The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm

[ 9 posts ] 
How to make a Decent RP 

1) Describe everything in great detail. This serves several purposes. One, it gives your readers a feeling of nostalgia for The Return of the King by Tolkien, a staple of the fantasy gamer diet and notorious for excruciatingly descriptive narrative. Two, it is easy. Three, it eats up space that would otherwise be wasted on things like dialogue and plot development. Think of padding a high school essay for a minimum word count and you’re on the right track.

2) You are tortured internally somehow. After describing a lot of stuff, your hero reads a letter, has a conversation, or just thinks of something which brings him into serious emotional conflict, or just makes him a little itchy. Don’t let up on the descriptive hyperbole! Note that if you don’t mind sounding arrogant or if you are writing a story to bolster your guild’s faltering morale after they’ve lost their 547th guild battle, you don’t necessarily have to be in turmoil. Rather, you just become more determined to win and defeat the enemy or something. The story will not be as good. No one will notice, espcecially since you will be posting it to your own guild’s message board, where crowds of yes-men will be glad to kiss your a** without even reading it.

3) You end the story in some sort of overacted manner. This is actually the only thing that happens, which makes it all the more exciting. Good options for a story ender include: shaking your fist at the sky and swearing you will hunt down some PK who ticked you off; walking morosely into the sunset in an angst-ridden teenage fashion (remember to draw a cloak around you); grinning and chuckling to yourself, anticipating a follow-up story where something interesting may actually happen.

Sorry if this is out of place I couldnt find a decent spot to post this.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 pm

i don't see how this applies to making an rp but thx

Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 pm
Site Admin

So Whim and Nook are sharing the account?

Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm

What do you mean?

Mon May 31, 2010 9:46 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Kiki wrote:
So Whim and Nook are sharing the account?

Maybe they figure if they suck at trolling on their own they can team up and succeed?

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Mon May 31, 2010 9:47 pm
YIM WWW

I'm using a local libray computer.

Mon May 31, 2010 9:51 pm

MGN Username: Hadou
Currently Playing: Hella rpgs
Ok, all accusations of you being Nook are back on.
Didn't we get another Whimmy alt a few weeks ago?

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 am

I love being tortured while I RP.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 pm

This is a horrible guide.
It is not generically made for any type of RP, but is formatted instead to the fantasy type based on Lord of the Rings (as you blatantly made obvious in the first step). There are several other types, all hybrids of the basic modern day, Fantasy, or science fiction archetypes.
In fact, this is VERY specified, and can only be applied to the OP's own RP or if someone made an RP based on these guidelines.

Also what is a PK? Please elaborate when you apply terms no one would understand.

Lastly, there are already two guides on this said "decent RP" topic, both found in that Academy section.

Why Your RP Failed: Tips & Tricks to making a successful RP

Writing an advanced RP
^ Incomplete because you lot are a bunch of assholes who don't stick to their commitments.

All in all, I am unimpressed with your so called knowledge on the wide topic of RP, as you shun the other archetypes completely in this lesson.
Why don't you try again when you can write a more generic examples fit for the archetypes and their hybrid types (steampunk, cyberpunk, etc.)

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm
 [ 9 posts ]