The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm

[ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 49  Next
Style Progress ft. Commissions Open! 

Waifu: your dad
GBomber465 wrote:
Very good! :D But... it's just me or "your favorite costume" Ness is missing his feet? Well, if it is then it's something pretty easy to fix.

they're there, they're just very bright so you can't see them all too well because of the forum's theme colour

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: GBomber465
Currently Playing: SSF2, Project M and Phoenix Wright
LyokoBlight wrote:
GBomber465 wrote:
Very good! :D But... it's just me or "your favorite costume" Ness is missing his feet? Well, if it is then it's something pretty easy to fix.

they're there, they're just very bright so you can't see them all too well because of the forum's theme colour

Oh, right!

Check out my sprite gallery: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41157

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
god dammit i love you

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:54 pm

GBomber465 wrote:
LyokoBlight wrote:
GBomber465 wrote:

Oh, right!

Yeah, I really should know by now that white and gray don't translate well onto this background.

Otherwise I'm bringing sexy back. I feel like this is canon Palutena personality for some reason as well.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:45 am

is her hair over her left shoulder or something? it looks odd to me that its not flowing down her back

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 am

LyokoBlight wrote:
is her hair over her left shoulder or something? it looks odd to me that its not flowing down her back

That was the intention. All of her hair is pulled over her should so as not to cover any of the musculature or anything.

She's got a LOT of hair, so otherwise it'd just be a green blob covering everything.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:49 am

ah i see, i understand why you did that then

it just looks a little odd to me, cant point out what specifically, but i feel like it could look more natural (probably a bad word to use but the only one that came to mind)

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:55 am

MGN Username: God-sama
Currently Playing: Minecraft, SMBX , Kirby Dreamland thingy.
Reix wrote:
GBomber465 wrote:
LyokoBlight wrote:
GBomber465 wrote:

Oh, right!

Yeah, I really should know by now that white and gray don't translate well onto this background.

Otherwise I'm bringing sexy back. I feel like this is canon Palutena personality for some reason as well.

Wow, that's hot.

Thanks man!

Edit: also perhaps make some strands of her hair flow onto her back and then through her armpit.

Lukepi wrote:
read my post in your thread after i locked it.

i'm done. if you send me another PM with a sarcastic s#%$& attitude i'm banning you for 3 days.

go ahead and test me. see what happens.

;)

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:59 am

Hair is hard :p

I couldn't make it so a few strands came down without just looking weird, so here's slightly sweeped hair.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:22 am

i think the main problem with the original sprite was that the hair looked odd because of the lack of shading that distinguishes what part of her was in front

i've always been bad at explaining things but i think around where her hair goes over her shoulder should be a lot darker to indicate that the hair is behind her body

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:24 am

MGN Username: TheRealHeroOfWinds
Tsu wrote:
Edit: also perhaps make some strands of her hair flow onto her back and then through her armpit.

Your fetishes are showing Tsu

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:51 pm
Reix wrote:
[ Image ]

I couldn't make it so a few strands came down without just looking weird, so here's slightly sweeped hair.

IMO it could be improved if you used shading, as it'd make it more "realistic"? Probably not the right word

TheRealHeroOfWinds wrote:
Tsu wrote:

post of the year

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:02 pm

clubby wrote:
Reix wrote:
[ Image ]

IMO it could be improved if you used shading, as it'd make it more "realistic"? Probably not the right word

Image That's probably going to be the peak of my realistic sprite shading, but I made the hair in front of her darker.

Tsu wrote:

You didn't get that from the start?

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:38 am

MGN Username: TheRealHeroOfWinds
Reix wrote:
Tsu wrote:

You didn't get that from the start?

The thing is we got a peak at his armpit fetish, weirdo.

Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:42 am

LET'S CHAT.
As some of you may know, I've been working on these sets of sprites sporadically for a while, so I thought it might be a good idea to go over the process of both the actual sprites and the design choices, plus occasionally drifting off into world building and concepts.

The main idea was common RPG Classes and there logical progression/personality.

Mage: show
1.Image1.5 + 2.ImageOld 2.Image3.Image4.Image5.Image6.Image7.Image

Based heavily on *surprise,* the White Mage, or otherwise the Healer or Cleric.
For the future, 1. is the "Standard" day to day outfit(s) the character is usually seen wearing. For Marion, this is her main outfit (Right) and what she wears beneath it (Left). I've had the basic idea since at least March of last year, and it's based around her magic ability and the world she lives in. Due to magic being associated with tattoos and body art, mages tend to wear clothes intended to showcase them to mark them as powerful individuals. Both of these outfits are backless, and the right has the sleeves cut off on one side, showing off her forearms. They are also, like most mage clothes, heavily embroidered, as excess detail is both a sign of wealth and excess material to be enchanted.
1.5 + 2. is weird because the design came way later, and acts as a few things. The first two are an alternate normal outfit, first lacking the undershirt. They're just another set of clothes she wears. The second two are the first "Class Change," where the clothes are enchanted to increase a certain discipline, this one being straight up White Mage. I went over these a few pages back, but they're just cute clothes a girl like Marion would wear, and the coat/long pointy hat are meant to invoke a witch, along with the original FF White Mage. As a White Mage, she uses either a big staff or wands/eskrima sticks to fight.
Old 2. is just an old design that I didn't like all that much and clearly replaced. It's a shawl and skirt over black everything and didn't turn out that well.
3. is the Paladin, or just a holy warrior. Basically heals and damage. Her hair is tied back to prevent distraction, and she's covered in decent armor. I wanted her to have a sort of 'heavy' pose, which was originally based on a frame from a really old Link sheet that I remembered. Bit of a valkyrie motif with the warrior girl and a winged tiara looking thing.
4. is the Invoker, who is justified power of friendship. Honestly not a huge fan of this design, so I'll probably go back to it. It's supposed to be friendly and welcoming, as it utilizes her ties with other people, but this just eh... I have an idea in mind, so I'll rework this. Fun fact, this pose was based on Jotaro's famous point from JJBA, but pointing forward and depth is hard to convey.
5 is the Sexy Secretary Tome Reader. Heavily associated with reading, lore and application, this had to reflect studiousness. The glasses are the main part, even enchanted to make her more focused. I believe the search query was "Girl reading book."
6. Is the Barrier Mage. This was a fun one to make, because barriers would imply armor, but using them as she would would involve mobility, which is why the armor is really light looking. The pose was also an undertaking from Mr. Slight Slouch for Everything, but I thing it turned out well.
7. is full power, no limits and no restrictions. I probably made this a bit too simple looking in retrospect, so I might refine it later.

Warrior: show
1.Image2.Image3.Image4.Image5.Image6.Image7.Image
Based on the Red Mage and the Warrior archetype. This was also where I got the idea to have a second set of sprites that visualize the kind of magic associated with the character and class.

1. Standard gear, and nothing that fancy for Marshall. You might notice the white circle/square (Pixels...) that's on every subsequent outfit. That's a character trait and I felt like putting in everything as a unifier and a marker. Only other thing of note is the gold rope decorations. Those have minor enchantments, but are mostly for show.
2. Red Mage outfit. I thing of this as his default fighting game pose for some reason, but looking back the hat and shawl might be a bit too close to the actual Red Mage... Hat might become more generic and boxy, but I like the shawl too much. I also think he's going to be more of a Force Mage than a true Red Mage, with most of the spells being increased X for fighting instead of elements and stuff.
3. The true blue... red Knight. Armor is totally non standard, but shut up magic it's fine. The side cape is what really does it for me. I think the pose is based slightly on the one of The Phantoms from Phantom Hourglass, but human sized.
4. Vergilllllll. Design wise is pretty standard Samurai with some added flair, but I feel the true purpose of this was to A, make Katanamancy jokes a thing and B, make him Devil May Cry as hell.
5. One of my favorite designs, the Berserker. His hair becomes wilder, his steps become stronger, and of course, his fists start breaking things. One of the elements I included was Sarashi, Japanese bindings typically associated with Samurai as a minor form of armor and in modern times to show that you're strong. His are as hard as metal, and wrapped around his arms and stomach. He also has chains around his upper arms to show that even while he's bound, he's powerful enough, and of course those chains are breaking at some point. Pose is based somewhat off of Asura's from Asura's Wrath, who is also a raging berserker.
6. is where I went crazy with ropes and loose armor. Because it's a Cavalier and likely on a horse, I wanted the armor to be be 'free' and bounce freely for dramatic effect. It's protective, but loose and free like a horse. Spears are often associated with cavalry, so naturally it's there, and binding magic seems like it's a cross between magic cowboy lassos and dramatic Indiana Jones jump offs.
7. I think this a good in between on simple and complicated designs for a full power form. I dunno why, but I think of a coal powered train when I look at it and I don't know why. Scarves, longcoats, and a cool hat make for a good super form. Also really like the red rope decorations on the shirt. Hat and coat are somewhat based on Alucard's outfit from Hellsing.

Thief: show

1. Holy Calach Parker is just Black Mage with a face. His jacket used to be blue, but Jaunt's already got the blue color scheme going and this honestly looks better for it. The tan lining the jacket neck is evocative of the pointy hat, and the pants are only lacking stripes. I also debated giving him a variety of masks, one of which was pure black with his amber eyes. I think jacket and pants are generic enough, though. Second outfit is baseless and I kind of think it shows a bit. The sprite itself was based on a sprite I made of this character years back. I really like the idea of basically just redoing a good but old concept like this:
2. This is just more Black Mage, albeit more recent incarnations. I intend him to use the staff... like a staff, so I might make a secondary 'lighter' version that's more mobile.
3. Assassin garb. Kinda plain, but it's intentionally designed not to draw attention. Not a whole lot to say on that.
4. A Gambler feels like it could made SUPER interesting if actually explored as a magic system and as a fighter. I wanted him to look and feel c***, proud, and fancy enough to walk in anywhere. That's the thought process behind the jacket, jewelry, and hat (Naturally with a card in it). The pose is also a kind of common lean and coin flip that's an arrogant look that fits in with the idea.
5. THIS IS MY FAVORITE. He's a Scout, but instead relies on his other senses to do things, rather than look around. Design wise, it's super simple, but I love how it's easily readable and fits in with character, personality and power. The sprite itself also turned out super well in my opinion, and the magic effect makes it even better. I thought at one point to add a blindfold, but I think it's perfect how it is. Pose is a common Jeet Kune Do stance, otherwise known as Bruce Lee's Stance.
6. Shadow: simple and effective. Could probably add a bit more to this, but I don't think I can go much further into Shadow sorcerer without going Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain. It's hard to get those shadows looking right...
7. Another simple but good design IMO. Again, jackets and scarves saving the day as well.

Ranger: show

1. I had SOOOOOO much trouble getting Eliza's colors the way I wanted them... After finding a decent palette, I remade the two original outfits on the OP, as Standard 1 and Golemancer (#.3). She's an Elemental Mage and otherwise a nature lover, so she's really in tune with nature, which is why she almost never wears shoes and why her standard outfits are shorts and a short sleeve/sleeveless shirt. She likes 'feeling' nature, straight and true.
2. Elementalist. I want these to be textured more like skins, but that's not conducive to this style/my ability, but she's wearing pelts and belts and that's about it. It gives her a more animalistic feel, further turning her towards nature. She also has a variety of rings that correspond with the elements, Fire and Water in her hands, Earth and Wind on her legs, and Lightning used as a nose ring.
3. Golem crafting (at least in this world) involves making, baking, and breathing life into clay, done with a kiln as one does pots. Because of the heat generation and enchanting possibilities, she wears arm length gloves as protection along with a heavy apron and occasionally a welding mask. The Golem itself, Emmet, and Eliza herself for that matter, are based heavily on the Golem of Prague, a Jewish tale about a Rabbi crafting a golem. The golem is depicted as a brown humanoid with a large metal brace in it's chest and cuffs on it's legs. Functionally, when not being used as a human figure, the clay is kept in a backpack and used as spare arms, somewhat based off of Thrilling Intent's Golem Arc. Minor detail, but she wears the nose ring for this class as well.
4. Once again due to familiarity with elements and chemicals, Eliza is a master Chemist. In addition to standard medicines and junk, the addition of magic allows for potions of varying ability. Design wise, it's back to studious and a kind of scientist look, well at least if they wore all brown Pose turned out pretty great and I had a lot of fun with the vial cabinet and the golem cushion.
5. Beastmaster. A paltry attempt at an action pose... Anyway, here she again has fur lined clothes, this time to make her look strictly beastly, in addition to hair ornaments that resemble either ears or horns. In this form, her golems take on various animal shapes, with the snake being an easily sprited example.
6. Yharnam's best, the Hunter. Again, fur, but again, as a lining rather than universal. She's got a sort of hunting jacket with a fur neck lining. Fingerless gloves help with knocking various arrows and bolts, which are kept in place by two small quivers held on her legs by two golems. Another unique pose that was surprisingly hard to find a decent example for. I think it turned out pretty well, though.
7. Natural progression, the Artificier. Just the evolved form of the Golemancer, gloves, apron, mask and all. Accompanying golems would vary based on situation and need.

Bard: show

1. Had a hard time with his standard outfits. I couldn't get fancy to mix with easygoing party man, but I like where I settled. In a familiar shrugging pose, an outfit based on probably boy bands as a good example. The cloth between the pants is based on Iori's pants from King of Fighters because they are sick and would make a nice eye catcher for a dancer. Second outfit is really clear and clean, plus would be really comfy to move around it a lot.
2. Support Mage. If the pose, hat, and glove didn't give it away, it's Michael Jackson. Aside from that, it's a complementing shirt, belt and pants in addition to the fall suspenders which is a thing I've used five times but it really only makes sense here. I really like how the pose and the music effect turned out.
3. I keep pronouncing Capoeira Capoeira the same way as Shakira Shakira, so it must be a Dancer. I tried for a lot of unique poses with Avon, and this is a pretty good one IMO. It's in the middle of a capoeira move, with a 'force' of magic 'swirling' along with his body, following it's movement lines for power. The outfit is a standard capoeira outfit, which is really loose baggy pants with the long cord belt attached, plus a sleeveless black shirt. One thing I added was the long flowing ribbon on his arm, which I really am attached to for some reason, but I feel like I might move it to another outfit so as not to clutter with the belt.
4. Instrumentalist. Pose is a basic power of rocky guitar pose, but screw that the effect looks GORGEOUS. I love that I figured out how to make that look as good as it did, and I even came up with a really cool super move effect for it. Aside from the sound byte, the various circles filled with wavelengths are based on this video, which does a REALLY good job of visualizing sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3CYZZg ... 16&list=WL In a weird turn of fate, this is the absolute simplest design out of all of them, being a black quartersleeve, gray pants, and a guitar sash. The only unique piece is a small yellowing backing that drapes to around his knees.
5. Enchanter. Pied Pipery enough for me. Just a simple vest ensemble that specifically has no shoes for no particular reason. I wish I coulda made that stump better... A bit hard to sprite, but that was the pose that stuck in my head and that's what I wanted to do.
6. The HEAVY METALLURGIST. YEAH. METAL. Aside from a sick name, a sick pose and good design. It's a bit obscured by the positioning, but I feel like the idea of a guy making swords by playing the bongos is awesome. I do wish the sparks in the second image translated better, though.
7. Simplistic again, but Minstrel. Basically a recoloring of the Dancer, it's another set of capoeira gear, which I've taken a huge liking towards. This time it's a bit fancier though, and has a few do dads to make it more interesting. And yes, that is totally the Wind Waker Pose.

Demon: show

1. Arin has three standard cuz I had a sprite of her 1st outfit without the shawl and it still looked nice. She's probably got the simplest main design, but I feel like it works pretty well, and the second outfit adds a bit of complexity with the mismatched skirt/dress. 1st Outfit is sort of derived from Markus Velafi of Thrilling Intent. Yes, that's the second time I've mentioned it. It's really good. 2nd is the same without the shawl, and 3rd was created from the mismatched skirt up. Oh, and she has horns. They aren't clips or anything.
2. Arcane is usually associated with purple and black... This wasn't that hard to make. Arin definitely is a fan of excessive and large gems, though. Even moreso that one would think considering they're magic batteries.
3. The Master. I needed her to look pretty imposing for this one, which is why she has a shawl in addition to a drapery on her belt. She commands the respect of Imps and other minor demons, which is what the red guys are. There's Standard (The pudgy short ones), Walkers (The Slenderman looking one), Runners (Gorilla arms), Hoppers (Hard to see, but bunny like with a long tail), and Fliers (Take a guess). They're all branded with a Sigil that allows Arin to summon them as partners and allows them to flee instantly if they're about to be harmed. The one with the scarf's name in Lincoln. He's her favorite. : D
4. The Demins. I feel like this is way better than the pose is supposed to let it be. Her hair becomes paler as she give into her demon nature, and her arms and legs become red and vaguely scaly, complete with claws. Her outfit is really simple in order to show the contrast between her normal body and her demon parts, plus gives a better view of her full tattoos. Her horns also elongate into more demon like ram horns from nubs. One of my favorite details is that her tattoos darken around her eyes and eyelids, making her look like more of a demon when she closes her eyes. Oh, she also has a tail.
5. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Around. I tried looking up Necromancers and they were either all robes or hot girls wearing next to nothing. Decided on a sort of funeral look with the addition of jewelry and gold surrounding it. Her hair turns lighter here as well, but more for fitting in with the dead. The suit of armor is a friendly knight spirit that inhabits armor when called upon. In keeping with the death and spirits theme, he's a skull knight that's meant to A, match with Arin's scheme/theme, and B, give off a spectral vibe with the dark torso and legs and light colored arms and faceplate. I wanted him to be more than just a boring old knight, which is why he's colored like that, and why he's sort of lithe as opposed to a heavier armor with larger shoulders and a huge barrel chest. She can also summon other spirits and armor, but she favors this guy.
6. The Circle Mage. I see a lot of fun stuff to play with with this concept, and a lot of it is coated onto her design. She's absolutely covered with rings and circlets and bracelets, noticeable on her necklace, the two on either side of her belt, her upper arms, and the bracelets on her legs and arms that have one more ring hanging from them. As you can see from her Magic Showcase, she's supposed to be constantly mobile and moving, which is why she has the long scarf and ponytail; both can easily flow into motions and be used to accent her flitting around everywhere.
7. Interloper is a cool name for a cool final form. I wanted to focus on her now fully demon arms and legs, explaining the shorter sleeves and parts, and the low neckline, showing that her torso is demonic as well, even though she's in complete control. This class also has the darker eyelines, furthering the descent look, which is highlighted even further by the now perfectly white hair. If she went any further, she'd probably go Kneesocks from Panty and Stocking on us. Otherwise, her clothes are a bit simplistic, but I feel like any more would distract from the important bits. Also of note is that Lincoln is back and he's brought a friend. Not gonna front, while I do like what I've done with the portal, I wanted a large, beefy red demon arm coming out of the portal, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to shade it, which is why we got a shadow claw. This idea would also be used for the Circle Mage, but to a much lesser scale.

TLDR; I talk a lot and there's 42+ different sprites with more as minor modifications. If you want to look at my design process, it's scattered all around. If you don't, look at the pretty pictures and tell me how to make them better/more inspired.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 am
 [ 733 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 49  Next