The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:04 am

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Time/Date tags???? 

If tl;dr jump to red part;

Well, I just (and it was really RIGHT now) had an idea and we could test it here:
Tags for time and date that would show the local time based on the user's settings.

Sometimes we forget timezones exist, and someone may say you could log in to talk at 3:00pm (their local time), and you login at 3:00pm (your local time), and then fuuuuuuuuuuuu- you notice he has just logged off.

But in the case we DO remember, though, it may still be hard to know their timezones, and even when it is stated it may be a different timezone system (like "UTC", "EST", "GMT") and it may confuse you or just make it hard to convert between those.

Ok, I do know that for "important" events you could just set a counter on a random and whoever uses it will have it displayed at their own language (eg. when TID posted a counterdown to SSF2's release), but still, it could be more comfortable that way, and it is just a suggestion.

It could be simple as that: [time]6:30pm[/time] and [date]20/03/2011[/date], this would be according to the poster timezone setting, and whoever reads that would have it converted to their local time according to their settings. People MUST check their timezone setting. (Unless you can do it other way around, using PHP wich could possibly check the timezone automatically according to your connection. I remember reading about that when I learned some of PHP, but I can't exactly describe what it is exactly; but I think you got it...).

Yeah, not that needed, but may be useful, at least worth trying.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:10 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
This could actually help a lot for times like... for example the day before 0.7's release.

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:52 pm

ClashX wrote:
This could actually help a lot for times like... for example the day before 0.7's release.

Or for when people are making game torunaments, or for contests, or for developer (not only for SSF2, any people developing anything in this forum) meetings, or for "the baseball game is starting at XX:XXpm, I'll be there, what it here *link here*", or for "--hey I have something to talk to you --I'm busy today but log in tommorow at XX:XXam", maybe for news, or for *I forgot what I was going to say but I think I have made my point already*.

Not everyum is american, y'know.

And well, the idea is actually rather for developing it and make it public, it could be much more useful on other forums. I just posted it to MG 'cuz I haven't many other places to post it.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:22 pm
Site Admin

This might be possible via Javascript, I'll take a look at this.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Cleod9 wrote:

You can do this in PHP, as far as I know, I just don't know if it would work in PHPBB3.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 pm
Site Admin

MultiSenhor wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:

You can do this in PHP, as far as I know, I just don't know if it would work in PHPBB3.

Yes but PHP does not integrate into posts as far as I know, but I had something in mind along the lines of this:

Code:
[timestamp zone=-5]4:00[/timestamp]

The zone would be the poster's time zone, and there would be a script to display that time depending on your PC's clock

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 pm

Currently Playing: The Game
Isn't it in the forum style? I know its coded in one of the forum forms.

In fact, taking that in to account, you think you can make it so that it displays the local forum time, whatever GMT it is and local user time in posts?

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:27 am

s***, the backup didn't have the latest posts =,/

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:09 pm

DP for good reason: look at the attachment area in the post editor, looks strange, may be nothing but still + I can't post in some topics, like in the one it was supposed to go.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:16 pm
Site Admin

MultiSenhor wrote:
DP for good reason: look at the attachment area in the post editor, looks strange, may be nothing but still + I can't post in some topics, like in the one it was supposed to go.

That should be fixed now

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Cleod9 wrote:
MultiSenhor wrote:

That should be fixed now

What, the deleted posts? (no), not posting in some topic (haven't checked), attachmens (no).

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:24 pm
Site Admin

MultiSenhor wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:
MultiSenhor wrote:

That should be fixed now

What, the deleted posts? (no), not posting in some topic (haven't checked), attachmens (no).

Deleted posts aren't coming back (security reasons)

The icons to post should have returned (were malfunctioning at one point)

And where are attachments not working?

Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Cleod9 wrote:
MultiSenhor wrote:
Cleod9 wrote:
MultiSenhor wrote:

That should be fixed now

Deleted posts aren't coming back (security reasons)

The icons to post should have returned (were malfunctioning at one point)

And where are attachments not working?

They don't really work since 1~3 years ago, I thought you had noticed that, but what I was point out was just a Google Chrome issue *I HATE IT!!!*

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:25 pm
Site Admin

MultiSenhor wrote:
They don't really work since 1~3 years ago, I thought you had noticed that, but what I was point out was just a Google Chrome issue *I HATE IT!!!*

Lol, well it turned out we reached attachment cap is all, I increased the space just now

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm

Cleod9 wrote:
MultiSenhor wrote:

Lol, well it turned out we reached attachment cap is all, I increased the space just now

Does that mean we can attach now? Good.

I still can't post on the topic about the forum bein back.

I'll repost what I said: You know those boxes that appear when we hover the mouse on text/images/whatever? So, the post itself could show whatever time you set and if you hover the mouse it can show it in your time, the forum's time, or both.
Like that (for those who are stupid, I din't mean to make it a image of an angry face that shows the time, I just meant a box would appear too >_<):

You probably didn't read the erased posts, but they said they were in favor of changing the clock to the "forum time" (ie, yours). Of course, the posts should still be in the time you posted in the UCP, the same for that hover thing, ie, if you force everyone to have your time for everything, it would be quite confuse.

I know it is getting kinda complicated, but it could be done if you spend some time over the next month trying, if not possible it is OK too.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:31 pm
 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next