70; Needs to be very weary of the sword; hard to approach and get back to stage. Ness must mix up recovery; Deadly punishes; Avoid flat stages and low platform stages as well; try to maximizes pk flash to your advantage when edgeguarding.

:zelda:: 30-70; Very slow matchup; space fairs if zelda trys to approach; pkt if she tries to zone you out with side b. If she neutral bs your pkt, just punish the endlag with dair or out range it with fair, you have frame advantage is she tries to reflect it. Most Zeldas wont go offstage to edgeguard so there's no trouble coming back. Grabs are pretty useless besides dthrow -> upsmash BnB and bthrow kill. Going offstage for edgeguard is risky by the reward could be a stock if you hit her before her upb teleports.

:goku:: 30-70

:sheik:: 35-65; You can easily lose a stock vs Sheik offstage. A fair or bair can equal a quick stock so try to mix-up recovery and psi magnet; Needles will shut you down; Hard to land a pk flash; Hold ledge and hope for the best vs an offstage; when you can, use rising fair to space.

:donkeykong:: 35-65

:blackmage:: 35-65

:megaman:: 35-65

Unfavorable Matchups

:zerosuitsamus:: 40-60; Abuse ZSS's weak shield pressure; Use magnet to mix-up approaching; Upsmash OoS to beat pressure; Roll from ledge covers upb; Zone/Pressure with PKT and aerial PK Fire to get in; Go for upthrow followups instead of dthrow (ZSS can jab out).

:lloyd:: 35-65; Ness must abuse LLoyd coming down options; Zone out hard especially when lloyd is offstage(sent with bthrow etc); when edgeguarding use fair since it outranges his; When offstage using psi magnet to best of your ability since you can be edgeguarded very badly; Down b that n**** demon fang

:fox:: 40-60; Create space with DJC fairs; Ness destroys fox if he gets a grab, upthrow CGs, upthrow uptilt regrab, etc.; Fox is very easy to edgeguard with smart pkt and rising fairs; Dthrow can true combo to fair or nair into another regrab; Dont get caught in shield against fox pressure; Use fade away fair to esacpe pressure.

:naruto:: 45-55; Rely on upthrow combos; Ness shouldn't rely on playing safe since fair beats side-b and pk fire goes through lying clones; play aggressive; Naruto can edgeguard ness bad but so can ness(for once) so keep safe and make sure to ledgehog whenever you can. Pk flash will also be effective.

:bomberman:: 40-60; Both characters punish the hell out of each other so its a lot of Ness spacing fairs and BBM spacing bairs; Be wary of BBM's dash dance and avoid getting put into edgeguard situations sh dance and avoid getting put into edgeguard situations. Plays similar to the zelda matchup, but much faster.

:peach:: 40-60

:ichigo:: 40-60

:captainfalcon:: 40-60

:link: 40-60

:tails: 45-55

Even Matchups

:pikachu: 50-50; Ask Tyler

:yoshi:: 50-50

:mario::50-50

Favorable Matchups

:samus:: 60-40

:jigglypuff:: 60-40

:chibirobo:: 60-40

:wario:: 60-40

:sonic:: 55-45

:kirby:: 60-40

:sora:: 60-40

yea and like feel free to criticize or whatever. feel free to ask for explanations on the ones we didnt explain btw.

Last edited by WRXJoey on Thu May 12, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:52 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
I agree on the CF MU, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:56 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
How does Ness beat Chibi? It always felt the other way for me, as in 65-35 for Chibi or so.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:41 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
The Lloyd MU has always been :lloyd: 65:35 :ness: to me but 60:40 is cool too :pikachu:

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:27 am

Explanation on the Black Mage matchup against Ness? :blackmage:

Subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRau009BhLEGvBRrMTGcLA. I like to upload tournament replays, highlight videos, and other SSF2 content

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:03 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
I commented last year! Where's my explanation!!! :pikachu:

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:47 pm

TSF|Skailler wrote:
How does Ness beat Chibi? It always felt the other way for me, as in 65-35 for Chibi or so.

Honestly Skai? After analyzing the match up a bit more, I do believe that Ness does slightly better than I originally thought. Sure they both can edge guard each other, but after looking a bit more into it... Ness's ability to edge guard Chris is way more proficient. If Ness gets Chibi off stage then Chibi's pretty much eating a near fully charged PK flash. If you try recovering low you risk going to low or recovering on stage (since recoveries in this game don't snap to the ledge... except for Ness I believe). We already know the results of recovering to low, but recovering high usually leads to getting hit with a pk fire. Plus Ness's kill moves are just way more practical. B-throw, u-air, f-smash, etc. So, IMO, Chibi at least beats Chibi 55-45 or it goes an even 50-50.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:51 pm

MGN Username: gamingmage
Currently Playing: ao2
0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:
TSF|Skailler wrote:

Honestly Skai? After analyzing the match up a bit more, I do believe that Ness does slightly better than I originally thought. Sure they both can edge guard each other, but after looking a bit more into it... Ness's ability to edge guard Chris is way more proficient. If Ness gets Chibi off stage then Chibi's pretty much eating a near fully charged PK flash. If you try recovering low you risk going to low or recovering on stage (since recoveries in this game don't snap to the ledge... except for Ness I believe). We already know the results of recovering to low, but recovering high usually leads to getting hit with a pk fire. Plus Ness's kill moves are just way more practical. B-throw, u-air, f-smash, etc. So, IMO, Chibi at least beats Chibi 55-45 or it goes an even 50-50.

Nice explaining also typo <.< Also i would like a little explaining on the black mage match up just to know a bit more.

Discord ID: #6110 (If you want to question something about me more quickly then on the forums, or if you have beef with me)
Mains: :blackmage: :ichigo:
Secondaries: :sora: :chibirobo:
Awesome Images in Sig and avatar made by Ssf2 Dev Steven :)

kb wrote:
Seriously, stop &$^#ing harassing me. I'm not some Terrible Evil Overlord Of The Forums you have to vanquish or anything like that.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:32 pm

MGN Username: Yoshiblaze
Currently Playing: Pokemon Ultra Sun, Kid Icarus: Uprising
WRXJoey wrote:
This took like 2 hours no joke. Appley did most of the work and he yelled at me every time i challenged him :pikachu:
Ness's number goes first.
The ones without explanations are MUs we feel are either too rare or we dont have anything to say about it other than blanket statements

Bad Matchups

:metaknight:: 25-75; Can't approach because dash dance, pk thunder is too slow for mk and mk can easily edgeguard (better and sometimes more deadly than marth).

:marth:: 30-70; Needs to be very weary of the sword; hard to approach and get back to stage. Ness must mix up recovery; Deadly punishes; Avoid flat stages and low platform stages as well; try to maximizes pk flash to your advantage when edgeguarding.

:sheik:: 35-65; You can easily OHKO'd when offstage vs Sheik. A fair or bair can equal a quick stock so try to mix-up recovery and psi magnet; Needles will shut you down; Hard to land a pk flash; Hold ledge and hope for the best vs an offstage; when you can, use upthrow rising fair to space.

Unfavorable Matchups

:zerosuitsamus:: 40-60; Abuse ZSS's weak shield pressure; Use magnet to mix-up approaching; Upsmash OoS to beat pressure; Roll from ledge covers upb; Zone/Pressure with PKT and aerial PK Fire to get in; Go for upthrow followups instead of dthrow (ZSS can jab out).

:lloyd:: 40-60; Ness must abuse LLoyd coming down options; Zone out hard especially when lloyd is offstage(sent with bthrow etc); when edgeguarding use fair since it outranges his; When offstage using psi magnet to best of your ability since you can be edgeguarded very badly; Down b that n**** demon fang

:fox:: 40-60; Create space with DJC fairs; Ness destroys fox if he gets a grab, upthrow CGs, upthrow uptilt regrab, etc.; Fox is very easy to edgeguard with smart pkt and rising fairs; Dthrow can true combo to fair or nair into another regrab; Dont get caught in shield against fox pressure; Use fade away fair to esacpe pressure.

:zelda:: 40-60; Very slow matchup; space fairs if zelda trys to approach; pkt if she tries to zone you out with side b. If she neutral bs your pkt, just punish the endlag with dair or out range it with fair, you have frame advantage is she tries to reflect it. Most Zeldas wont go offstage to edgeguard so there's no trouble coming back. Grabs are pretty useless besides dthrow -> upsmash BnB and bthrow kill. Going offstage for edgeguard is risky by the reward could be a stock if you hit her before her upb teleports.

:naruto:: 45-55; Rely on upthrow combos; Ness shouldn't rely on playing safe since fair beats side-b and pk fire goes through lying clones; play aggressive; Naruto can edgeguard ness bad but so can ness(for once) so keep safe and make sure to ledgehog whenever you can. Pk flash will also be effective.

:bomberman:: 40-60; Both characters punish the hell out of each other so its a lot of Ness spacing fairs and BBM spacing bairs; Be wary of BBM's dash dance and avoid getting put into edgeguard situations sh dance and avoid getting put into edgeguard situations. Plays similar to the zelda matchup, but much faster.

:goku:: 40-60

:captainfalcon:: 40-60

:donkeykong:: 35-65

:blackmage:: 45-55

Even Matchups

:pikachu: 50-50; Ask Tyler

:tails:: 50-50; Both have challenging approaching moves so be weary and try to bait a counter; try to play this mu like fox but a bit slower; tails can deal some devistating blows so keep it safe (space with pk fire, throw out a pk thunder, or wait for an up-b and decide a punish from there)

:yoshi:: 50-50

:mario::50-50

Favorable Matchups

:megaman:: 55-45

:ichigo:: 55-45

:samus:: 60-40

:peach:: 60-40

:jigglypuff:: 60-40

:chibirobo:: 65-35

:wario:: 60-40

:sonic:: 55-45

:kirby:: 60-40

:sora:: 65-35

yea and like feel free to criticize or whatever. feel free to ask for explanations on the ones we didnt explain btw.

Can you explain the ones I Bold/Blue'd? Mostly to help me, but also a little curiosity

Sm4sh Main: :pit:
Brawl Main: :kirby:
Melee Main: Image
Fav Video Game Character: :yoshi:

Thunder Edge Staff Member: Head Tournament Organizer (when Thunder Edge existed)

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:28 am

sorry it took me all year everyone
Godot wrote:
I agree on the CF MU, but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I love playing this mu but falcon wins pretty convincingly, especially offline. Ness is mostly gonna try to catch falcon's dash dance with fair and falcon's gonna try to bait and punish said fair with his nair to grab to air wobble. The punish game is in Ness's favor imo but falcon should have a much easier time getting in. Ness cant really use his projectiles to zone due to falcon's speed so he's is kinda screwed when approaching, but once he gets in falcon's gonna eat a huge combo.
Its a very momentum based matchup and probably my favorite in the whole game.

AxeEnding999 wrote:
Explanation on the Black Mage matchup against Ness? :blackmage:

This matchup is borked as f*** but we say black mage wins just based off bm being a better character in general :sweat:
its very unexplored and is probably gonna get changed soon once appley gets off his a** and plays. :ness:

TSF|Skailler wrote:

Its like the Falcon matchup but if falcon had worse followups, worse neutral, worse speed, and a useless projectile (for this matchup). Ness's fair just covers so much and chibi's oos is too slow to properly punish it so ness can kinda just run over chibi for free. Ness also punishes and edgeguards chibi much harder than he does to Ness.

Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:30 am

MGN Username: ohgosick
Currently Playing: Anything not called 'Undertale'.
Waifu: ur mum lmao
> :peach: 60-40

Interesting, I think the opposite here, care to elaborate?

The Americans came in and burned my village with their flaming uppercuts,
killing our water buffalo and leaving this scar on my chest...

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 am
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
Explain the Samus MU? I just don't see it being that skewed in Ness' favor, if at all. Is it just one of those match ups that you guys spent 2 seconds on and were like "yeah, that's good enough"?

Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:41 pm

MGN Username: Ninjawarrior93
Currently Playing: SSF2
For the Peach MU, I feel that Ness would still have the advantage but instead of 60-40, it would be 55-45. So yea care to explain?

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 pm

Dark Ermac wrote:
Explain the Samus MU? I just don't see it being that skewed in Ness' favor, if at all. Is it just one of those match ups that you guys spent 2 seconds on and were like "yeah, that's good enough"?

yea basically, ness can dthrow upair samus at kill percent if he's next to frame perfect which is the only thing i know about this MU. Fair beats missiles so ness shouldn't be getting zoned out too hard.
idk this mu who plays samus
Ninjawarrior93 wrote:
For the Peach MU, I feel that Ness would still have the advantage but instead of 60-40, it would be 55-45. So yea care to explain?

Peach is gonna have a really tough time getting in against ness pressure due to her poor range and slow speed. Ness has really good followups whereas as peach can only reset to neutral for every opening. Ness can hang back and shoot projectiles forcing peach to approach which is very bad for m'lady peach.
90% of ness's MUs boil down to "how does X deal with fair pressure" and "is fair good in this MU".

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:11 pm

fixed a bunch of s***
wow this character sucks dick

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 pm
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next