The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 11:34 pm

[ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next
MG Mafia XIX: Dota 2 Mafia - GG 

Currently Playing: Dota 2, CSGO, MGSV
Brikanorak wrote:
Actually, that's a really good question. Were you going to speculate about the third party the entire game? As far as I can tell you still would have had to figure out a way to actually start the game after the third party discussion was over because that sort of thing doesn't give any indication of player alignment. Assuming that the speculation discussion had gone off without a hitch, where would have moved the game next?

As far as I can tell my method has worked pretty well so I'm not sure I see the problem with it. ~_^

And your way was better? Attracting a bandwagon on a player with zero posts based purely on meta?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
OK. Now we've got a lot to sort through. Before I begin,
ARTHUR, GENO, THOMAS, PLEASE POST MORE ASAP, THANKS

@Champ: I think that Kyuubit is town mainly because of his refutation of setup speculation, and the way he argued. While he hasn't said anything else(probably busy or something), I'm fairly confident in this read, at any rate.

Here's something interesting I've found when it comes to Genis. When it came to Breaking Bad Mafia and his time playing scum, he tended to rely quite a lot on his information advantage in order to trick the town through and through. Considering that he seems to be partaking quite a lot in setup speculation, I'll have to do a bit more research on his town meta, but this strengthens my read on him a bit more.

Also, Genis is right. Often I've seen town players be far more defensive than scum: this is generally because scum have more information than town, and while towns can sometimes be off track and not know it, the scum have an information edge, allowing them to remain calm under pressure. As with most of my tells, this is quite player-specific, so I'll do a bit of research on Genis.

@Brik: I hate having to defend myself on meta, but here I go.
Terra wrote:
Players who are confident and competent are surprisingly often scum, bussing. That same player as town misses things that their scum-self picks up on, that same town player lacks the same confidence because they don't know, that same player will be less effective at scumhunting as town than they are as scum. (Note that this is far from universal, and is incredibly player-specific. But in general, it's what I've observed: see Kyuubit, TOWK, Brik. As a counterexample, see me)

By it's not universal, I meant that it doesn't apply in every single situation. Players that are far too reliant on me screaming at everyone as town often fail to notice the more subtle parts of my townself. An excellent example of how this eventually lead to the town's downfall was Star-Crossed, where, after I took back my half-hearted null-scum read on Nixter, got me suspected, as many people thought it was a scum move. Then, I failed to defend myself and then gave up, which was taken as an uncharacteristically scum move on my part, which got me lynched. As Blood said(with spelling/grammar edits),
Terra wrote:
I hammered terra because in general he was just acting whack. In my mind town Terra wouldn't have been wishy washy and stuck to his guts.(I should know from mafia 14). The fact that he was not defending himself and being all over the place, with little to nothing in terms of clear objectives, felt out of place for town Terra. Put that with the fact I've never seen a mafia Terra and you can see why exactly I hammered.

@Nixter: It's not the RQS itself that I'm concerned with: it's the manner in which it was applied. I felt the questions were for the most part useless, and because he used it when the RVS was still going on, I felt it was a distraction at best and a diversion at worst, which, combined with his setup speculation, made me concerned with whether he actually wanted to help the town or not.

More coming soon but let's just say I have a feeling that Dephius may be misunderstood. Need to double-check, though, to make sure it's not a stupid case that gets town lynched/suspected(I'm a bit prone to that: Ramsey D1 in 14 and Axel in 17).

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Something has caught my eye while reading the topic from the beginning.

After Brikanorak called for a bandwagon on Terra, but before actually explaining why, Nixter said something that I found suspicious:
Nixter wrote:
oh Brik was trying to see who would get on the wagon, like a carrot to catch a rabbit

that's actually pretty smart

Brik seems pretty town to me in that respect, then

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you thought that your teammate was trying to catch scum in some sort of trap, wouldn't you want to stay quiet about it so the "trap" might actually work?

Instead, you revealed the possibility that it could be a trap, which could be to prevent either of your scumbuddies from falling for it.

Vote: Nixter

What do you have to say to that?

Pre-edit: Begone, ninja!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
Terra wrote:
By it's not universal, I meant that it doesn't apply in every single situation. Players that are far too reliant on me screaming at everyone as town often fail to notice the more subtle parts of my townself. An excellent example of how this eventually lead to the town's downfall was Star-Crossed, where, after I took back my half-hearted null-scum read on Nixter, got me suspected, as many people thought it was a scum move. Then, I failed to defend myself and then gave up, which was taken as an uncharacteristically scum move on my part, which got me lynched. As Blood said(with spelling/grammar edits),
Blood wrote:
I hammered terra because in general he was just acting whack. In my mind town Terra wouldn't have been wishy washy and stuck to his guts.(I should know from mafia 14). The fact that he was not defending himself and being all over the place, with little to nothing in terms of clear objectives, felt out of place for town Terra. Put that with the fact I've never seen a mafia Terra and you can see why exactly I hammered.

Sorry about that, fixed.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:26 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Franziska von Karma wrote:

After Brikanorak called for a bandwagon on Terra, but before actually explaining why, Nixter said something that I found suspicious:
Nixter wrote:
oh Brik was trying to see who would get on the wagon, like a carrot to catch a rabbit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you thought that your teammate was trying to catch scum in some sort of trap, wouldn't you want to stay quiet about it so the "trap" might actually work?

Instead, you revealed the possibility that it could be a trap, which could be to prevent either of your scumbuddies from falling for it.

Because I knew it would only work for a short while, so I decided to expose it so anyone who was wondering about why Brik did that would get the message and move onto something else.

That's what I have to say to that.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Currently Playing: baseball.
Assuming that was the purpose it didn't work.People have still asked brik about that.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 pm

Nixter wrote:
Franziska von Karma wrote:

Nixter wrote:

Because I knew it would only work for a short while, so I decided to expose it so anyone who was wondering about why Brik did that would get the message and move onto something else.

That's what I have to say to that.

According to Mr. Brikanorak himself, he wanted a bandwagon on Terra because of an issue involving his meta.

There's no way for you to know for certain that it was a trap or that it would "only work for a short while."

Pre-edit: I can handle my own arguments, thank you.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:03 pm

I only assumed that was the reason.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Let's say that it was the reason.

How do you think it benefits the town by revealing it as a trap for unsuspecting mafia?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Because it clearly wasn't working, there was voting action past it when I posted that, and none of it had to do with Terra, therefore I see it as null if no one took the bait.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

What player would have taken the bait anyway? Who's stupid enough to vote for a player because someone else simply said they should with no explanation?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

exactly, it would only work on the most naive players

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Dephius wrote:
Brikanorak wrote:
Actually, that's a really good question. Were you going to speculate about the third party the entire game? As far as I can tell you still would have had to figure out a way to actually start the game after the third party discussion was over because that sort of thing doesn't give any indication of player alignment. Assuming that the speculation discussion had gone off without a hitch, where would have moved the game next?

As far as I can tell my method has worked pretty well so I'm not sure I see the problem with it. ~_^

And your way was better? Attracting a bandwagon on a player with zero posts based purely on meta?
Wait wait wait. This isn't going to get anywhere if we keep asking each other questions without answering them. I'll answer yours if you answer mine. Deal?

Dephius wrote:
Well, my way did get the game moving so... yes?

In case my last post didn't make it clear, I was trying to make a point about how silly it is to use meta as a primary scum-hunting tool and how it's general importance is grossly exaggerated. What we should be focusing on is more of what Franziska did when she questioned Nixter's motivation for exposing my bait: looking at what people are posting in this game and making them answer for it.

I attempted to use humour to communicate my idea. See:
TheOneWhoKnocksWHENHEWASN'TACTINGASTHISGAME'SMODSOTHISDOESN'TCOUNTASQUOTINGHIM wrote:
While I'm perfectly fine with you giving general advice on the game itself, I have a problem with the two pieces below:
Terra wrote:
Players who are confident and competent are surprisingly often scum, bussing. That same player as town misses things that their scum-self picks up on, that same town player lacks the same confidence because they don't know, that same player will be less effective at scumhunting as town than they are as scum. (Note that this is far from universal, and is incredibly player-specific. But in general, it's what I've observed: see Kyuubit, TOWK, Brik. As a counterexample, see me)

I've found that TOWK, Brik and DJ hold a very good balance between the two spectrums, hence why they are so convincing as either alignment.

When you start specifically mentioning names of players on this forum, and saying "This is how they are in certain situations, you're highly risking meta becoming even more involved in our games than it already is, and the way it already is is too much. Please refrain from doing this as I don't ever want to see "well Terra said you act this way in the Tips and Tricks section" in an actual game. Thankies
and:
I wrote:
It's pretty simple. Terra said in the Tips and Tricks section that he is always super agressive as town. His play thus far has been much more controlled than usual, with significant traces of scum Terra tendencies. Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that he is mafia.

It was supposed to be funny... : /

Alright. Now you answer my questions. Assuming that the speculation discussion had gone off without a hitch, where would have moved the game next? How?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:48 pm

that didn't seem like a joke whatsoever...

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Brikanorak wrote:
No, the theme is promoting pages of useless filler posts that do nothing to help us win the game. See Ace Attorney mafia.

My vote is 100% serious. I actually want to lynch Terra.

How was anyone supposed to figure out that was a joke?

We would have found a way to get the game moving. Someone would have slipped, we would have targeted each other with questions, and yes, that sounds slow and inadequate, but it's way better than making a poorly communicated joke telling people to bandwagon, which, I don't think was a joke. I think you WERE serious about lynching Terra, and you're playing it off as "Oh hey I was parodying bad plays" so you wouldn't get put under suspicion. Why use humor in the first place? I thought the Mafia community had panned it after Shoop kept making jokes.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 pm
 [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next