The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:24 pm

[ 8 posts ] 
In light of the new topic 
Site Admin

So, in light of the recent topic that we had pop up in our hallowed grounds, it reminded me of the times when people would have RP matches. While I myself have no interests in RP battles, it seemed like people enjoyed them back in the day; a bit of wanton destruction and bloodshed to get the blood boiling. That being said, what are all of your thoughts of an Arena thread dedicated to such battles?

Each combatant would agree upon a location and use characters that they've drafted in the RP Bio section to battle. The winner would be determined by either, one person simply outsmarting the individual, within reason and the scope of their abilities, or if it drags on til the cow comes home, the outside viewers of the battle can vote who they think was the better fighter and then that person is declared victorious.

Thoughts?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
RP battles don't really work in my opinion.

If you can't control the other character and there is no system to settle attacking outside of writing there's no way it would ever get anywhere.

If it was run more like a tabletop where dice or coins or whatever were used (by a neutral third party), then maybe it would work better, but methinks that judging by the kinds of people who prefer battles over stories this method wouldn't find much favor.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Eh, a lot of the characters I make in context of a roleplay probably wouldn't be good at Pvp due to having room to grow during the story built in, and any character I would post in the RP character creator section would be OP due to already having lived their grand adventure were they've already gotten their god-tier weapons and developed all the skills necessary to face their big bads.

So, no?

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:26 pm

we're not the naive young children who are satisfied with dodge-n-shoot battle topics anymore, so it won't work without some really interesting and elegant moderation

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Waifu: I'm married
let's do it

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:59 pm
YIM WWW

PvP is as valid a form of role-playing as plot driven adventures. They offer a nice variety, trading the expansive but slow progression of a story arc for the focused, quick pace of a one on one match. They cut right to the action, and though that isn't inherently a good thing, it can be very liberating, especially knowing how sluggish the RP section can be. They don't even necessarily have to be fights, as they could work in the context of any form of competition. Having a dedicated thread for matches of this nature is a good idea too. It would act as a clear go-to thread for anyone who wanted to try their hand at PvP, while keeping it contained for those who aren't interested. Not to mention preventing things like the -- and I'm not gonna sugarcoat it -- fiasco we all just witnessed from being in plain view.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:18 pm

If the forum had some form of diceroll option that we could verify rather than just having people decide it would be okay, sorta? But it really comes down to maturity and who can decide who's outclassed. In that event it requires a mediator otherwise.

I would love to honestly but it's not feasible without both parties being mature. Otherwise it just turns into NO BUT I DODEGSHD or I SUMMON THE EXODIA

And silently you die...

Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:52 am

Currently Playing: Dragonball Xenoverse, Civilization 5, Europa Universalis 4
I would agree that if there a way to moderate it so there wouldn't be complications.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46 pm
 [ 8 posts ]