The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 am

[ 6 posts ] 
Speculation of Horror: Will there be a Survival Horror Rep? 

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
This is going to be a question I'll prominently be asking everyone due to the simple fact that in no Smash-related game, official, fan-made or alike, there's always a key distinguishing genre that is seemed to be left out of it all. There's always no hope of seeing it, but it could seem to change this time around. That is right, I'm talking about Survival Horror. Now before we go further, I'll acknowledge the "Nintendo" rule and as such, I will not be speculating Isaac Clarke, Gordon Freeman, James Sunderland (despite my love for his character) and many other Survival Horror video game characters within the genre. So no, no Outlast.

But what I'm going to ask to start the speculation is, will there be a Survival Horror representative, and if so, who?

Now to be honest, while I think it'd complete the diversity that is Super Smash Flash 2, I think it is only likely that we might get a survival horror representative, but borderline unlikely at that. Now while the thought of implementing a survival horror character might seem hard, it isn't if you pull from their sources, and secondly, if all of these characters for Super Smash Flash 2 could have custom-made sprites for them, so can a survival horror character. But now who would be the possible characters to represent Survival Horror?

Well, I think the answer might as well be Leon S. Kennedy or Chris Redfield, since when you mention survival horror, almost always will those two be put into your head. And heck, these two have actually been in more Nintendo-related survival horror games than any other character from that genre. While we do have Fatal Frame and a Silent Hill game on Nintendo's consoles, let's not forget that Resident Evil has been the most prominent one of the bunch, spanning every console line from N64 all the way to Wii U. Resident Evil 0-4, Resident Evil Remake, The Darkside Chronicles, The Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil Gaiden and even Resident Evil: Revelations, there are so many Resident Evil games in there that you really can't speculate much more than those two, right?

Well, there are other characters, such as Fatal Frame: Maiden of Blackwater's Yuri Kozukata, Silent Hill's own Harry Mason and Pyramid Head, Eternal Darkness's Alexandra Roivas, and even the Slender Man can make it into this game. But the thing is about speculating about survival horror is that all of it is very limited in the long run since very little survival horror is within Nintendo consoles, which again, is the reason why we can't speculate characters like Isaac Clarke and Gordon Freeman, because they've never appeared on a Nintendo console to date. And yes, the line-up is very limited for many survival horror series. Trust me, if there's a library, it'll mostly be comprised of independent horror games or Resident Evil.

But you know, now that you've heard my thoughts first and foremost, I really want to hear everyone else's thoughts. Will there be a Survival Horror representative? Who would it be? Why is the Super Smash Flash 2 roster so malleable? And what's your reason behind the character? Here's to a good discussion.

(Though I sincerely hope it'll be Leon who gets in.)

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:39 am
BR Member

Sub-Zero

survival horror is a little to edgy for smash

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:12 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
I don't think this needed its own thread. BluePikmin gets a pass because the amount of characters he was discussing at length was dominating the main thread's discussion.

Anyway, to get on topic, like I already said in the character speculation thread, it's definitely not impossible. Any potential arguments against Leon as a character (game too dark, can't use real guns, too realistic, etc.) are rendered null by Snake and/or Bayonetta, so the only thing I'd see keeping him out is lack of demand.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 am

MGN Username: blackking1700
I'd say Alexandria Roivas(since she's an actual Nentindo character) and Leon have the best chances to represent the genre. I'm pretty sure Eternal Darkness us regarded as one of the best Psychological Horror video games ever.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:53 pm

no, a survival horror rep contrasts a lot with nintendo

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:46 pm

MGN Username: Vega
Currently Playing: The Beta
Harr Turnpike wrote:
I don't think this needed its own thread. BluePikmin gets a pass because the amount of characters he was discussing at length was dominating the main thread's discussion.

Anyway, to get on topic, like I already said in the character speculation thread, it's definitely not impossible. Any potential arguments against Leon as a character (game too dark, can't use real guns, too realistic, etc.) are rendered null by Snake and/or Bayonetta, so the only thing I'd see keeping him out is lack of demand.

Well, that's a good point on the first one, but the reason I made this thread separate was because he never explicitly put a survival horror character in the speculation roster. That and, well, Survival Horror and horror in general is a genre that's just blatantly ignored, so I had to put it in its own topic to at least give it some light.

And yes, the only thing really keeping Leon out is possibly lack of demand. Leon, however, fits the bill perfectly; a character that's appeared prominently on Nintendo consoles (even the 3DS and GBA), a character who's very popular and likeable, and a character who's moveset can be drawn from the original series they hail from. All that he needs now is demand.

Also, I stated in the OP that Leon has a lack of sprites (that all survival horror characters had a lack of them), but I completely forgot Project X Zone 2. Whoops.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:37 pm
 [ 6 posts ]