The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
SELUNA: Shadow of a Doubt [working title] 

MGN Username: Detta
Waifu: Zinnia
YouTube Video:

ported pause menu over from poltergadget (with a different font), will probably start messing with textboxes around objects in other rooms as well.
shadow also gets more transparent the further he is from the light souce. it'll also eventually be linked to the strength of the light once i've actually added some variables for that.

also changed the game resolution from 350x250 to 384x216, which is a true 16:9 aspect ratio (scales up to 1080p perfectly) so if i ever got it onto wiiu/switch it would look half decent.

i graduated from college last week (double major in compsci and japanese) so i'm gonna have way more time to work on my games in the coming months. expect somewhat more frequent updates.

edit:

YouTube Video:

added little floating textboxes above objects you can interact with, some will have menus (like the lamp will have options to pick up or turn on, rather than being separate buttons)
most rooms will not have so many objects to interact with in such a cluttered space, so the textboxes won't seem so intrusive.

Mon May 15, 2017 1:30 am

YouTube Video:

added an enemy and hitboxes
luna also has a new standing pose, will eventually have a walking animation for use inside buildings and the old standing pose will be used while she's in combat levels

Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 am

kind of a boring update BUT

YouTube Video:

In the process of redoing the entire shadow generation process; originally the game would do some fairly basic trig and then end up with... a line. The thing about that is that the line was locked to the level of the ground objects, couldn't really be bent/cut off, etc. And I hadn't even begun to think about how it could be done on ceilings and walls... without completely redoing how the shadow was made.

So after a few days' work, the new system is kind of presentable. For the most common case (light shining from above, no slope/walls) it works pretty much identically, but the other cases still need to be worked out (though I have notable progress on light shining from below, e.g. the shadow casts onto a ceiling).
The shadow is now represented by a series of individual pixel objects, who roughly tag along with each other to figure out their positions. These are created and destroyed as the shadow gets longer and shorter, and there are additionally two separate objects for the starting and ending pixels of the shadow (these are the green and red pixels on either end of the shadow). The starting pixel stores variables such as the shadow's length and offset, while the ending pixel is used to determine the position of the Active Shadow.

There is also a line which is locked to the center of the light source and aims through Luna's head, which checks for collisions with the pixels and cuts the shadow short when the pixels are raised along slopes. This part isn't completely done yet; I'm still running into issues where the pixels make it through for one frame before being cut off. The shadow still ends up the right length after a bit, but it should cut the end off before the shadow is drawn.
Ideally I will also use this line to shift the shadow pixels over when the shadow passes over something like a cliff, since the pixels are currently locked horizontally.

Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 am

YouTube Video:

forgot to upload a preview when i finished this. lamp has a menu when interacting; it closes when you walk away.

ignore the fact that the shadow is glitching out in this video; i haven't done some of its cases yet, like having no light source and with the lamp light specifically

YouTube Video:

the shadow works as intended with most slopes (still doesn't work 100% on 45 degree slopes, but i think i can just avoid them in level design).
i had to basically rip the code out from individual objects and throw it all into a single script to make sure everything happened in the right order before each frame updated.

Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 am

updates on updates on updates on updates

YouTube Video:

made a hallway connected to luna's room, which leads to the remainder of the house (which currently doesn't exist). this is also the first time i've checked interactions with the shadow and more than one light source, and it worked surprisingly well.

this is also the first in-game appearance of selena, luna's older sister.

also lightly featured is the new grounded traction system; you will slide a bit when stopping, and take a bit to turn around when running. crouching will still stop you on a dime.

Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 am

some minor updates.

i’ve been working on some less noticeable changes like fixing shadow generation with multiple light sources, but in the meantime here’s a couple of more notable things i added recently.
(if you don't follow my spriting thread)
a title screen mockup. the pixel art aspects (luna and selena, the street, kind of the moon) will likely not be changed, but i will probably redo the grass and possibly sky at some point.

YouTube Video:

luna now walks in certain areas instead of running, will mostly consist of buildings where there’s more story stuff or interactable objects than enemies. minor detail, but i felt it was necessary.

YouTube Video:

mostly done with an object that you can push around for puzzles. still need to make the shadow able to interact with it and some other stuff.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 pm
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3