The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
[C] Nintendo Switch 

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
We might as well. Talk about your thoughts on the device, your hopes, your fears, whatever.

Here's what we know:
- The thing can be played either at home or on the go thanks to a portable screen and detachable controller buttons.
- The controller can be connected to a base port for regular controller shape, to the screen, or they can be used without connecting them to anything.
- Some multiplayer games will allow for the use of half a controller, and player 2 can use the other half.
- There are rumors of a touch pad, but so far nothing hints at this.
- The console's being powered by a custom version of Nvidia Tegra.
- Games are distributed by cartridges again. This has its fair share of advantages: it's cheap to produce, loads data quickly, and most importantly, it uses the same hardware as the 3DS.
- Unfortunately, this does mean the Switch probably does not have backwards compatibility. However, some games appear to have been redesigned for porting, such as Splatoon.
- Among other companies, it has third-party support from Unity and Unreal, meaning that it will not only be easier to make games work on the console's hardware, but that they might even have the potential for cross-platform play.
- Most fascinatingly, there's a rumor that the new console will be region-free.
- The release is scheduled for March, and no price has yet been announced.

Personally, from watching the trailer, I have two main pressing concerns: the power of the portable screen, and the battery. In the teaser trailer, Breath of the Wild showed some pretty significant framerate drops after it was set in the portable mode. Granted, this was a teaser and the actual product still has five months before release, but if these framerate problems are consistent, this will be a significant problem. As for the battery, well, look at it. It's a tiny HDTV you put in your lap, how much battery would that thing burn through? Not to mention the controller parts themselves are detachable and function even when detached, so each piece has a separate battery to charge.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:10 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
yeah battery's the big concern

and library too but the Mario 3D they showed was new and the Mario Kart they showed was new (or at least some kind of enhanced rerelease) and you know I'll buy it for those eventually

they aren't day one games though

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:03 am

the concept is neat I guess

the list of third parties is promising, but only if they actually stick around instead of running away within months like with the Wii U lol

I'm sick of buying Nintendo consoles to buy Nintendo games and nothing else, y'know?

oh and if it's region locked again then they can absolutely f*** off. even microsoft has abandoned that s***.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:22 am

I just realized something: not only is the Switch incompatible with its predecessor, it's incompatible with the entire eShop library. If they can port the virtual console over at the very least, it might not seriously cripple the digital library, but it still won't play the DS games that the Wii U was emulating.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:15 am
Site Moderator

can't be bothered to care about game console hardware at this point as long as it is affordable, uses physical media and i can plug it into both my wall and television, and it has a controller made for people with normal hands. msrp hasn't been revealed yet but the switch seems to check out as a Usable Product(TM) so far. excited to see how they'll ruin it!

mostly hoping the reported fromsoft project ends up being something cool like armored core or a new nintendo-funded IP instead of a lazy b-team dark souls port that will probably run at 2 fps

Rapty wrote:
I just realized something: not only is the Switch incompatible with its predecessor, it's incompatible with the entire eShop library. If they can port the virtual console over at the very least, it might not seriously cripple the digital library, but it still won't play the DS games that the Wii U was emulating.

this is less of a problem with the switch as it is a problem with all software engineering. reality is that until tech corporations suddenly stop sucking, get better judgment (or more engineers start learning executive management), learn to adapt to increasingly convoluting issues of software longevity & cross-generational compatibility, and stop sucking, we're gonna be stuck with a lot of s*** new things with the old good ones need an oil change. an entire generation of your uncle trying to install microsoft excel 2000 on his new chromebook. your children will be better at computering than you

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:36 pm

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
I'm betting for Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon enhanced ports, not actual sequels or follow ups. Tough a Mario Kart 9 and Splatoon 2 (Spla2n) can be a reality.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:27 pm

I'd be honestly surprised if they didn't port Super Smash Bros over.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
Giving Splatoon more attention than Smash would be a crime

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Not really

Splatoon is so much better than smash 4 lmao

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:03 pm

MGN Username: mariofan3ds
Currently Playing: Anything that isn't Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U
Rapty wrote:

They'll probably port all Wii U games to the eShop like Sony did with porting PSP games to the PS Store so you can play it on the Vita.
P.S.: Here's hoping the Switch will have GameCube games for the Virtual Console.

:wario: :goku: :naruto: :lloyd:
Characters I will main in Beta:
:isaac: and :luffy:

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:35 pm

the leader of the bunch wrote:
Not really

Splatoon is so much better than smash 4 lmao

It's not really about which game is better, but which game is the bigger cash cow for Nintendo
All things considered, Splatoon is rather limited in its play value with friends compared to the world's biggest couch multiplayer party brawler

Sure, people can b**** about how they don't wanna buy the same game for a third time, how Nintendo's abandoning all support for the Wii U, how early adopters are getting shafted once again, but if the console launches with Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch, they'll be making hand over fist dollar dollar

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:49 pm

So Ubisoft announced that Just Dance 2017 would be coming to the Switch; based on that, I think we can safely assume the device will have some sort of motion control.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 am

MGN Username: Byllant
Currently Playing: A lot of Nintendo games as if there's no end.
There are rumors Nintendo is working on several ports of Wii U game for the Switch but when they say "work", they mean some sort of testing because that doesn't mean the all the ports will get eventually released and Smash Bros. for Wii U was one of them.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:44 am

Byllant wrote:
There are rumors Nintendo is working on several ports of Wii U game for the Switch but when they say "work", they mean some sort of testing because that doesn't mean the all the ports will get eventually released and Smash Bros. for Wii U was one of them.

Two things come to mind when I think of Smash Bros. for Switch:
- Unless the Switch has a fully fleshed out eShop by the time of release, a port would probably be a definitive edition with all the DLC included.
- Would it still be possible to interact a 3DS with the Switch? Would the 3DS version need a system update to retain the cross-platform features with the Wii U?

Also, we've heard some more rumors about the machine and its details. The miniature screen is slated to run at 720p, and apparently it has multi-touch capability, just like your kiddie's three Apple products that he takes to school. When it's in console mode, touch screen capability is replaced by a WiiMote-like infrared dock located in one of the two Joy-Cons.

On the subject of the Joy-Cons, do you think there will be any mention of the fact that in multiplayer mode, the two controllers will have one pair of shoulder buttons each on opposite sides?

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:42 pm

really not quite sure if this is legit but
https://pvplive.net/c/new-nintendo-switch-features-and-launch-lineup-tea

''The Switch edition of Super Mario is said to be an amalgamation of previous 3D Mario adventures, described as a cross
between Super Mario 64 and Sunshine.''

this in particular sounds pretty promising and exiting to me, the more open world games were the best

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:14 pm
 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next