The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 7:30 am

[ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next
Sora 
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
The only time when FSmash > USmash is if you've tippered it and your opponent's horizontal recovery is poor or your opponents character is a fastfaller, as USmash will not kill as early.

In general, FSmash should only ever be used as a KO move. USmash is an amazing anti-air and one of Sora's best moves

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:53 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Double post, I'm sorry
So, I've prepared a little analysis on Sora's grab game, which may be better than we thought.

Grab game:
Sora's got it pretty rough when it comes to his grab game, he has one of the shortest grab ranges in the game, and he doesn't get a large amount of mileage from a grab upon landing one. But, there are some uses for most of his throws, which I will detail below:

Forward Throw:
If you land a grab, and you can't chaingrab anymore because you've reached the maximum number of throws before your buffered pivot DThrow chaingrab stops working and you have to rely on a dashgrab mix-up, this is probably your best option to punish with. It allows you to get your opponent off and away from you without too much cost to you. However, unlike DThrow or UThrow, you can't do anything much in terms of combos out of it, if any, so unless you are trying to just get your opponent off you, stick to the other two throws, because FThrow is not a good option for even attempting to combo.

TL;DR - Best use of this move is as a get-off-me (and my shield) option, other than that, it's fairly lacklustre.

Up Throw:
Arguably, this is Sora's most versatile throw. It's the 7th most powerful Up Throw in the game, killing Mario at 190% (with no DI) on 3DS, which actually makes it a feasible enough killing option considering that many Sora players will be getting their foes to stupidly high percents, but it also has a chain throw. The chain throw works best on fastfallers, however, it can create landing mixups on high fallers like :donkeykong: , :ichigo: , and :chibirobo: . On any character, except the uber light ones, it's a fairly viable combo throw at low-mid and even high percents in some cases (the aforementioned fast and high fallers). UThrow -> Fair/Any aerial is viable at this percent, and this throw is a good enough tool to be considered whilst comboing should you land a grab.

When it comes to using this throw to KO, there are better options, but if you happen to be on the top platform of YS, and you happen to land a grab, maybe it'll come in useful.

TL;DR - Chain throws on Fastfallers and mixup option vs High Fallers, Best use is as a combo throw as it will usually lead to an aerial or even an aerial string. KOing is unlikely, but may work on YS.

Down Throw:
This move really only has one viable purpose, but it serves said purpose very well. It works as a chain throw, and it's a very solid chain throw. The only problem is you have to buffer a pivot in order to guarantee the next throw. Fortunately, this is very easy to do:
1) Grab
2) Perform a DThrow (or any throw)
3) HOLD the opposite direction to the one you were facing.
4) When the foe has been thrown, press grab.
5) Lather, rinse, repeat.

There's a certain percentage that's unique to every character as far as I know, where this chaingrab stops working. To give you the most extreme cases, :jigglypuff: 's will stop working at around ~15%, whereas :donkeykong: 's will stop at 60%. (I will try and find these percentages out for you all). After this, you'll have to rely on a dash grab mixup. Put simply, this means you'll probably have to dash forward to land the next grab, which is very clunky to do. By that point, the best thing to do is to use a FThrow or an UThrow at that percentage (likely it will finish at midpercents, so a UThrow is probably better).

Outside of a chaingrab, Sora can lead this into a Dash Attack, but this is situational at best, and isn't guaranteed, so the chaingrab is the superior option.

TL;DR - If you're gonna use this throw, use it as a chain throw only. Remember to buffer your pivots and if all else fails, use the UThrow on the next grab.

So, that's all of Sora's useful throws. The last throw is completely useless, but I'll explain why anyway:

Back Throw:
This throw is just bad. There's no other way to put it. The freeze effect can be broken out of before the move ends. It has no chain throw and minimal combo potential, it doesn't kill at all, and to top it all off, it sends foes upwards, not away, like FThrow, so it can't practically be used for edgeguarding.

Whilst the upwards knockback isn't too bad, and it could in theory combo into an Up Smash, it's likely you'll have to physically knock the controller/computer out of their hands to land this move without the opponent breaking out of the freeze effect.

TL;DR - Terrible throw, do not use.

Hope this helps anybody who either wants to try maining Sora, who is maining Sora, or who just wants to laugh at the lack of Sora players and how I'm effectively posting this guide for myself. :pikachu: Take your pick.

Yes this will be in the Sora guide.

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:48 pm

MGN Username: scum
I have to disagree with your views on up-throw and down-throw. Up-throw is much more situational than down-throw. The chain on fast fallers is very much escapable especially when factoring sora's piss poor game range. Up throw also lacks hitstun meaning it has no real conversions outside of fast fallers. The only real purpose of up throw is setting up tech chases on platforms. Down throw on the other hands is a much more reliable chain grab that has the hit stun to lead to conversions until around mid percentage. Also down throw chain grabs can be finished with a up smash which does good damage. But as far as the chain grab goes, the most reliable way to link it is by dash boost grabbing.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:32 pm
BR Member

scumbag wrote:
I have to disagree with your views on up-throw and down-throw. Up-throw is much more situational than down-throw. The chain on fast fallers is very much escapable especially when factoring sora's piss poor game range. Up throw also lacks hitstun meaning it has no real conversions outside of fast fallers. The only real purpose of up throw is setting up tech chases on platforms. Down throw on the other hands is a much more reliable chain grab that has the hit stun to lead to conversions until around mid percentage. Also down throw chain grabs can be finished with a up smash which does good damage. But as far as the chain grab goes, the most reliable way to link it is by dash boost grabbing.

1) Your opinions have been noted, techchasing on platforms however is considerably more situational than it's use as a combo throw. And sure, it's conversions can be unreliable. I'm pretty sure I said it could be used as a mixup option though. I'll be sure to look into it though.

2) Um...on-spot pivot grabbing? That works much better in my eyes than dash boost grabbing simply because it's easy enough to do, and it's more reliable, especially when you factor in Sora's piss poor grab range. Also, the problem with DThrow is the angle it sends the foes, as well as it being sent behind you. I'll look into conversions regarding it, but the on-spot pivot chaingrab will guarantee up to 15-60% depending on the character, rather than forcing you to gamble with missing a grab by using a boost grab.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:01 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Blaxorus
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
So, I've prepared a little analysis on Sora's grab game, which may be worse than we thought.

Grab game:
sora's grab range sucks and using this attack will get u 0-deathed. no matter what, using his grab is bad. Almost as bad as f-smash/f-tilt/jab/da/u-tilt/u-smash/d-tilt/d-smash/nair/dair/fair/bair/uair/strike raid/thundaga/flowmotion/up-b if not badder.

Forward Throw:
if you use f-throw, ur gonna get KO'd as the hitstun of f-throw, while lasting longer than me ( ;) ;) ;) ) doesn't last that long.

TL;DR - Best use of this move is to get your stock taken, effective immediately.

TL;DR of teh TL;DR - Sora sucks
Up Throw:
can ko at 300%, but that's not unlike all him other attacks so Whatever
TL;DR -KOing is unlikely but may work if i was better at this game Who really knows :sora:

Down Throw:
outside of chaininggrab combo, this throw is terrible and using it will make you immediately punished and personally, if u use it for other reasons u should kinda Rethink ur life choices... maybe.
TL;DR - Remember, if you use it correctly, ur chance of winning decreases tenfold :smile: cause u know sora sucks and i'm not.... Or anything :shifty: .

So, that's all of Sora's useless throws. The last throw is so badder than the rest, you can't even use it. it doesn't allow you to do anything. ur strictly forced on f u and dswift.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

anyways, you make him sound terrible, a ton more than he is
d-throw chaingrabs, you should take what you can get. considering d-throw gives sora a ton of frame advantage and he can even regrab without having to move at all (until higher percents)
around 75%, you can combo it into a (high flowmotion wdash) into d-tilt, into uair, up-b, and then nair, and maybe reverse thunder. who knows, it's potential is only as limited as the player.

u-throw i do think is terrible tho

f-throw is amazing, tho. if people are thinking of DIing out or down on d-throw, you can f-throw and then d-tilt, or whatever you want. f-throw is super fast and deals the most percent of all his useless throws. not only does it

and b-throw.. where do i start....

If they jump away, cover it with fair. Easy.
If they choose to attack however, you'll get punished. I know. But, that's why you shield it. Shield it and then OoS U-Smash/ any aerial. In fact, even u-tilt works, and that can get you a ton of followups.
b-throw's usually throw people offstage, but i'm sure that b-throw into shield then OoS fair may work for that

off of a u-tilt or something at low to mid percents, you can get a thunder
u-tilt into thunder deals, by itself, 23%, or around there (tested in training mode and ik training mode sucks for damage). combined with the 9% from b-throw, it's 32%. that itself is a lot, especially considering that if spaced well, it'll either set up for edgeguards, pull in, or setup for juggles.

b-throw can just be used to bait attacks in general. instead of u-smash, run away, throw a sr and because you baited them, they'll be confused and run into it, or something along those lines.

i don't see why you have to make it sound like using his throws will get you 0-deathed.

if you're trying to make a guide, it's usually to help people win. not to tell people that playing this character is a bad idea.
which was also another problem with skai's guide, saying "if you need a secondary" you're trying to play that character.

:no: this thread is disappointing. what you guys do misrepresents sora and distorts how people feel. before making a guide, and i do know that you think sora is trash, but please, stop falsifying things.

EDIT2: also, just thought i'd add. no offense to you, wooly. but like i said, it misrepresents sora and distorts how people feel.

secondaries: :tails: :lloyd:

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Note to devs, Sora's down tilt (which is probably his best move) is very Roy-ish in nature. It has good range (not the same of marth/roy's though) on top of being a fast disjoint (frame 6 maybe) and a combo starter. Alot of Sora's neutral game is dependent on dash dancing and well space down tilt. However, it's flawed in terms of damage, hit stun, and the outwards angle it sends opponents making follow ups rather easy to DI out of. This plus Sora's small dash dance range and bad grabs/throws make his neutral alot worse then roy's or marth's (who's neutrals aren't even great to begin with). Thus i suggest y'all buff Sora's down tilt by giving it more damage (6 instead of 4). In addition to this, give it more knock-back/hit-stun and make it send opponent in a straight upwards angle. This would give him more reliable down tilt conversions as well as the down tilt to bair KO set up that Roy has in PM.

Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:43 pm
THE BEST FOR :sora: IS COMMAND DECK! ^-^

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:44 am
BR Member

Chaos0: show
Chaos0 wrote:
So, I've prepared a little analysis on Sora's grab game, which may be worse than we thought.

Grab game:
sora's grab range sucks and using this attack will get u 0-deathed. no matter what, using his grab is bad. Almost as bad as f-smash/f-tilt/jab/da/u-tilt/u-smash/d-tilt/d-smash/nair/dair/fair/bair/uair/strike raid/thundaga/flowmotion/up-b if not badder.

Forward Throw:
if you use f-throw, ur gonna get KO'd as the hitstun of f-throw, while lasting longer than me ( ;) ;) ;) ) doesn't last that long.

TL;DR - Best use of this move is to get your stock taken, effective immediately.

TL;DR of teh TL;DR - Sora sucks
Up Throw:
can ko at 300%, but that's not unlike all him other attacks so Whatever
TL;DR -KOing is unlikely but may work if i was better at this game Who really knows :sora:

Down Throw:
outside of chaininggrab combo, this throw is terrible and using it will make you immediately punished and personally, if u use it for other reasons u should kinda Rethink ur life choices... maybe.
TL;DR - Remember, if you use it correctly, ur chance of winning decreases tenfold :smile: cause u know sora sucks and i'm not.... Or anything :shifty: .

So, that's all of Sora's useless throws. The last throw is so badder than the rest, you can't even use it. it doesn't allow you to do anything. ur strictly forced on f u and dswift.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

anyways, you make him sound terrible, a ton more than he is
d-throw chaingrabs, you should take what you can get. considering d-throw gives sora a ton of frame advantage and he can even regrab without having to move at all (until higher percents)
around 75%, you can combo it into a (high flowmotion wdash) into d-tilt, into uair, up-b, and then nair, and maybe reverse thunder. who knows, it's potential is only as limited as the player.

u-throw i do think is terrible tho

f-throw is amazing, tho. if people are thinking of DIing out or down on d-throw, you can f-throw and then d-tilt, or whatever you want. f-throw is super fast and deals the most percent of all his useless throws. not only does it

and b-throw.. where do i start....

If they jump away, cover it with fair. Easy.
If they choose to attack however, you'll get punished. I know. But, that's why you shield it. Shield it and then OoS U-Smash/ any aerial. In fact, even u-tilt works, and that can get you a ton of followups.
b-throw's usually throw people offstage, but i'm sure that b-throw into shield then OoS fair may work for that

off of a u-tilt or something at low to mid percents, you can get a thunder
u-tilt into thunder deals, by itself, 23%, or around there (tested in training mode and ik training mode sucks for damage). combined with the 9% from b-throw, it's 32%. that itself is a lot, especially considering that if spaced well, it'll either set up for edgeguards, pull in, or setup for juggles.

b-throw can just be used to bait attacks in general. instead of u-smash, run away, throw a sr and because you baited them, they'll be confused and run into it, or something along those lines.

i don't see why you have to make it sound like using his throws will get you 0-deathed.

if you're trying to make a guide, it's usually to help people win. not to tell people that playing this character is a bad idea.
which was also another problem with skai's guide, saying "if you need a secondary" you're trying to play that character.

:no: this thread is disappointing. what you guys do misrepresents sora and distorts how people feel. before making a guide, and i do know that you think sora is trash, but please, stop falsifying things.

EDIT2: also, just thought i'd add. no offense to you, wooly. but like i said, it misrepresents sora and distorts how people feel.

So, I took a bloody age to respond to this.

I'll be sure to not to incorporate that stuff on grabs because the guide probably ain't happening anymore, as well as put the oven on so I can eat my words.

So, basically the real TL;DR
TL DR: show
UThrow - Set up a techchase on a platform and or use as a very situational chain throw or mixup
FThrow - Fast and deals most percent, use as a DI mixup or something[./b]
BThrow - [b]Mindgames

TL;DR of the TL;DR - DSwift is a s*** Sora player.

Well guys, it's been a pretty awful run overall, so see you guys in a different character board.

Thanks Chaos.

Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Hey, Sora dudes. I've got a question. I've been playing around with this character and steadily improving, but I've run across a specific matchup, or rather, a specific style of a specific matchup that I can't seem to figure out. Players that I could beat handily with other characters have been absolutely demolishing my Sora because I simply have no idea how to approach this problem. What problem, you ask? Why, none other than that infernal creature, the Naruto who does nothing but sit atop his clone mine and charge Rasenshuriken. I find that anything I try is either too slow - and therefore easily punishable - or not of high enough priority to destroy the clone. As I have said, this is a laughably easy strategy to best with the other characters that I play, but I simply cannot figure it out with Sora. How do you guys deal with it?

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:39 pm
BR Member

DSmash -> Destroys Clone Mines and Rasenshuriken
Fair -> Destroys clones.

Hope that helps.

Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 am
DSwift wrote:
DSmash -> Destroys Clone Mines and Rasenshuriken
Fair -> Destroys clones.

Hope that helps.

Flowmotion can also destroy Naruto's Clone

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 am

This never occurred to me before but why aren't sora's color palettes based off of his drive forms from KH2?

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:11 pm
scumbag wrote:
This never occurred to me before but why aren't sora's color palettes based off of his drive forms from KH2?

Because Color Paletes to SSF2 depends on Hue Stratuation

Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:17 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Translating into English: This game is not on a console, with rigging and skins done like they are on the consoles. Because this game is sprited, the costumes are limited technically to essentially just messing with hue and saturation.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:40 pm

It looks like Sora is going to get his old tools next patch. I was playing 0.9.a, and he just feels a lot more powerful than he is now, even with the reduced recovery options. Getting fire back is going to be a godsend, as it means there's finally another kill option, even if it won't be able to combo from down throw anymore.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:32 pm
 [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 38  Next