The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 5:33 pm

[ 15 posts ] 
Kidd's Showcase of Stages! 

So, yeah, I'll store and post my sprites here.
Mostly stages sprites for now.

Step 1st- Doing the outline (Not shaded yet. Colors shown as approximation.)
Party Tower - Mario Land: show

BTW, there is elements taken from 5 differents Mario Party Games that can be found on the line-art, two of them being the green spaces. Can you name them and from which game they come from?

Last edited by Kiddragon on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 am

Intriguing thus far

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:45 am

Currently Playing: Smash for
Ah, hello there Kidd.

Out of curiosity, do you have any stage hazards / gimmicks planned for Party Tower? It looks really neat right now.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 am

AEM wrote:
Ah, hello there Kidd.

Out of curiosity, do you have any stage hazards / gimmicks planned for Party Tower? It looks really neat right now.

Hi AEM.

Yeah, I have a few planned out. Should I list them?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 am

Currently Playing: Smash for
Kiddragon wrote:
AEM wrote:
Ah, hello there Kidd.

Hi AEM.

Yeah, I have a few planned out. Should I list them?

Yeah you probably should, it would help explain the layout more.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Waifu: Mina Ashido
I like this idea, are you allowing use of those sprites, because I have a background that would look awesome with it!

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Axel wrote:
I like this idea, are you allowing use of those sprites, because I have a background that would look awesome with it!

I have my background idea already, but I'm curious about what you've got.

And @ AEM...

The stage is most of the time, a basic plain one. But, each 30 seconds, an event happens.

-20/100 of the time, a question mark appears in the middle of the screen and starts blinking for a few secs. after, the platforms on both sides transforms into Brighton and Twila, who flies away. The platforms reappers after 20 secs.
-5/100 of the time, a exclamation mark appears and a "CHANCE TIME!" event starts. Three blocks appears, and automatically select two players, and the event : they either give all of the percentage to another, effectively healing them and damaging the other, or switch their percentage.
-75/100 of the time, a block appears. It stops when hit by a player, who becomes the user player of the event. It's either :
~Star Side, where Toad appears and gives a star to the user, healing 50%. It also adds a Star, but this game don't use a star system...
~Bowser Side, where Koopa Kid appears, and start a Bowser Revolution, adding everyone's damage and spliting them even between each player, rounded up.
~Bank Side, where Koopa appears and does 15% to the user.
~Bell Side, in which Boo appears, and then disappear. A Boo icon appears on the player damage counter, dealing from 15 to 30% (Damage reduced if you press the movement keys quickly). Boo reappears in the middle, and the user is then healed by the same amount of damage dealt.

Also, at 30 seconds of the end in timed match, the text "Last 30 Seconds" appears at the top.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Currently Playing: Not enough
It lacks so much foreground and thus making it looks very boring.

If you actually include foreground like stages much like Onnet or the Final Fantasy stage.

B/c right now your stage lacks a theme. But other than that. It looks fairly nice.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Touching everything wrote:
It lacks so much foreground and thus making it looks very boring.

If you actually include foreground like stages much like Onnet or the Final Fantasy stage.

B/c right now your stage lacks a theme. But other than that. It looks fairly nice.

The stage is supposed to be similar to the Animal Crossing Stage in conception as in pretty basic alone, but the background does everything, and I have not added the textures as of yet. But I'm really glad it look nice in the eyes of the master stage spriter.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Yea, but it really Lacks the 'board" feel.

I know you aiming for the floor tile feel with different choices. But I mean like Don't make a stage and say "here its the mario party stage" and then a snap shot of a blue sky or the rest of the board.

What I mean is, Connect the main ground to the foreground and have the Bg as a sky, mountains or something thing in that category.

And having the words "Mario Party" planted on the stage itself is really pushing it.. its like having all the stages have the name on it. What I'm saying You wanna show people its Mario party and not Tell them.

And by theme, I mean like what map is it from, is it from mario party 4-tropical islands or mario party 7 towering treetop? etc

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Yea, but it really Lacks the 'board" feel.

I know you aiming for the floor tile feel with different choices. But I mean like Don't make a stage and say "here its the mario party stage" and then a snap shot of a blue sky or the rest of the board.

What mean is, Connect the main ground to the foreground and have the Bg as a sky, mountains or something thing in that category.

And having Mario Party on the stage itself is really pulling it.. its like having all the stages have the name on it. What I'm saying You wanna show people its Mario party and not Tell them.

And by theme, I mean like what map is it from, is it from mario party 4-tropical islands or mario party 7 towering treetop? etc

I wanted to stay away of choosing a specific map from a specific game, as in every one got their favorite, why would that one be in more than that other one... But the design will get a change. I got a chat with another dev, and yeah, I realised that it don't quite.give the MP feel. But I think I like those letters... They are here to stay. Kinda like writing Mario Kart on the MK banner.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Thats like saying staying away from a specific temple of Loz, or a specific galaxy stage... Sure everyone has a favorite Galazy stage. But there needs to be One. Not a made up one.,

Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Thats like saying staying away from a specific temple of Loz, or a specific galaxy stage... Sure everyone has a favorite Galazy stage. But there needs to be One. Not a made up one.,

But I'm not represemting a single LoZ or a single SMB game, but a whole serie. With 60+ stages to represent, at once...
Should I chose a level, or make one that represent them all, in that case?

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Smash Bros. usually doesn't accurately carry over concepts for stages, so getting a little creative usually isn't a bad thing. You can get away with mixing up concepts and not chaining yourself to set areas (think of Norfair, Rumble Falls and Green Hill Zone). What you can do is choose a specific returning board theme and design off that.

Currently though, the stage lay-out simply isn't interesting, no offense. I think you can do more with it.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:24 am

Hm-Mm...

I think I know what I'll do... Whenever I can get a decent ref for it.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am
 [ 15 posts ]