The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:35 am

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
[0.9b UNFINISHED] SSF2 Frame Data Project 
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
1smash18 wrote:
Godot wrote:
1smash18 wrote:
My god, such dedication for finding these frames within the characters. Great job man!

You definitely need recruitments.

What do you mean here lol

Like trying to get more help on your project to make things quicker.

Ah I gotcha. I do have people helping, its just that their schedules are quite busy and its hard for them to make time. Until the characters that have been assigned are the only ones left, I won't do those characters.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 am

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
What is the benefit of knowing the frame data of your character? It just looks like mumbo jumbo to me.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:42 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Huey wrote:
What is the benefit of knowing the frame data of your character? It just looks like mumbo jumbo to me.

While it isn't necessary to achieve a higher level of play, most players do take the time to learn this stuff. Also, I wouldn't say that knowing the absolute value of any statistic is important (like, you don't need to know EXACTLY when BBM's bombs level up, you already have a good idea), but using these to improve one's game is possible. It's useful for knowing what are your good options, as well as figuring out what is possible.

For example, I can tell you that Fox's fastest options out of his shield are shine and grab, both frame 4. I can also tell you that Zelda's fastest OOS option is her utilt, because it comes out on frame 2 (and you can cancel jumpsquat with utilt, I think this might be the fastest OOS option in the game if the jump+a inputs are done at the same time). This data can also be used to determine advantage on shield. Just consider things like landlag, endlag, frame spent midair, hitlag (for both ppl), and shieldstun. You can also use this knowledge to determine what OOS options you should be looking out for.

You can look at other character's to find out where a move's weakness lies with respect to frame data. You may also have an idea of how fast your aerials are, but learning how fast they really are can make a world of difference when trying to optimize. For example, Peach's dair comes out faster than her nair, so perhaps trying to aerial out of a combo would be easier with dair rather than nair.

Here, I'll quote from a basic frame data guide on shoryuken.com:
ilitirit wrote:
Wait wait wait... that's way too much info for me! And how am I supposed to remember all these numbers anyway!?
The important thing is to understand the concepts and implications, not remember the actual numbers. Frame data is usually just used as a reference. Very few players try to memorize all the numbers. Some of the data sticks in your head because it gets discussed a lot on forums etc, but not many people out there actually even know the all frame data for the characters they main. And even if you could memorize all the numbers, it's not going to help you in a match. You're not going to sit there and manually count the frames of various attacks.

So why even bother with frame data at all then?
It's completely possible to play without even knowing an iota of frame data. Some top players get by without even considering it. In fact, in the good 'ol days playing "by feel" was the only way people played, and there are many legendary players that come from that era. Frame data makes it easier to reason about and discuss certain things though. Instead of saying an attack is "quick", you can say it's a 3 frame move and everyone will know what you're talking about. It also takes out a lot of the grunt work. Instead of going through your entire arsenal trying to figure out which move you can use to punish after you blocked your opponent's cr.hk, you can just look up the relevant frame data and have the answer in a few seconds.

OK, I think I understand. But why measure in frames? If you're measuring duration why not use something like milliseconds?
Because it's easier to reason and talk about a 4f move than a 66.67ms move

Makes sense. So basically I can use the frame data to figure out combos and stuff?
Yep, but you can also use the frame data to easily figure out which moves can punish what, how safe/unsafe certain moves are, and check how much invincibility a move has. This information is usually included as a note or comment. eg. The note: "1~4f invincible, 5~16f lower body invincibility" for Ryu's HP Shoryuken means that it's invulnerable to normal attacks from frame 1 to 4, and the lower part of his body is invincible from frame 5 to 16. Again, you don't have to memorize these numbers, but given this information it's pretty easy to figure out that even if your opponent is able to attack with a poke or something a few frames before you are, you can do an HP Shoryuken to beat them because it has so many invincibility frames.

It's pretty abstract stuff, but it's still relevant enough to be useful for a match. Another example would be knowing that DK's upB has super armour on startup, so if you buffer it on wakeup you might be able to catch your opponent with it if they are slow on their tech chase.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:31 am

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Quote:
You can look at other character's to find out where a move's weakness lies with respect to frame data. You may also have an idea of how fast your aerials are, but learning how fast they really are can make a world of difference when trying to optimize. For example, Peach's dair comes out faster than her nair, so perhaps trying to aerial out of a combo would be easier with dair rather than nair.

Wow, I never even thought of that. Gonna go study Lloyd right now lol All of that was very useful info. Thanks man

edit: :') Lloyd isn't crossed off yet

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:54 am
SSF2 Developer

UPDATE: Black Mage, Goku, and Samus have been finished. You can check out their data from the link in the OP.

Thanks to Dark Ermac for getting most of BM's data for me.

Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:04 pm

MGN Username: ShadowAssasin2600
I'm still waiting for the matchup chart..

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:50 am

MGN Username: scum
Are you planing on finishing this chart lol. I haven't seen a single update in months

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:48 am
SSF2 Developer

scumbag wrote:
Are you planing on finishing this chart lol. I haven't seen a single update in months

I do want to, but it's tedious and I have school and now a job lol. I have Yoshi done (minus shieldstun data), and DE has a couple of new characters that I just need to transcribe.

Glad to hear tho that someone actually looks at this tho lol, I was worried that everyone was going to ignore it. Tbh it doesn't surprise me that people would since it is unfinished, but...

Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
we're always watching

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:29 am

What if SSF2 Beta after this project finishes.... gg

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 pm
SSF2 Developer

ShadowMario2600 wrote:
What if SSF2 Beta after this project finishes.... gg

Beta jokes featuring this now? I need to get off the slack chat and finish this then :pikachu:

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 pm

lol, good luck :pikachu:

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:51 pm

MGN Username: Ninjawarrior93
Currently Playing: SSF2
frame data project is bae

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:47 am
BR Member

For peach, you should probably put down what frame she officially has the turnip. Unless it IS frame 11 and I'm triping

Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 am
SSF2 Developer

FedEx wrote:
For peach, you should probably put down what frame she officially has the turnip. Unless it IS frame 11 and I'm triping

Peach officially has the turnip on frame 8, but you can't do anything for another 3 frames :) thanks for pointing out that this little detail is missing.

Wed May 25, 2016 2:24 pm
 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next