The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:26 pm

[ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Genesis Project: World Building 

Ichigo wrote:
Also, just throwing this out there, but...

It seems some people want powerful other worldly creatures to exist in our world and from the sounds of things these creatures wouldn't necessarily be creators or gods, but could be worshiped by cults or even entire countries.

I kinda' dig the idea, but I also understand why someone would be against it. In the grand scheme of things I think it would be kinda' interesting for our world to be a tiny spec encased by a much more dangerous universe filled with creatures, diseases, and incomprehensible energy that occasionally pass into ours. It would be like our world existed within theirs and was just too insignificant to notice.

Something like that. But the way you phrase it, I will now be sad if one of our gods isn't just a expy of Horton the elephant.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:07 pm
Site Admin

Ichigo wrote:
Also, just throwing this out there, but...

It seems some people want powerful other worldly creatures to exist in our world and from the sounds of things these creatures wouldn't necessarily be creators or gods, but could be worshiped by cults or even entire countries.

I kinda' dig the idea, but I also understand why someone would be against it. In the grand scheme of things I think it would be kinda' interesting for our world to be a tiny spec encased by a much more dangerous universe filled with creatures, diseases, and incomprehensible energy that occasionally pass into ours. It would be like our world existed within theirs and was just too insignificant to notice.

That'd actually be pretty clever, and explain why these things kind of happen, but don't happen all the time.

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:11 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
I'm fine with that

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Waifu: I'm married
OTHER planets have their own gods

that's what we have a wiki for right?

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:27 pm
YIM WWW
Site Moderator

So I'm completely cool with Kiki's format for things religion wise. If you guys think we're missing anything just throw it out there now.

Format: show
Kiki wrote:
Ok, so I've done some thinking about religion. I have no idea how it should be organised, since there are so many ways for religions to be structured, but I do think Whim is on the right track, with things we need to cover for religions.

Holy Sites
Centre of Influence
Deities/Religious Figures/Guiding Principles
(Also considering deities - perceived appearance, multiple names/titles? their sacred symbols/animals/dominion/patron of a country/city/thing)
Rites/Rituals/Festivals
Holy Texts/Major Legends
History - How was it created? How'd it spread?

Also, since Marosian culture is the most prevalent, I'd like peer input into the formation of the religion...It can't all be my doing guys >.>

Basically, what I'm planning is that there are going to be 12 main deities, each of them ruling a month (we can even name our months in this world after them in the common tongue) The 12 deities would be split into groups of 4 factions, probably related to each other in some way or another. In each faction there would be a ruling "head honcho" figure. This figure would have dominion over a season (since Maros has 4 seasons), and a cardinal direction.

So based on the history of the culture I have already named 6 gods/goddesses.

1) Eratos - God of War, Victory, Warriors
2) Gwendell - Goddess of Law, Honour, Kings
3) Aros - God of Earth, Harvest, Farmers
4) Dylia - God of Health, Healing, Healers
5) Irdessa - Goddess of Hunting, Wilderness, Hunters
6) Hok - God of the Mountains, Metals, Blacksmiths

We can establish the meat of the religion once the main deities are done.

It seems for the most part people want other worldly creatures and low activity god-like beings, both of which are cool for me. We just need to watch how active some of these beings whilst making it very clear they aren't all powerful.

I would also like to expand my idea a bit with the whole dangerous world just outside ours thing. I think it would be best if our world was part of a bigger system, kind of like a planet within a planet. The best way I can explain this without a visual aid would be our world exists in an ocean somewhere on a planet where all these dangerous beings exist and only during certain events, like a solar eclipse could one pass the boundaries of our world and enter the other. This way teleportation or space travel wouldn't really have to be a thing. Someone could just hop in a boat and start sailing into the unknown, solar eclipse occurs deep out in the ocean and bam you're outside our boundaries.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 pm

Okay then, um... What I'm thinking about doing then is going though all the cultures (there's 17 18! (I must have miscounted on the map, for 18 are listed in OP...) Still can't count, looks like 17 in OP now without a refresh so... whatever) and pulling out each deity explicitly mentioned in them and forming groups of those with similar Spheres. Then from those we can decide which of those are "yeah, XXX and YYY are probably the same one" and which ones are "actually I'd prefer if ZZZ was a separate entity", and form the Marosian Pantheon from the twelve Spheres that have the most deities lumped together and/or the twelve Spheres that make sense out of proximity or completeness. Since Kiki asked for help with that religion first, and would give all of us a good jumping point to start from. (Also allowing us to know who's toes we can or cannot step on some.)

Of course it will still be a discussion at that point. I just want to get that information centralized for ease or reference.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Oh my gosh COUNTING, cannot even. Okay, for sure 18 real, still existing and/or important cultures. However much of those have literally nothing in the way of their cultural Gods or other belief system(s), like, at all outlined in there posts.

The Shohoan, Hingrmin, Yarlindish, Katyann, and Akkadites all have no Deities/Religious Affiliation specified or any sort of belief system that would replace religion or conformation on being Atheistic.

In addition the Farnese and Pukutehtilikhekehtikuli have no Deities/Religious Affiliation specified, but have bushido-like and Shinto-like beliefs mentioned, respectively.

The Ellsari, Arelli, and Ethaldi all have The Nameless Ones, which is just a clever catch all for all the Gods we do come up with, though it seems the Ethaldi may have had a specific God(s) at one time before the visit to the Oracle?

The Lenosains had Local Gods at one time, but none are explicitly named...

The Hararan and Istarian cultures just have the Marosian Pantheon clause, but no word if they contributed anything to it...

So at least a few of those thirteen (13!) cultures are currently in need of SOME kind of input before we can even try to do a 12 God Pantheon, since we currently only have 9 actually unique Deities mentioned throughout all cultures. (And I'm pretty sure some of those might want to be grouped in the Marosian Pantheon...) Those 9 being:

(Alyrian) Dyrrys, Marsh Goddess

(Alyrian) Arryst, Earth God

(Alyrian) Syr, Sea God

(Wrokokamnee) Mama Kroha, Jungle Goddess, Maybe a Gaia-like figure

(Tosian) O'zar, Volcano God, Seems like he might be a War/Fire/Mountain God

(Marosian) Eratos, God of War

(Marosian) Gwendell, Goddess of Law

(Marosian-Elundish) Hok, Mountain God, also God of Ore

(Zyelar) Unnamed Deity, Life/Nature Deity of Unspecified Sex, totally a Gaia-like figure. (I didn't mention it but she is a considered a Goddess when it comes to her sex, due to her role of life giver.)

So, yeah, in summary, can we have some, at least vague, hints to some of the Gods that you guys are thinking about? Because I don't really know how to precede with helping Kiki with out your input... Of course if this planning thing is a terrible idea completely, go ahead and do whatever and I'll just follow along.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:14 am
Site Moderator

so uh are cultures are closed

because s*** i felt like finishing mine after centuries of procrastination

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:23 am
Site Moderator

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Oh my gosh COUNTING, cannot even. Okay, for sure 18 real, still existing and/or important cultures. However much of those have literally nothing in the way of their cultural Gods or other belief system(s), like, at all outlined in there posts.

The Shohoan, Hingrmin, Yarlindish, Katyann, and Akkadites all have no Deities/Religious Affiliation specified or any sort of belief system that would replace religion or conformation on being Atheistic.

In addition the Farnese and Pukutehtilikhekehtikuli have no Deities/Religious Affiliation specified, but have bushido-like and Shinto-like beliefs mentioned, respectively.

The Ellsari, Arelli, and Ethaldi all have The Nameless Ones, which is just a clever catch all for all the Gods we do come up with, though it seems the Ethaldi may have had a specific God(s) at one time before the visit to the Oracle?

The Lenosains had Local Gods at one time, but none are explicitly named...

The Hararan and Istarian cultures just have the Marosian Pantheon clause, but no word if they contributed anything to it...

So at least a few of those thirteen (13!) cultures are currently in need of SOME kind of input before we can even try to do a 12 God Pantheon, since we currently only have 9 actually unique Deities mentioned throughout all cultures. (And I'm pretty sure some of those might want to be grouped in the Marosian Pantheon...) Those 9 being:

(Alyrian) Dyrrys, Marsh Goddess

(Alyrian) Arryst, Earth God

(Alyrian) Syr, Sea God

(Wrokokamnee) Mama Kroha, Jungle Goddess, Maybe a Gaia-like figure

(Tosian) O'zar, Volcano God, Seems like he might be a War/Fire/Mountain God

(Marosian) Eratos, God of War

(Marosian) Gwendell, Goddess of Law

(Marosian-Elundish) Hok, Mountain God, also God of Ore

(Zyelar) Unnamed Deity, Life/Nature Deity of Unspecified Sex, totally a Gaia-like figure. (I didn't mention it but she is a considered a Goddess when it comes to her sex, due to her role of life giver.)

So, yeah, in summary, can we have some, at least vague, hints to some of the Gods that you guys are thinking about? Because I don't really know how to precede with helping Kiki with out your input... Of course if this planning thing is a terrible idea completely, go ahead and do whatever and I'll just follow along.

it seems like a lot of us purposely left our religions information super vague so we could adopt a religion made by another player.(or at least I did it this way). I mean, you're not supposed to think of a culture as YOURS, it's everyone's to mess with and change.

Also you did great pulling apart that information and making it easy to see, it'll help everyone to get an idea of what the current big picture is.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:30 am

I built mine around real world parallels as a guide (mongols, assryians, and Slavs) leaving the rest up to how we format it. However every society should have a religious structure based on some core beings that they interpret within their own cultural ideals.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 am
Site Moderator

Whimzer wrote:
I built mine around real world parallels as a guide (mongols, assryians, and Slavs) leaving the rest up to how we format it. However every society should have a religious structure based on some core beings that they interpret within their own cultural ideals.

I agree, we just need to remember not every culture needs its own religion. As you said, one culture can interpret a pantheon/religion different from another and that could lead to things like heresies(having heresies would be neat) and apostasies.

Also, religion isn't just a cultural thing, it's also a national thing. A country made up of Lenosians, Alyrians and Marosians might all worship the same god(s) because it's the state religion.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:35 am
Site Admin

Ichigo wrote:
Whimzer wrote:

I agree, we just need to remember not every culture needs its own religion. As you said, one culture can interpret a pantheon/religion different from another and that could lead to things like heresies(having heresies would be neat) and apostasies.

Also, religion isn't just a cultural thing, it's also a national thing. A country made up of Lenosians, Alyrians and Marosians might all worship the same god(s) because it's the state religion.

Agreed!

OMG Awesome scouring through everything Deci! So just some of my notes on the gods mentioned.

Mama Kroha definitely takes on a Gaia-like persona, so we can see that there exists a parallel between the Wrokokamnee and the Zyelars.
"
O'Zar I feel wouldn't belong to the Marosian Pantheon, as the Tosian culture is more of a "greater" subculture and not significant enough to be adopted by Maros. (Also, the religious practices are kind of too violent to be accepted at large, I feel.

I can see Syr having multiple parallels in other religions, being a sea god figure. The Marosian Pantheon will definitely have some sort of sea god(dess?), I just didn't mention it in the cultural background since they were originally more concerned with travel across the land to the west.

Arryst/Aros is an earth god in the agricultural sense.
Dyrrys/Dylia are more or less parallel goddesses. In the traditional Alyrian triumvirate religion, she takes on more of a Gaia-like persona similar to Mama Kroha but, because of Marosian cultural domination, she'll probably be more often referred to as a health/healing/herbal goddess.

Oh! I just realized you forgot the hunting Marosian-Faltic goddess Irdessa.

I can see the Hararans having some sort of warrior-cult goddess.
I personally don't see the Shoshoans as religious enough to form a cult, but they would probably have a Mama Kroha type goddess, or something parallel to the Marosian god Hok. They would largely accept the Marosian Pantheon though. They just wouldn't be all that zealous.
I don't see the Hingrmin being particularly religious either, though I feel like they might have more animalistic gods? They would also probably reject the Marosian Pantheon.
I feel like I'd like to see some sort of White Elk related god(dess) for the Yarlindish, reflecting how dependent they are on the animal in their society. It'd probably be some sort of Sky-Father type god.
I'm not sure if I see the Istarian's contributing anything to the Pantheon (perhaps a sea god?), or something that would have a parallel from the Lenosians, further showing the distant relationship between the two peoples.

Basically I didn't mention a god/goddess/creed if I felt it wasnt completely instrumental to the creation of a culture.

Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Kiki wrote:
I feel like I'd like to see some sort of White Elk related god(dess) for the Yarlindish, reflecting how dependent they are on the animal in their society. It'd probably be some sort of Sky-Father type god.

I was thinking on the lines of that too, reading through them the last time through. Though it might also be neat for an ageless (or seemingly ageless from the point of view of man) Great Elk to exist, that the Yarlindish specifically don't revere quite as a god, but do still celebrate for what it is. It could be like the Progenitor of the species, an ancient creature, perhaps one originally from this world, perhaps not. Probably with some innate magic, whether it could harness itself or no.

With antlers made of moonstone, and fur turned the color of a thousand years of knowledge, it walks on deafened hooves, guiding us as it follows.

At least, that's what had popped into my head after reading over them, and I thought it would add a little mystique to the world for creatures such as that to have the potential to exist. (Even though it may seem like I made a huge push for everyone to come up with cultural Gods, I totally support any other belief systems or codes, and believe those can often be much cooler, as they are simply more unique. It's just that in my experience early religion/other has a great effect on a culture, as does what eventually happens to it. That's why I guess I expected more Deities to be mentioned in the cultures themselves. From a logical point of view a major religion like the Marosain Pantheon is indeed not culture specific in it's current incarnation, but did have to stem from a singular culture at one point in time.)

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:23 am
Site Admin

Deciton_Reven wrote:
Kiki wrote:

I was thinking on the lines of that too, reading through them the last time through. Though it might also be neat for an ageless (or seemingly ageless from the point of view of man) Great Elk to exist, that the Yarlindish specifically don't revere quite as a god, but do still celebrate for what it is. It could be like the Progenitor of the species, an ancient creature, perhaps one originally from this world, perhaps not. Probably with some innate magic, whether it could harness itself or no.

With antlers made of moonstone, and fur turned the color of a thousand years of knowledge, it walks on deafened hooves, guiding us as it follows.

At least, that's what had popped into my head after reading over them, and I thought it would add a little mystique to the world for creatures such as that to have the potential to exist. (Even though it may seem like I made a huge push for everyone to come up with cultural Gods, I totally support any other belief systems or codes, and believe those can often be much cooler, as they are simply more unique. It's just that in my experience early religion/other has a great effect on a culture, as does what eventually happens to it. That's why I guess I expected more Deities to be mentioned in the cultures themselves. From a logical point of view a major religion like the Marosain Pantheon is indeed not culture specific in it's current incarnation, but did have to stem from a singular culture at one point in time.)

Omgggg I love that!! Very cool idea for a Great Elk!!

Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:44 am

I'm having a hard time figuring out how we're gonna decide base deities though, because I dunno if they should be completely distinct because there's less cultural interpretation

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:40 am
 [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next