The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:48 am

[ 5 posts ] 
Mario great counter-pick to Naruto 

I know a lot of people don't play Mario here so I wanted to bring this up. I've been playing online against randoms who play Naruto pretty well and I had been struggling a lot until I picked Mario. He can deflect almost all of Naruto's moves and on stages with platforms can easily move around and counter any sit back and spam plays. There's a few other reasons I wanted to write but it's 1 AM and I can't think straight.

I just thought this was something interesting to discuss. :mario: V :naruto:

Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:55 am

MGN Username: SickHakma
Currently Playing: Game
You can discuss this in the character thread for naruto in the sub-forum. Interesting discussion though.

Amazarashi
YouTube Video:

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:19 am

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
As someone who picked up Mario for around 2 weeks only to discover why no one plays this character, I can say that this MU is pretty awful for Mario. Everything (besides recovery) Mario can do, Naruto can do except better. Speed, combos, finishers, pressure, etc Naruto can do better and has an easier time doing so.

Upb mines are super frustrating to deal with, you can cape side b and such but cape is so laggy and punishable its not even worth it. Fireballs get out prioritized by side b; Naruto's down b makes recovery really hard for Mario who posses a slow but far reaching recovery. In terms of combos, both character can kinda s*** on each other, but its 10x easier for Naruto to get in due to his superior approach, speed, and projectiles.

This MU isn't unwinnable by any means but it's one a Mario would want to avoid because how slow and frustrating it can be at times.
Mario 35 < Naruto 65

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Hakma wrote:
You can discuss this in the character thread for naruto in the sub-forum. Interesting discussion though.

Sorry about that, if any moderator or something want to lock this they can, I'll still respond to the guy below though.

WRXJoey wrote:
As someone who picked up Mario for around 2 weeks only to discover why no one plays this character, I can say that this MU is pretty awful for Mario. Everything (besides recovery) Mario can do, Naruto can do except better. Speed, combos, finishers, pressure, etc Naruto can do better and has an easier time doing so.

Upb mines are super frustrating to deal with, you can cape side b and such but cape is so laggy and punishable its not even worth it. Fireballs get out prioritized by side b; Naruto's down b makes recovery really hard for Mario who posses a slow but far reaching recovery. In terms of combos, both character can kinda s#%$& on each other, but its 10x easier for Naruto to get in due to his superior approach, speed, and projectiles.

This MU isn't unwinnable by any means but it's one a Mario would want to avoid because how slow and frustrating it can be at times.
Mario 35 < Naruto 65

While I agree Naruto has it better off ability wise and is a lot easier to play, it doesn't mean Mario is a bad matchup in my mind.

Personally the cape is the main reason why I think Mario has it better off, I do agree that it's a laggy move but it's nothing you can't adjust to with a few rounds of practice. Also if you short hop with fireballs or with the cape you can get past the ending lag. With Naruto's Shadow Clone Toss you can cape it back and end Naruto's combo and go into a grab combo with ease. That also applies with most of Naruto's projectiles which really slows him down. That being said if you miss a read or stuff up hear and there you will get pummeled. Also, with his cape you can edge guard most characters in general, you can hop off and cape them then use his good recovery to get back up. Cape edge guarding done successfully is almost impossible for the enemy to recover (I'd say almost since kirby characters and jiggly probably could).

I'm not talking about frame data or anything so it's more so just how the match up feels in general and what I've taken away from it, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I could still be wrong and have just gone against bad Naruto players.
(If something I wrote doesn't make sense it's because I'm really tired, I had an 8 hour shift with no break, also I play with a 360 controller if that makes a difference to what I say, makes short hopping really easy)

Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
You may wanna check the Mario forums. We had a discussion about this.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 am
 [ 5 posts ]