The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:24 pm

[ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Yoshi 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Discuss Yoshi specific game-play here.

Mon May 29, 2017 1:41 pm

MGN Username: FluffyRuff
Does yoshi have heavy armor on his double jump like in ssb4?

Practicing: :yoshi:

Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
yea

Wed May 31, 2017 10:53 pm

MGN Username: BluFira
Currently Playing: SSF2
Waifu: Mine's a husbando.
Did Yoshi actually receive a nerf of all things that could happen to him? Some of his moves e.g. U-tilt, F-tilt feels slower than in 0.9b.

Having a bad computer doesn't stop me from wrecking my friends in local multiplayer
Online play is another story tho :P

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Yoshi seems like he got a nerf in everything except airspeed, which is now utterly insane. Not sure that's really a great thing.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:24 pm

Double jump cancel is no longer optional -_-

Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:34 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Thomas Terminator
Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo Master Chief Collection, Super Smash Bros Ultimate
bunq wrote:
Double jump cancel is no longer optional -_-

Gives him more combo capabilities like he did in Smash 64/Melee. Not a bad thing unless you're used to Brawl Yoshi, which was the worst version of Yoshi out of the 4 games. (Smash 4 Yoshi plays significantly different compared to Brawl Yoshi) :yoshi:

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Yoshi seems like he got a nerf in everything except airspeed, which is now utterly insane. Not sure that's really a great thing.

Although air speed does help his ability to survive and get back to the stage, some of the things Yoshi could use to extend his recovery (spamming egg throw, momentum canceling using side b and then jumping, etc) are no longer usable. :/

Hate to say it, but we're back to v0.8b days where Yoshi is low/bottom tier.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:57 pm

I know DJC is good, but in 9b, it wouldn't cancel if you were holding up, so you could up throw double jump up air up air.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:11 pm

This is just my opinion as a SSB4 :yoshi: main.

His side b AKA egg roll: No one should be able to GRAB him out of his egg roll imo.

getting out of side b also gives ppl enough time to take advantage of.

Being able to hop/bounce with side b like in ssb4 could also b helpful.

Momentum cancel? idk tbh since they are able to grab or smash attack you out of it.

This imo would make his side b more useful and reliable, again for being not able to get grabbed while in it and can bounce around, and could maybe make it should you can quickly get out of the side b to neutral b.

It would also be cool/good if it takes 2 hits instead of 1 to hit :yoshi: out of it like Ryu's focus attack, but people might start to complain that's too OP.

I do see that it can combo ppl 4 hits or more so that's cool (at low percent).

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:18 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
You propably should look up what Momentum Cancel actually is and when to use it if youre complaining about people interrupting your attempt with a smash attack (not counting :blackmage: here, but thats incredibly telegraphed and slow, so still no issue)

I dont really see how DJC going from optional to forced can be considered a buff in any way. You completely lose the option to do a rising aerial, and gain virtually nothing in exchange. I mean Im far from a Yoshi expert, but that doesnt make much sense to me. Care to explain?

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm

I'm not a :yoshi: expert either on ssb4 but I just know him really well with his struggles in there.

To be honest Idk what DJC means (just looked it up and got an answer that i'm pretty sure isn't what you meant).

My idea was basically where if :yoshi: is in his egg roll, he can't be grabbed out of his egg roll, and if he jumps in the egg roll it could be useful for if they are on the platform above you, it would hit them and can follow up with an aerial like you said he could do.

Or they could change it into a charge hit where if you charge it, it would work like ssb4 egg roll but after you get out of the egg you can follow up with an aerial like the current egg roll. Then non-charged egg roll would work the same way it does now. Too OP? Not good enough?

But I guess because his shield is an egg I guess it makes sense to grab him out of it (I still personally don't like the idea of being grabbed out of a rolling attacking egg though, that's just me).

Another funny thing is, I didn't know when he leaves his egg he can up air right after till you just said it and I tried it lol. Haven't tried it before cause I didn't really care to use him so much in this game like I do in ssb4 (cause I like :metaknight: and :luigi: a lot more here) where in that he can't do an aerial as soon as he leaves his egg like in this game.

I don't really expect this change to happen (I don't think it will at all).

I probably misunderstood your reply but I just trying to explain why I would like to see this as a change (again imo).

Last edited by darkrinorex on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:04 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: League of Legends, Halo Master Chief Collection, Super Smash Bros Ultimate
TSF|Skylar wrote:
I dont really see how DJC going from optional to forced can be considered a buff in any way. You completely lose the option to do a rising aerial, and gain virtually nothing in exchange. I mean Im far from a Yoshi expert, but that doesnt make much sense to me. Care to explain?

The only combo worth mentioning that used rising aerials was up throw > rising up air > rising up air. Rest of Yoshi's shenanigans utilized DJC aerials and tilts. Besides if you're someone that used DJC (like myself) in v0.9b, rising aerials pretty much screwed with your combos if you hold down the key (or pressed a button on your controller) just a tiny bit longer than you needed to.

In my eyes, it's a buff. Yes, you lose your rising aerial combo. But...in exchange DJC combos are easier to do and less room for error.

bunq wrote:
I know DJC is good, but in 9b, it wouldn't cancel if you were holding up, so you could up throw double jump up air up air.

I'm aware of the combo. But even if they kept DJC optional in Beta, that combo wouldn't work anymore since they changed the angle that you send your opponent, therefore the opponent can DI away from you much easier than in v0.9b.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 pm
BR Member

I mean, DJC's weren't really technically challenging on the level of "we don't expect competitive players to do this without errors", so I don't understand how straight losing options is a buff. Yoshi really needed those combos too: a really common combo was something like ftilt -> rising uair -> falling fair -> stuff, which allowed Yoshi to do pillars. He could also use it for offstage edgeguarding (either a wall with nair or fair) that didn't make him die. Even stuff like rising bair had combo potential, potential in the neutral game (it was really safe), and now all that's gone.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm
BR Member

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
I mean, DJC's weren't really technically challenging on the level of "we don't expect competitive players to do this without errors", so I don't understand how straight losing options is a buff. Yoshi really needed those combos too: a really common combo was something like ftilt -> rising uair -> falling fair -> stuff, which allowed Yoshi to do pillars. He could also use it for offstage edgeguarding (either a wall with nair or fair) that didn't make him die. Even stuff like rising bair had combo potential, potential in the neutral game (it was really safe), and now all that's gone.

Read this quote again real quick:
TerminatorTrain wrote:
Yes, you lose your rising aerial combos. But...in exchange DJC combos are easier to do and less room for error.

Whether they (DJCs) were easy or not to do in the first place is irrelevant. What's relevant is that The play style that utilized Yoshi's rising aerials and stuff is gone. But because of those changes, the small margin of error for the metagame utilizing Yoshi's djc combos is now gone and made them a tiny bit easier to do them consistently.

Overall? Yeah, it was a nerf to the character's combo game, especially to those who utilized Yoshi's rising aerial combo game. Means that only one play style to rule them all. But for those that didn't use rising aerials and stuff like that, the loss of that ability doesn't apply.

Also, "really common combo"? Last time I checked you could count the Yoshi player representation count on a single hand since there's hardly any Yoshi mains. Yoshi is far from popular both in online play for sure.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:48 am
BR Member

If you weren't using rising aerials, you weren't optimizing Yoshi, even as much as he was optimized with zero representation. It's not a playstyle thing, because there were situations in which it was the best option. It's not player preference, sometimes the best punish had rising aerials.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 am
 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next