The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:14 pm

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Sprite Shenanigans -- Looking for requests 

A bit new to spriting, trying to get the hang of it and hopefully add to the pool of available sprites.

Here're some of my first:

Sophitia from the Soul series.

Krystal from Star Fox

Lucina from Fire Emblem
Any advice/edits would be helpful :)

Do you even lift?

Last edited by TrippleDedede on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:13 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
Very good for a start man, thanks for sharing. If you're just starting out I would recommand just playing around untill you get the hang of the basics (lineart, shading, pallet and anatomy). We have some cool tutorials in the tutorial topic for you to check out if you want to.

Looking forward to your future works!

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Steven wrote:
Very good for a start man, thanks for sharing. If you're just starting out I would recommand just playing around untill you get the hang of the basics (lineart, shading, pallet and anatomy). We have some cool tutorials in the tutorial topic for you to check out if you want to.

Looking forward to your future works!

Hey thanks! As a long time lurker and admirer of your work that means a lot coming from you!
As for playing around, I try to do just that, but a lot of the time it seems like a crap shoot. Here's a Krystal sprite I finished some time ago:
It felt like a lot of guess work to make everything look proper, and I'm still not too sure about it haha.

Back to Sophitia, the anatomy is really getting to me. The hands just don't look right in my opinion, everything else I might be able to live with haha. The shield was a pain in the a**, and the arm holding the sword just looks too short, but when I extend it it looks wrong, that's not even mentioning the odd position of her sword.

I've got a lot of work to do! :P

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Looks great, honestly. You're definitely on the right direction.

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Lucina sprite!

Based on her smash design along with this:
Which, in my opinion, differentiates her from Marth tremendously design wise.

Trying to work on making finer details without making the sprite too noisy, didn't do so well this time around but practice makes perfect!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
The colors look a bit too bright, but it looks good overall : )

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:41 pm

MGN Username: Micbro
Currently Playing: Super Smash Brothers for 3ds, Super Smash Flash 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (after game stuff)
Also, what is the sword based on? I haven't seen that sword before (never played fe)

Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:05 pm

MGN Username: SageHarpuiaJDJ
Currently Playing: The game of Life
Waifu: Beruka from Fates
It looks like a mix of both variations Falcion from Shadow Dragon and Awakening. Having a gold blade like Awakening's and Shadow Dragon's design.

Really nice work for a beginner. As mentioned, the colors can be toned down a bit. As well as better contrast.

May I make a request?

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:04 pm

-Micbro wrote:
Also, what is the sword based on? I haven't seen that sword before (never played fe)

Sage of Pixels wrote:
It looks like a mix of both variations Falcion from Shadow Dragon and Awakening. Having a gold blade like Awakening's and Shadow Dragon's design.

Really nice work for a beginner. As mentioned, the colors can be toned down a bit. As well as better contrast.

May I make a request?

Sure! Just don't expect it to come any time soon since I have exams :P

Kirb-Star wrote:
The colors look a bit too bright, but it looks good overall : )

Thanks! I actually enjoy brighter colors and tones, but I'll try to recolor it some other time and see what that looks like.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 am

MGN Username: Micbro
Currently Playing: Super Smash Brothers for 3ds, Super Smash Flash 2, Kid Icarus Uprising (after game stuff)
Oh, I knew about the falchion. its your own version of it?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:12 pm

-Micbro wrote:
Oh, I knew about the falchion. its your own version of it?

I guess you could say that, I'm planning on editing it though.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:03 pm

Back to our regularly scheduled mediocrity:

Tried out spriting an old Wii Fit Trainer sprite I found on the internet and can't seem to find now. If anyone knows who made the original, please let me know so I can credit them with the base!

New to making gifs/animating in general, so if anyone wants to improve on it or just use the sprites, here you are!

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:07 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I think if you were to add 1 more frame of start-up and some additional cooldown you'd give more of a 'snap' to the animation. Exaggeration is important and becomes increasingly so the smaller the sprites get. Expiriment with stretching when it comes to these types of animation, I think you'll find that it helps convey motion exceedingly well. I believe this stuff is called 'secondary animation' but I'm not entirely sure.

For your first steps into the world of animation it is, however, increddibly good and I'm proud of you. You appear to know how to pick some good core frames to convey the motion smoothly, very well done.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Steven wrote:
I think if you were to add 1 more frame of start-up and some additional cooldown you'd give more of a 'snap' to the animation. Exaggeration is important and becomes increasingly so the smaller the sprites get. Expiriment with stretching when it comes to these types of animation, I think you'll find that it helps convey motion exceedingly well. I believe this stuff is called 'secondary animation' but I'm not entirely sure.

I've actually seen this technique used on your Ryu sprite and have been meaning to try something similar out, thanks for the advice!

Steven wrote:
For your first steps into the world of animation it is, however, increddibly good and I'm proud of you.

<3

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Made it a bit smoother, I'll be try stretching it once I've thought more about the idea. :)

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:21 am
 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next