The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Get On My Level. 
BR Member

Name (aka Handle):
FedoraTheExplorer, FedEx, goml, some misc alts somewhere. Some people call me daddy.

yes the title is actually my name.

How old are you?:

Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters?:
Kirby. He's fun and people get salty whenever he does ANYTHING right.
I also mess with some other characters every now and then, but Kirby is the only one I feel competant enough with the call a main.

How much experience do you have with official Smash titles?
I have some experience with smash 4, and more in melee and project m. I used to main 64 before i found out ssf2 has online play. Been playing these games since I was like 7 or something.

Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place? I don't really go to tournaments much. I'm small scale competitive, and I have more of an interest in helping others to get better. I want people to kick my a**.
[also i didnt get out of pools in my first and only pm tournament back in 2.6]

When did you start playing SSF2?
0.2. Long time ago in the old forums I was there, but mainly just lurked because it was at that time I became aware of how annoying kids like me were. I've gone passed the point of caring.

What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
Jungle Hijinx. The slope helps my weave game, and the size of the stage means it don't take much for me to set up an edge guard. Boy do I love to edgeguard. Also people forget to strike it in ladders, it makes life easy.

Tiers?
Tiers exist, but I can't put anyone specifically on the top or bottom. I generally agree with the slackroom tier list as far as the tier ranking is conerned, but as far as specific order I don't have the capability to really give a definate answer.

If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
Fix priority. Gotta work hard to ignore my hitbox, son.

What is your view on items in competitive play?
I don't think doping has a place in competitive gaming.

Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
Yea.

Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible. If there's anything I enjoy more than sex, its argueing debating. I got some strong opinions, but at the same time changing my mind is not out of the question. I want to play a part in improving ssf2's community, and b**** is my outlet.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
I actually don't wear fedoras.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:54 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
1) What do you feel is Kirby's most optimal playstyle?

2) Using the stagelist below, what is Kirby's worst stage?
Stagelist: show
Neutral:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokémon Stadium 3
Yoshi's Story

Counterpick:
Dream Land 64
Tower of Salvation
Sky Sanctuary Zone
Castle Siege/Jungle Hijinx
Mirror Chamber
WarioWare Inc.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:24 am
BR Member

1) What do you feel is Kirby's most optimal playstyle?

Not trying to write out a super well thought out essay, but heres some general gist as far as my thoughts on the character.

In general, get the lead, which will force approach, and punish. Edgeguard at every opportunity. Know your ledge camping game.
It's a simple gameplan, and that's what Kirby has to work with.

On paper.

Being optimal implies that you keep yourself safe and play accordingly. Thing is, if we all did that, Kirby wouldn't get any results.

In order to secure your wins for real, Kirby has to pull off tricks that I wouldn't by any stretch call optimal. You can't simply play a flowchart game with this character, you're going to have to take risks. Big risks. If you don't know how to be confusing, you will lose against anyone worth their salt.

Kirby is a walking paradox of a character. By all means his toolset when used conventially is lackluster in many respects, and on paper he's really bad. My slogan is "Everything I do is unviable." Instinct plays a part in being good with this character. You have to get into someone's head by doing things you really shouldn't be doing. I use risky attacks in neutral, including inhale approach, on stage Up Bs, run up hammer. All of these things has huge risks involved, and on paper really don't seem like the best options. But they work.

Not every inhale offstage is meant to land a suicide kill, and sometime not even hit you. Many times im looking more to throw off your momentum and gameplan. Being weird is going to make your opponent second guess you, and second guess themselves. If you can keep that going, then you win.

The optimal stuff has its purpose as a fallback, but in the grand scheme of things if your opponent can find your pattern, he can exploit it. When it comes down to it, being "optimal" means following patterns, and that's just not how I do things. You don't really establish any sort of meaningful success if you dont think outside the box.

2) Using the stagelist below, what is Kirby's worst stage?

This one's a bit of a crossup.

Sky Sanctuary and Mirror Chamber are really bad for Kirby.

Poor overall neutral, mediocre ground game, problems with platform pressure. Both of these stage brutalize these weaknesses.
Those low, long platforms on SSZ means that Kirby is going to be at a consistant disadvantage for the majority of the game. The stage layout makes him easier to approach, and harder for him to approach himself by a good margin. The same goes for Mirror Chamber, as the low middle platform means anyone with better hitboxes than Kirby [90% of the cast] is going to stuff most of what he can accomplish center stage. SSZ screws up Kirby's neutral more than Mirror Chamber by a good margin, but what makes the two about the same is this little tidbit:

Kirby has a weird place in that he excels arguably more than anyone at the edge. Its high risk, but he has more options there than just about anyone. There's not much of an edge for Mirror Chamber. The risk shoots through the roof on account of the brutally short blast zones, and it also severely hampers his primary advantage in edgeguarding. You can't go deep in the kiddie pool. Furthermore, Kirby's recovery is only good when you abuse all the empty space on the side of the stage, but there isn't any.

Basically, these two stages murder his options.

Warioware is pretty bad too for similar reasons as the above, but it's the lesser of 3 evils. Kirby isnt a fan of the BR stagelist :p

Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:25 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Thanks for applying.

You have been accepted into the BR

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:02 pm
BR Member

swag

Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:05 pm
 [ 5 posts ]