The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:59 am

[ 14 posts ] 
Back Room Application 
BR Member

MGN Username: Pokepen
Currently Playing: SSBM, Project M, Super Meat Boy, SSF2
Waifu: none of ur business
Name (aka Handle):
Pokepen.
How old are you?:
13. However, I go to Melee tournaments in my area, so don't think I'm some kid who plays ssf2 during lunch in the computer lab at school.
Which characters do you play in SSF2? Why do you play these characters? (Note: do not list characters that are not currently in the game):
Fox
I probably use Fox because I want to play like a melee character. Being able to run cancel even during your dash allows for a shine to follow up into a grab or Usmash at pretty much any time. I can't stress how useful this game's new tech is. This character is fast. However, I feel this character gets a bit rekt by marth. I think fox is high tier.

*I don't main lloyd anymore, because 1.0 will destroy my character development. I might main him in 1.0 if I like the changes (which so far I don't)
How much experience do you have with official Smash titles? (SSB64, Melee, Brawl. Include in this answer which characters you play/played.):
SSBM: Falco, Fox
Melee is the only game that I really have decided what my mains are. I have played every other game though. I refuse to play Marth unless I really have to, because I think his large disjointed sword is stupid.
Have you ever attended any Smash tournaments? If so, give some details about the tournament (number of participants, which games, etc). How well did you place?
I go to "Gameclucks," A large monthly in Washington that consistently gets 80+ entrants. It features Silent Wolf and Bladewise. I didn't place too well last time I went, but that was in february. I think that I could get top 16 If i played good.
I'm currently in a tournament at my school called "Eruption," which is full of crappy players (there is 17 people there). The reason I'm still in the tournament is because we get a little less than 2 hours each Thursday to play the tournament on 1 or 2 setups.
When did you start playing SSF2?
v0.4 is when I started playing SSF2. I got back into the game when v0.8 came out, and I started playing competitively in v0.9b.
What is your favorite stage in SSF2? Explain.
Some would say Lunar Core deserves to be banned/counterpick. You can camp for days. Tethers can latch into spots that they shouldn't. It's huge. The platforms are high up. I think the only reason I actually like this stage is because It's legal in competitive play.
Pokemon Stadium 3 is my favorite if you don't count lunar core. I love the platform layout, and the stage is a good size.
Who, in your opinion, should be placed first on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a higher level than all others?
The character i think could be considered the best is Marth. And I just want to ask one thing; how much in marth's favor do you think Marth vs Fox is? marth has a chaingrab, and can then Utilt juggle. The UTilt with marth seems to have not that much endlag, which can make it link into itself (or at least on no DI training bots). In SSF2, when you use your double jump, you keep your momentum from before the jump. This allows you to go out further to edgeguard. I think marth in ssf2 will be one of those characters I only pull out when I really need to, just like melee marth. except for ssf2 marth is way different.
Who, in your opinion, should be placed last on the SSF2 tier list? Under competitive settings why would this character perform on a lower level than all others?
It's pretty close. I guess the worst character would be Chibi Robo. vertical recovery is mediocre, projectile is extremely weak. Nair and Uair are good.
Kirby might be worse though. I just don't want to see him be the worst :(
That being said, these characters are still really good.
If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
Online seems pretty broken. Randomly going to sudden death with a sandbag, staying in the training room forever, stuff like that. I find it very hard just to start a match. Maybe I'm just not doing something right.
Other then that, I guess add walljumps.
What is your view on items in competitive play?
Items add a luck based factor to the game that would kinda spoil competitive matches. I guess it could work If they had specific items, though. Bob-ombs spawning above you is the worst...
Do you have or can you download Skype? You don't need a mic or webcam.
I own a webcam. I have a Skype account, but I don't really use it.
Why do you want to join the Smash Flash Back Room? What will you contribute? Why are you an exceptional applicant? Be as detailed as possible.
I want to join the Smash Flash Back Room because I want to get the competitive scene to get bigger. Having a better tier list will help the devs of ssf2 know what needs changing in later updates, and a more solid ruleset will make the game more fair. Doing all this is also pretty challenging and interesting. I would contribute My knowledge of what each character can do with some of the new tech that this game has (running/dashing utilt, being able to run cancel at any time). I would also analyze what makes certain stages better/worse for certain characters, and why they should/shouldn't be legal.

Additional information (Include in this section anything relevant to your application. This could include links to videos of yourself playing.)
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrPokepen

:metaknight: :pikachu:

Twitch.tv/pokepen - I need to stream sometime

Last edited by Pokepen on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:05 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Blaxorus
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
1. What is your thought about Lunar Core Competitively? And why do you think so?

2. What do you think, using this stagelist is the best and worst stages for Fox? Go into detail and explain your choice.

STARTER
-Final Destination/Nintendo 3DS
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Story
-Pokemon Stadium III

COUNTERPICK
-Tower of Salvation
-Dreamland
-Sky Sanctuary
-Castle Siege
-Dracula's Castle
-Jungle Hijinx
-Wario Ware

3. Using the Stagelist earlier, what would you expect to play on using the 1-2-1 Striking system against Chibi Robo as Fox? You will have the first strike.
Make sure to go into detail, using your answer from above to explain why to and why not to go on these stages.

4. Explain what you think of the Chibi-Robo vs Fox MU, in detail. Make sure to talk about the Neutral Game, Punish Game, Offstage Game and Defensive game. Make sure to end it with a ratio, like 60-40 for Fox, or 40-60 for Fox.

Be very detailed in your response.

secondaries: :tails: :lloyd:

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:10 am
BR Member

*sorry for taking FOREVER to respond.

1. Lunar core should be banned. Tether glitches can occur, stage is too big, you can camp to the extreme, probably some other ridiculous stuff...

2. The worst starter stage for Fox, I think, is FD. He gets juggled, and he can't run away.. After that it would probably be Battlefield; it's like Yoshi's Story except your recovery sucks and you kill later.
The best starter stage for Fox is Yoshi's Story. When you can only aim Firefox at 8 different angles regardless of controller, it becomes important that you can ride up walls. You can also kill pretty early. Smashville would probably be after that, you can do some weird camping on the platform.
The best Fox Counterpick stage is Sky Sanctuary. Recovery can climb walls, stage is wide, but platforms are big, which is a really good combination for Fox, allowing him to run away and laser. The 2nd best counterpick stage is probably WarioWare because of how easy it is to kill.
The worst Counterpick stage is probably Tower of Salvation, It's like FD except that there is platforms off the side of the stage. This works against Fox because he is likely to slip off the platform with his traction. Fox's second worst counterpick is Dracula's Castle.

3. I'd strike Battlefield First, and not FD because I think FD is a great stage in this matchup. Chibi Robo would probably strike Yoshi's Story and FD because they are good Fox stages. I'd strike PS3 because Chibi Robo's recovery is better on that stage, and he can shark beneath the platforms. This means we will end up playing on Smashville, a good Fox stage.

4. a. Neutral Game - VS Chibi-Robo in Neutral, you do not want to be on low platforms when Chibi-Robo is below you. Chibo-Robo can shark with Uair, Nair, and sometimes Fair. When near the ground, you'll have to watch for Chibi-Robo's grab. As Chibi-Robo, I guess if you could land a Fair on Fox, you could get him above you or on a platform, which is a good position for Chibi-Robo. Fox's shine in SSF2 is a ridiculous Neutral tool. When you get a chance to run in, use Shinegrab (or even drillshinegrab?). Try not to get above Chibi-Robo.

b. Punish Game - When Fox gets a punish opportunity, you should go for drillshinegrab. This is Dair into Shine into JC Grab. Uthrow is almost always the best throw, so when you go for that, drillshinegrab can take about 30% (when done from a shorthop). Chibi-Robo's Uair is his most powerful move, so watch out for that. It can also juggle. Uthrow Uair is legit with Chibi Robo.

c. Offstage Game - At top level play, Chibi-Robo becomes way easier to edgeguard. If Fox is edgeguarding Chibi-Robo, he should keep on refreshing his ledge invincibility, because Chibi-Robo's recovery moves have hitboxes. Edgeguard him with a Bair if he is above you, and a shine if he is below. Chibi-Robo's Bair is one of his main edgeguarding options. Neutral B looks good at first, but it's pretty trash. If Chibi-Robo's Nair is similar to Marth's, then it should be good a good edgeguard. Chibi-Robo's Dair is probably a good meteor/spike. When Fox is recovering against Chibi-Robo, He should Recover High if Chibi-Robo is on the edge, and recover low if Chibi-Robo is on stage.

d. Defensive Game - As Fox, shield when you are on platforms, because then Chibi-Robo can't hit you from under the platform, and is forced to get onto the platform. As Chibi-Robo, run away from Fox; don't let the shine land on you or your shield, because either way it will probably lead into a grab.

Edit: matchup is 60:40, Fox's favor

Last edited by Pokepen on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:22 pm
SSF2 Developer

Assume that you are Fox and is still fighting Chibi-Robo. The Chibi-Robo player is down to use Gentleman's Clause: he allows you to pick between Final Destination or 3DS for one match. Which one, if either, should you go with, and why?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:30 am
BR Member

I think I'd rather go to 3DS because the horizontal blast zones are closer, meaning his toothbrush can't help him recover from as far out. Also, the stage seems just a bit smaller, so Chibi-Robo may have less space to run away.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:20 pm
BR Member

I don't know why I didn't put Meta Knight over Marth as the best character in the game. Well, here's a redo of that section:
Meta Knight greatly benefits from the SSF2 engine. Being able to use multiple jumps at the same time is a ridiculous mobility option for recovering, edgeguarding, combos, and pretty much everything. Double jumping in this game keeps momentum, so edgeguards are way better, and you can do crazy crap like carrying the opponent to the blast zone with Nairs. He also has the best "reset" in the game by a long shot with Dtilt, being very quick and working until EXTREMELY high percentages. I tested the Dtilt reset on Marth, and it works from 0-804%. Down B kills surprisingly early. Dthrow not only sets up juggles and combos, but takes 16%.
Also, for some reason, dash/run cancelled jab can slip off the edge mid-attack.

P.S I don't hate Marth anymore

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 pm
BR Member

why is it taking 3 weeks for a reply.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:46 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Sorry, there must have been some sort of miscommunication internally. We'll try to figure it out.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 pm
BR Member

It seems like this whole sub forum has been inactive for over a month for some reason

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:03 pm
BR Member

I'm sorry, we're working on it. We've been pretty active internally, not so much outside.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:03 pm
BR Member

Oh yeah, and here's a new answer to this question: If you could make only one change to SSF2 as it currently is, what would it be and why?
I actually have 2 things.

Shields are bad in critical situations. If somebody is camping under a platform with a projectile then you have a very small amount of options. There needs to be some sort of movement option out of shield.

Official Analog support. There doesn't have to be different walk speeds or anything, it's just so you don't have to double tap to dash. It makes movement less of a pain, especially falling through platforms. This game is absolutely BROKEN when played with double tap.

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:14 pm
BR Member

Is there any reasons why it's taking this long?

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm

MGN Username: Shine!
Currently Playing: Minecraft Bedrock & Roblox
Waifu: All guys from Free!
Backroom, more like, Slackroom
amirite guise?

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:56 pm
YIM
BR Member

This isn't us. We've made a decision but it's stuck in between us making the decision and stuff actually happening.although slackroom might be appropriate

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:42 pm
 [ 14 posts ]