The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 pm

[ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Black Mage 

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
Drarky wrote:
Jan_Solo wrote:
Kirby's Stone makes him invincible
BM's Dash A. only had super armor
Both moves turn the user into Stone

Now Beta removed Armor entirely...
"Logic"

What kind of logic is that? Kirby's DownB and BM's DA are nothing like, that's a terrible comparison.

Sure, because BM totally doesn't turn into stone... Wait he doesn't now? Damn, we might not be getting DDD for a while since a lot of chars can do what he does anyway (Kirby, Yoshi, Wario "eating" N-Spec; Kirby and slightly GnW Hammer; BD because Waddle Dee; A bunch of multi-jump chars; and a Guy who's Dash Attack is EATING S*** as an attack)...

Edit: And apparently, noone replied to my comment about BM being the FF1 Glass Cannon, guess I was right. BTW, iirc Monk/Master scales based on MP (I think, all I know for sure is that BM is weaker defensively)

Edit2: Actually, I think I'm fine about his EXTREME nerfs. I was looking for an excuse to drop some guys since it's gotta be hard to consistently play 11 chars (already dropped Goku, MK, and now BM). Thanks Devs! (and you too Drarky, I guess...)

Edit3: Almost forgot, I also dropped fox but am going to pick up Pit and slightly Pacman

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:28 am

MGN Username: Drarky
Currently Playing: SSF2, Starbound
Waifu: Lenna Tycoon
Two attacks sharing some kind of design doesn't mean they should have the same properties. If Kirby's DownB didn't have armor it would be terrible, while BM's DA is still functional.

Also, stop exaggerating the nerfs, they are not "severe", they are pretty tame for what they could have been. The devs did a great job in balancing BM's polarizing strenght and weaknesses, which is what they were looking to balance in Beta.

ImageImageImageImage

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Drarky wrote:
Two attacks sharing some kind of design doesn't mean they should have the same properties. If Kirby's DownB didn't have armor it would be terrible, while BM's DA is still functional.

Also, stop exaggerating the nerfs, they are not "severe", they are pretty tame for what they could have been. The devs did a great job in balancing BM's polarizing strenght and weaknesses, which is what they were looking to balance in Beta.

Why don't they just be more accurate to the source material and make him a Glass Cannon? He could be balanced in the way that he has EXTREME strengths and weaknesses, just like how a traditional Glass Cannon works. BM in FF1 was one of the BEST classes and was FF's mascot (before Cloud or Chocobo) for a good reason: he's so good in game. Even non-FF1 Black Mages are pretty much borderline OP in some games and at least decent in some others. Black Mages are weak physically AND defensively but have extreme utility with their spells, only beaten my some future mage types and the Red Mage (but let's be honest, Red Mage sucked in FF1 as classic Warrior+BM+WM+Thief/Monk was the most efficient strategy). Black magic can range from putting enemies to sleep, to pretty much unleashing an F-ING NUKE!!!.

tldr; Black Mage is a Glass Cannon, nerf his survivability and physical power not his spells that were pretty much meant to be OP

Secondaries:

For Fun:

Hopefuls:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:55 am

Because that would make him a polarizing character, and that design fails horribly in Smash.

EDIT: Also, RM had a niche as a Temper bot in !NES FF1, which worked in the Warrior/Monk/RM/BM team.

ImageImageImageImage

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:21 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Icefrog-style balancing (giving characters strengths instead of fixing weaknesses) is a very controversial subject in Smash, and ultimately I have to agree with Drarky. Consider PM 3.02, where almost every character had some weakness, but got in return a crazy movement option, 0-deaths, amazing recovery, amazing kill move, or as many of the above as you want. People did not like this at all. Some characters had infinites, some characters had movement gimmicks that made them untouchable unless they wanted to approach, and some characters had stupid good killing power.

Smash isn't like RPG's or the like, where you can build a party or change characters easily. Mains spend years developing skill in a character, and if that character's matchups devolve into RPS it makes the game incredibly unfun.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:27 pm

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
(To Jan-Solo)
Yeah and lets give Luffy Gear 4th in his moveset (not final smash) and Goku SS4 amirite

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Okay, maybe I over exaggerated. But Black Mage is a Glass Cannon and there are pretty good examples of Glass Cannons in Smash without making them too broken or too bad.

Jigglypuff, while currently unviable in WiiU/3DS, was a good example in Melee and slightly in Brawl and WiiU/3DS.
Pikachu (and maybe Fox) also works but is most of a Fragile Speester, but still fits as a weak defensively but great offensively.
Some people say Young Link in Melee and a few even say Toon Link is, and I see their point in a weaker defensively but has higher damage potential than Adult Link.
Lloyd here in SSF2 can fit the description as well, and he's actually pretty good.
Does Sandbag count? idk...
The point is, a Glass Cannon can work effectively in Smash.

On the note of Haste, the main thing I don't like about the new Haste is that it's WAYYY harder to land (approx. 70% less grabbox than 0.9b) and WAYYY less rewarding (approx. 55% weaker than 0.9b). And it made more sense before as a combo tool than a kill move as Haste is not what kills in FF1, it's the attacks AFTER casting Haste.

And about the grabs, all of them seem to be more useful now, but an additional hit dealing 2% for the actual D-Throw wouldn't hurt right? A slower grab might be needed IMO.

And I never thought that there could be another Dash Attack as bad as BBM's (or Maybe Top Spin if it was copied right out of WiiU/3DS)... Can it even kill anymore?

Secondaries:

For Fun:

Hopefuls:

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Jan_Solo wrote:
Okay, maybe I over exaggerated. But Black Mage is a Glass Cannon and there are pretty good examples of Glass Cannons in Smash without making them too broken or too bad.

Jigglypuff, while currently unviable in WiiU/3DS, was a good example in Melee and slightly in Brawl and WiiU/3DS.
Pikachu (and maybe Fox) also works but is most of a Fragile Speester, but still fits as a weak defensively but great offensively.
Some people say Young Link in Melee and a few even say Toon Link is, and I see their point in a weaker defensively but has higher damage potential than Adult Link.
Lloyd here in SSF2 can fit the description as well, and he's actually pretty good.
Does Sandbag count? idk...
The point is, a Glass Cannon can work effectively in Smash.

On the note of Haste, the main thing I don't like about the new Haste is that it's WAYYY harder to land (approx. 70% less grabbox than 0.9b) and WAYYY less rewarding (approx. 55% weaker than 0.9b). And it made more sense before as a combo tool than a kill move as Haste is not what kills in FF1, it's the attacks AFTER casting Haste.

And about the grabs, all of them seem to be more useful now, but an additional hit dealing 2% for the actual D-Throw wouldn't hurt right? A slower grab might be needed IMO.

And I never thought that there could be another Dash Attack as bad as BBM's (or Maybe Top Spin if it was copied right out of WiiU/3DS)... Can it even kill anymore?

what is a glass cannon?

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:04 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
A glass cannon is a character archetype that is extremely strong on offense, but is very weak on defense. An example would be Falco in Melee: he has an amazing neutral with his lasers and the biggest punishes of anyone, but a pitiful recovery, high falling speed, and low weight make him combo food and dead when offstage. Examples in SSF2 would be Lloyd (incredible range and great punishes, but terrible recovery and very comboable) or Fox (amazing neutral and good punishes, but very vulnerable offstage and combo food).

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:29 pm

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
A glass cannon is a character archetype that is extremely strong on offense, but is very weak on defense. An example would be Falco in Melee: he has an amazing neutral with his lasers and the biggest punishes of anyone, but a pitiful recovery, high falling speed, and low weight make him combo food and dead when offstage. Examples in SSF2 would be Lloyd (incredible range and great punishes, but terrible recovery and very comboable) or Fox (amazing neutral and good punishes, but very vulnerable offstage and combo food).

thanks but what is the name for the opositearchetype(good defence but weak offence) IMO :blackmage: :jigglypuff: :kirby: falls in this type. for example BM is very good at edgeguards
off topic i happy whit the side b nerf 6/10 BM spam this move only for the range of it and beta side b looks more like a kill move than a combo move

Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:35 pm

yamnow wrote:
TheCodeSamurai wrote:

thanks but what is the name for the opositearchetype(good defence but weak offence) IMO :blackmage: :jigglypuff: :kirby: falls in this type. for example BM is very good at edgeguards
off topic i happy whit the side b nerf 6/10 BM spam this move only for the range of it and beta side b looks more like a kill move than a combo move

I think a "Tank" would be the opposite of a GC.

But on Haste, what if they just increase the endlag on Whiffed Side-Bs? and maybe keep the Whiffed Special Fall thingy too and that should lessen the Spam.
FF1 Haste INCREASED the amount of hits you do (twice to be exact), you use Temper or Saber to kill faster.
Haste makes more sense as a Combo Starter than a Finisher since you would usually start a FF battle by using Haste or some other party buff or enemy debuff.

I revised this thing again for fricks' sake
Quote:
So here are my version of buffs:
+Haste has an approx. 40% shorter 0.9b grabbox with the additional Beta grabbox combined
~Grabbing with the "line grabbox" will make BM do the Beta Haste attack dealing 10%
~Grabbing with the "Beta grabbox" will make BM do the 0.9b Haste attack dealing 18%
+Haste can be cancelled into a Jump or an Aerial anytime during the Haste attacking animation
-Whiffed Haste leaves you helpless
-Haste can't grab "downed" characters
-Whiffed Haste has WAY more Endlag
-Haste Kills Later (could kill Mario at about 110 at FD where Player 2 Spawns)

How the Grabbox works:

0.9b:
:blackmage: ------

:blackmage: --- :megaman:
Megaman takes 18%

Beta:
:blackmage:_______O
:blackmage:______ :megaman:
Megaman takes 10%

My Suggestion:
:blackmage: ----___O

:blackmage: -- :megaman: _O
Megaman takes 10% with the Beta Haste Attack

:blackmage: ----___ :megaman:
Megaman takes 18% with the 0.9b Haste Attack

Secondaries:

For Fun:

Hopefuls:

Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 am

MGN Username: MaskofTruth
Currently Playing: SSF2
Props to your dipictation.
But your buff list is scary. Being able to cancel haste with a jump or aerial would just make BM sideB a pseudo turbo combo character where you can land haste then jumpcancel into a grab for free damage and followups

Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

It... certainly is an interesting idea, but I'm not really into it, for the reasons stated above.

ImageImageImageImage

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Yeah, maybe it was too OP... It was Alpharad-Senpai's idea!

But yeah, maybe it can only be cancelled if the "Beta O Grabbox" only or atleast keep the grabbox thingy I made so you can get rewarded for putting effort in spacing and timing or you get less reward for spamming it would seem pretty balanced for me.

Secondaries:

For Fun:

Hopefuls:

Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:12 am

Or we could just leave as the Beta version, which works great overall.

But maybe that's just me :blackmage:

ImageImageImageImage

Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:15 am
 [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next