The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 am

[ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Mess with your brain - For fun or convenience. 

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Post tricks you've learned about messing with your own mind, I'll update the OP with the ones that actually work.
Remember, lots of these are partially the placebo effect, so if you do them and are thinking the entire time "THIS WON'T WORK" then it probably won't.
List of tricks:
Trick #001 -Feel like you've gotten a good night's sleep with only two hours.
Trick #002 -Hallucinate without drugs.
Trick #003 -Become in control of your own dreams.
Trick #004 -Use sleep to study.
Trick #005 -Reduce pain.
Trick #006 -Rubber body parts.
Trick #007 -Long nose trick.
Trick #008 -Purkinje Lights.
Trick #009 -Rotating foot.
Trick #010 -No toilet nearby?
Trick #011 -Get rid of a stitch while running.
Trick #012 -Stop being nervous.
Trick #013 -Extra underwater breath.
Trick #014 -Floating arms.
Trick #015 -Sinking limbs.

All Tricks: show
The average person spends 1/3 of their life asleep. What a waste of time. With this trick, you can spend 1/12 of your life asleep and still feel awake as ever (The answer is not coffee.). This requires a weird sleeping pattern to be enforced by yourself, so you can't do this if you need to go to school or something every day. What you must do is take half hour naps every 4 hours. So here's how you'd start. Set your alarm for 8:30 AM and go to sleep at 8:00 AM. Then, set alarm for 12:30 PM and sleep at 12:00 PM. See what I mean? It takes a while to get used to, but it's worth it for all the time you save.
Trick #002 -Hallucinate without drugs.
Here's an easy one. First, turn your radio to some static, and put the volume at medium-high, then put in your earphones. Now, cut a ping-pong ball in half, and tape each half over your eyes so that you can't see. Lie there for at least 30 minutes, and you'll start to hallucinate.
Trick #003 -Become in control of your own dreams.
Have you ever had a dream where you knew it was a dream, and could control everything that happened? That is called a 'Lucid Dream'. Here's how to make ALL your dreams into Lucid Dreams: Keep a blank book next to your bed. When you wake up, write down every little detail of the dream you just had. Blurriness, colours, perspective, everything. Do this every time you have a dream that you remember. The next thing you need to do is make sure you're thinking about the dream you wrote down when you're trying to get to sleep. You should wake up in the dream you wrote down, but this time it'll be a Lucid Dream. This one is surprisingly effective, worked first time I tried it.
Trick #004 -Use sleep to study.
Have a test in a few days and you know you haven't studied enough? Here's how to use sleep to study. Two days before the test, take out a textbook or something you can use to study and cram as much info in your head as you can right before you hop into bed and go to sleep. Then do the same thing the next night, but just skim-read it instead of trying to pack in info. Then don't study AT ALL on the day of the test. You should pass with flying colours.
Trick #005 -Reduce pain.
Stub your toe? Cut your finger? Does it hurt a hell of a lot? Grab a pair of binoculars, and turn them around so you're looking through the other end. Everything should appear smaller. Now look at the damaged body part for a while in this way, and pain should quickly lessen.
Trick #006 -Rubber body parts.
Take a fake body part (Something like a plastic finger or rubber arm. It has to look at least partly realistic.) and put the real counterpart of that thing under a table so you can't see it. Then place the fake piece on the table in a way that from your point of view, it looks attached to you. Then have a friend come and stroke your real part and the fake one at the same time and in the same way. Do this for a while and you'll get the illusion that it's part of you. Have the friend get a knife and stab the fake piece, it'll make you jump or wince.
Trick #007 -Long nose trick.
Place two chairs, facing the same direction, in a line. (i.e, one chair should be directly behind the other, and facing the back of it.) Have a friend sit in the front chair, and you sit in the back one. Put a blindfold on. Reach around and feel the other person's nose at the same time as feeling your own. Eventually, it'll start to feel like you have a really long nose.)
Trick #008 -Purkinje Lights.
Go stand outside, and close your eyes. Now tilt your head so you're facing the sun. Quickly move your hand back and forth in front of your eyes, and you'll start seeing some trippy stuff. The longer you do it, the weirder the visuals.
Trick #009 -Rotating foot.
Stick your right foot over the side of something so that it's hanging in mid-air. Start to rotate your foot in a CLOCK-WISE direction, at a fairly quick speed. Now draw a six in the air with your right hand. Your foot will either automatically switch direction, or slow down its spinning tremendously.
Trick #010 -No toilet nearby?
Do you need to pee but there's no toilet nearby? Start thinking about sex. It's simple, but it works.
Trick #011 -Get rid of a stitch while running.
The majority of people, while running, inhale when they land on their left foot and exhale on their right foot. Eventually, you'll get a stitch. Many will tell you that more running will solve the problem, but there's a much better way to do it. Switch around that breathing pattern. Inhale on your right and exhale on your left.
Trick #012 -Stop being nervous.
Here's a really simple one. You know how when you get really nervous, you feel like you're sweating when you're not? Your heart starts beating really fast and you feel yourself heat up? Here's how to solve it. When you start to feel like this, just stick your thumb in your mouth and try to exhale really hard. You'll stop feeling nervous very quickly.
Trick #013 -Extra underwater breath.
When you start to feel your body begging you for breath when you're underwater, it's not because of the lack of Oxygen, it's the build-up of Carbon Dioxide. Here's how to get 10-20 seconds of extra underwater breath. Before you go in, take about 20 short, powerful breaths. Very quickly. Then hop in with no breath in your lungs. (i.e jump in after an exhale, not an inhale)
Trick #014 -Floating arms.
Stand in a doorway with your arms completely straight and to your side. Press them against the doorway, and then try to lift them up without bending them (which is of course impossible). Do this for a good minute or two. When you step out of the doorway, relax your arms completely, and they should start floating upwards automatically.
Trick #015 -Sinking limbs.
You'll need a friend for this one. Lie face-down on the floor with your eyes closed, and have a friend hold either both your legs or both your arms up in the air. Then, after a minute or two, have your friend very very slowly lower your limbs down to ground level. It should feel like your limbs are sinking down through the floor.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:19 am

Currently Playing: stuff. loud stuff.
I've been able to ignore pain for a couple of years now, not that hard, at all.
edit: Oh, your way is different. I just concentrate and think over and over
there is no pain (lololol Matrix)
and it goes away, I s*** you not. Of course, it depends just how strong the pain is, but. It's worked well until now.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:58 am

I'll add it.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:07 am

*EDITED*

Last edited by Tid on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:08 am

Currently Playing: The Game
Black Lantern Tid wrote:

It's called powernapping. You need at least 20 minutes.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am

Thaiberium wrote:
Black Lantern Tid wrote:

It's called powernapping. You need at least 20 minutes.

15-30 and sometimes even an hour or so depending on the person

Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:43 am

Oh, also.
It also works when you're really cold and are shaking like hell. You can ignore that as well, same way. Concentrate and think of warmth, works for me at least.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:00 am
Site Moderator

That's called creative visualization, Luna. Ever had a teacher tell you that you can beat the heat by thinking of a really cold place? It requires almost all of your concentration because you have to keep focusing on it.

Jin wrote:
I support the bombing of Israel.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:21 pm

your senses are from your brain anyway so it's all tricking yourself by convincing your brain that something is true

Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
Hmmm... I'm trusting you Tid on number 4. Please don't make me regret it. :(

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

I have a harder time using it to beat the heat. ;_;

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:15 pm

|~DVDV~| wrote:
Hmmm... I'm trusting you Tid on number 4. Please don't make me regret it. :(

I passed what would otherwise have been a failed math exam using that trick.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Luna wrote:

hey, here's one, use a f*** air conditioner and stop being a cheap mexican f***

Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:42 pm

AIR CONDITIONER ON THE STREETS THAT FOLLOWS YOU WHILE WALKING, f*** YEAH.
filthy asian f***

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:00 am

Currently Playing: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
Luna wrote:

This... I gave up on that aspect of CV a long time ago... I can ignore pain to an extent, but that's all.

To beat the heat without that I just wore a jacket every day during the summer (In the San Joaquin Valley). Now the same heat (I'm talkin' 100 - 106 degrees Fahrenheit) without a jacket is like the same thing as 70 or 80 to me. If you don't get heatstroke, it should work.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 am
 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next