The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 10:15 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Something not implemented before... 

I've seen this on a lot of forums, and I see why. However, I don't see it here. And that would be a signiture size limit. There have been many times where scrolling through pages to find a post have been incredibly tedious due to lots of people having several huge images in their sigs that take up space. Would it be possible to somehow add some sort of rule limiting the size of images or the number of images/banners in sigs? It's something that would make browsing the forum a little bit easier for everybody, and is definitely something to be considered.

Any material in my sig is made (at least in part) by me. My avie is too.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 am

No, this is why we're going for spoiler tags. So people can hide most of their sig in one, or several.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 am

Currently Playing: LOL
gsumbreon wrote:
I've seen this on a lot of forums, and I see why. However, I don't see it here. And that would be a signiture size limit. There have been many times where scrolling through pages to find a post have been incredibly tedious due to lots of people having several huge images in their sigs that take up space. Would it be possible to somehow add some sort of rule limiting the size of images or the number of images/banners in sigs? It's something that would make browsing the forum a little bit easier for everybody, and is definitely something to be considered.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like some kind of code which not only looks at the text size, but also at images size.

Everytime it sees some [img]<url>[/img], it should go to the <url> and check the width and the lenght.
If all the images width and length combined with the letters amount is bigger than X Number, then you should recieve a menssage while editing you signature which says: Your signature is too big.

I believe is possible, but I'm not sure if someone is willing to code it.

ps: Images inside the "Spoiler tag" should count as having 0 widht and 0 length

Posts on old MG: 2432, level 16

Image chóu

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:37 am

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country 2
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

I'm sick of these two-page long signatures that everyone has, and it's even worse when the mods have huge-ass signatures because that's not setting a good example for the new members at all nope it's not.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:24 pm

Maybe to motivate people to make this happen, we should all get a huge 1000x5000 siggy that says 'ADD SIGGY SIZE LIMITS' and is blank everywhere else. Haha just kidding. But i support this idea though adding spoiler banners would be another solution.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:34 pm

NO MY EPIC SIG COULD VANISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Smashboards actually has some code where the sig has a fixed length, and will cut off anything too long, even the middle of a quote or banner. SPPf also had a code which limited the sig to 7 lines, plus a cap on image sizes an number of images.

Any material in my sig is made (at least in part) by me. My avie is too.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:48 pm

This REALLY needs to be done. Too man times, i've been reading a topic, when someone comes along with a freakin' poster as their avi or sig *COUGH*Smashking08*COUGH*, and it exponents the size of the page, and lags my browsers. And it cant be good for servers. Limit it to something reasonable, please.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:51 pm
Site Admin

First let me say there is a character limit, so if there's too much text in your sig it won't let you save it.

But there is a way to check image dimensions, though I think it could have a huge impact on the speed of the forums because of the number of images here. It has to check the size of every image in every sig in order to work, and it mostly likely does it every time a page loads.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Currently Playing: Donkey Kong Country 2
Cleod9 wrote:
First let me say there is a character limit, so if there's too much text in your sig it won't let you save it.

But there is a way to check image dimensions, though I think it could have a huge impact on the speed of the forums because of the number of images here. It has to check the size of every image in every sig in order to work, and it mostly likely does it every time a page loads.

Or, you could have global moderators edit the sigs that are too huge. :wee:

Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Kosheh wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:

yes, do that :wee:

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:17 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Koodoo25 wrote:
Kosheh wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:

Mods can't do that, and I'm not going to waste my time editing the sigs of every dumbass who doesn't know how to count pixels.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:32 pm

Currently Playing: LOL
Cleod9 wrote:

how about it checking the images size when you are creating your signature??

I mean, when you are in the control panel modifiying your signature, when you are done it should check the signature's images. If the signature image size limit is passed, then the change in the signature should not be acomplished... what you think about it?

Posts on old MG: 2432, level 16

Image chóu

Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Hakker wrote:
Koodoo25 wrote:
Kosheh wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:

Mods can't do that, and I'm not going to waste my time editing the sigs of every dumbass who doesn't know how to count pixels.

darn it that would be fun just taking a bunch of the things of their sig and replacing it with "I was a huge dumbass loser who had a big sig so an admin deleted it" :wee:

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:26 pm

[quote=\"Cleod9\"]First let me say there is a character limit, so if there\'s too much text in your sig it won\'t let you save it.

But there is a way to check image dimensions, though I think it could have a huge impact on the speed of the forums because of the number of images here. It has to check the size of every image in every sig in order to work, and it mostly likely does it every time a page loads.[/quote]
GET OUT MY TOPIC b****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/k

but I dont care about the sig limit unless it messes up My sig!. :lol:

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:03 pm
 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next