The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:21 pm

[ 5 posts ] 
The GodMod and other important rp no no's Guide by Panda66 

Copypasta from old forum.

1:
Q ~ When is it ok to GodMod?
A ~ Only if the RP storyline calls for your character to die at a predefined time, or be killed by a predefined person or weapon. In all other cases, GodMod is bad, it's like giving a drunken guy heroin, and putting him in front of the wheel of a race car, it ruins EVERYTHING for EVERYONE.

2:
Q ~ Should I be literate all the time.
A ~ This also depends, but only on your character, you see, to keep it fun, you should always be literate, but sometimes, you'll find a person, who's character talks like this: Gau no likey, auaaaaaaaaa, Gau want help you, he haf shiny thing! Shiny Shiny! ~and that's ok. However, when you are writing out your actions, you must always be literate, unless you have a disorder of some sort or otherwise, that keeps you from being literate, and before you say it no, being a noob is not a disorder...well maybe it causes disorder, but it aint gonna stop you from being normal and literate like the rest of us. As well, No chat/net speak or 1337 5p33k in your post.

3:
Q ~ Can I use someone else’s art my appearance?
A ~ Yes, but if you claim it's your own, you don't want to be proven wrong. Trust me.

4:
Q ~ Moo?
A ~ Noobish conquest is bad, spam is too, if your here to spam, you will have your spam deleted, and your RP privileges should be revoked for one month.

5:
Q ~ If I could lose my privileges, would my character be deleted as well?
A ~ No, that’s just mean, if we did that, it would be as a drastic measure, and only would we do it if we permaban you from the RP section.

6:
Q ~ What should we really be paying attention to?
A ~ A lot of things, here is a list.

1. Communicate: Nothing, I repeat, nothing in role playing is more important than character interactions. If anyone says otherwise… well, they must not understand the fundamentals of role playing, then. As my teacher for Speech says, “You can not communicate.” Digest that for a moment; everything you do and don’t do "communicates something". Whether you’re not talking and sulking (which communicates to others that you’re not talking because you’re upset) or speaking incoherently (which others will assume means that you’re excited about something to be talking so quickly), every character interaction is vital.

2. Take the Hit: You’re not invincible, and you’re bound to get hit by something sometime. Said object might inflict serious or superficial damage, but acknowledging that your character is wounded is enough to let others know that yes, you can take a hit without complaining. Your character may complain, but you as the role player are mature enough to realize that not all things go your way.

3. Know a bit of Anatomy: Sounds painful? It’s not, really. Just be aware of what does what, and what injuries to certain parts can do to affect your reactions. For example, an arrow that strikes your foot may prevent you from putting all your weight on it and slow you down while you limp to safety, but an arrow that buries itself deep into your thigh will render the leg too painful to move. You’ll be dragging your leg if someone helps you walk- otherwise, you’re rendered temporarily lame. Likewise, a blow to the shoulder is the most crippling of non-lethal blows, preventing the victim from moving their affected arm. Things like that can make or break a wannabe-god if you can catch ‘em in the act of trying to shrug off a serious injury and move things they shouldn’t be able to more than they’re able to.

4. Realize your Character’s Knowledge: Concerning others, your character only knows what he or she has seen, or what they have been told by others; your character doesn’t know as much as you do. They don’t know what they are thinking, only what they are outwardly expressing. Take this to heart when a person is trying to deceive you with a friendly smile even though a knife is behind their back- if they’ve been proven trustworthy and your character doesn’t see the knife, they have no reason not to greet the other in a friendly fashion.

5. Run Spell Check: I’m fairly sure all of you have some sort of word processor that has this wonderful tool already included with its basic package, so there’s no reason not to have one. At the very least, it won’t let you misspell easy words without your knowledge, and prevents you from accidentally misspelling a word you had intended to use to impress your friends. Though, if your aim is to impress, be sure you know what you’re talking about, too. It’s no use using a word whose definition you’re not sure of- using ‘antagonize’ instead of ‘agony’, for example, might get you laughed out of a role play if they’re sticklers about such things.

6. Have Fun: If you’re not having fun, it’ll show through your writing. Rather than dragging others down with you, politely give the role play thread’s starter/leader a notice in advance if you’re going to drop out. Don’t just vanish, but don’t force yourself to stay if you’re not enjoying yourself, either!

7:
Q ~ What are the most important things not to do?
A ~ Well here is a rundown in order of importance.

1. Godmod: Godmodding is easily defined as taking control over another person’s characters, whether you force them to walk, talk, fight, or even smile. You control your own characters- not theirs. This also means that you can’t auto-hit- not all of your blows in battles will actually hit an opponent. Granted, some very skilled role players can manipulate others into taking damage, but they never say it outright, choosing to beat around the bush and limit your options of escape. The line is tricky, though, and it’s not one you ever want to cross.

2. Aimbot: You cannot hit all of the time. Aimbotters are those that insist on one hundred percent accuracy, even if he or she happens to be shooting a Winchester rifle in a blizzard with winds exceeding a hundred miles an hour when it’s as dark as night and no one else can see their fingers in front of their frozen noses. There are many things that can go wrong during an attack, and missing certainly is a realistic complication. Of course, on the flip side of the coin, you can’t dodge all the time, either, thinking that you’re invincible that way. If you’re a Pegasus Knight flying ten feet above fifty archers that are all firing at you at the same time, chances are you’ll get hit… a lot. And your enemy shall have fine Pegasus-feather pillows to sleep on that night. Congratulations.

3. Post a million times: Sounds strange, no? Well, posting is all fine and dandy, but please put some time into them and be aware that, if you post one sentence each in seven separate posts before anyone else can enter a keystroke, you can probably mash ‘em together to make a single, larger post. Also, please keep time in perspective and respect the actions of your fellow role players. If you’ve blocked a blow, fired a bullet, had a cup of tea under the rosy sunset of a beach thirty miles away by the time your opponent has just managed to swing his sword, you have a definite problem. Their time is your time; respect the passage of it, please.

4. Daydream: If someone talks to you, it’s common courtesy to respond. Talk to others, don’t ignore them- and, if they haven’t moved, wait for them to post before you do! Don’t stare at a caterpillar four yards away from you while your boss is trying to tell you about an urgent mission. They post actions for a reaction; please be polite enough to give them one. Likewise, if you’re talking to someone, please let them react before posting something new. A character can only digest so much.
THAT ALSO MEANS NO CONTROLLING OTHER PEOPLES CHARACTERS!

5. ‘Quake Items’: Unless you’re a random REAL god that can sprout a horse from his or her loins (which is rather disgusting, if you think about it), items do not simply appear out of the blue. Looking down on the ground of a temple no one’s visited in millions of years will not merit you finding a quiver of new, perfect arrows. It doesn’t make sense! And, unless your character is a guy or gal who doesn’t care about defiling the dead, they most likely won’t be taking arrows from the dead bodies of enemies, either.

~ Snow the Fox
[A.K.A. Panda66]

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm

Currently Playing: LOL
Belth, why do you post this instend of panda? :?

ps:
Quote:
Gau no likey, auaaaaaaaaa, Gau want help you, he haf shiny thing! Shiny Shiny!

I love panda SOOO much for this right now.

Posts on old MG: 2432, level 16

Image chóu

Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:56 pm

Nacritico wrote:
Belth, why do you post this instend of panda? :?

ps:
Quote:
Gau no likey, auaaaaaaaaa, Gau want help you, he haf shiny thing! Shiny Shiny!

I love panda SOOO much for this right now.

*looks around*

Are you a RPer?

May the path of the hero lead to the Triforce.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:17 pm

Currently Playing: LOL
J-corp wrote:
*looks around*

Are you a RPer?

That's out of topic and should not be asked!!

And I'm not saying that just to avoid the question, not at all! :shifty:

(Well, I plan to get starting to be one)

Posts on old MG: 2432, level 16

Image chóu

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:00 pm

Nacritico wrote:
J-corp wrote:
*looks around*

Are you a RPer?

That's out of topic and should not be asked!!

And I'm not saying that just to avoid the question, not at all! :shifty:

(Well, I plan to get starting to be one)

Look, don't post in the RP section if you're not an RPer.

EDIT: Oh, so you are a RPer. I think I want to battle you.

May the path of the hero lead to the Triforce.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:00 pm
 [ 5 posts ]