The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:26 pm

[ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
*Suli's recent sprite stuff: Kuroda Jin and random drawings* 

The Break 05 style looks just like JUS sized KHR sprites, which makes them look a bit awful, you could better try something else. You could do them like you did Mochran, i mean, you claim he's a JUS sprite but he doesn't look quite like it at all, or try something like making the heads real size(little).

But you can keep trying to give it a better look, i just think you need some proportion tips, and doing JUS won't help you. I'd say more but that would be offensive so...

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:36 pm

MGN Username: Suli
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem 1-13, Tales of Xillia/Graces, Smash 4
Ah, finally getting real crit.

Again it's really an experiment and I can go back and change/redo whatever, as I said in my reply to Proton.
Okay so less-JUS type anatomy and make it more realistic, pretty much. That plus color palette choices and redoing the poses.

Also Mochran is JUS, you know. *points at Allen Walker*

Anyway as I said earlier I'll go through and redo as much as needed next weekend.
Also don't think about offensive, bro, I prefer honest crit as long as it's not resorting to unbacked insulting~

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 pm

<Na>Suliboy wrote:

Again it's really an experiment and I can go back and change/redo whatever, as I said in my reply to Proton.
Okay so less-JUS type anatomy and make it more realistic, pretty much. That plus color palette choices and redoing the poses.

Anyway as I said earlier I'll go through and redo as much as needed next weekend.
Also don't think about offensive, bro, I prefer honest crit as long as it's not resorting to unbacked insulting~

You actually received the real critique from me and Proton. When a lot of people are noticing a flaw in your sprites, it must mean that there really is a flaw with it.

The sprites look really awkward. They won't be able to balance themselves.

The problem with most of your sprites is that they don't have joints. Or maybe they do have joints, but underexaggerated.

Also, in the yellow circles, you can see the use of too many shades. You're using too many shades for a small area that can be shaded with 2 shades.

The sprites need balance. How do you make sure of that? Try flipping it horizontally, usually this will show you if they are leaning or not. Your sprite currently has a weak side (left side) and a strong side (right side). But compared to my stickman (not perfect), it's balanced. You should also try most of these poses because they don't feel natural.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Suzy Bae wrote:
<Na>Suliboy wrote:

You actually received the real critique from me and Proton. When a lot of people are noticing a flaw in your sprites, it must mean that there really is a flaw with it.

The sprites look really awkward. They won't be able to balance themselves.

The problem with most of your sprites is that they don't have joints. Or maybe they do have joints, but underexaggerated.

Also, in the yellow circles, you can see the use of too many shades. You're using too many shades for a small area that can be shaded with 2 shades.

The sprites need balance. How do you make sure of that? Try flipping it horizontally, usually this will show you if they are leaning or not. Your sprite currently has a weak side (left side) and a strong side (right side). But compared to my stickman (not perfect), it's balanced. You should also try most of these poses because they don't feel natural.

Hence the long response to Proton's crit where I said I'd do what he said~
'Real Crit' referred to the three of you in succession, shoulda been more clear there but whatever.

Yeah, I'm aware that I have trouble with joints. I'll focus on them when I redo it all.

And alright, I'll reduce the number of shades.

As for balance, I could try simply changing the pose altogether. I mean, for me, it's not awkward and unnatural to do those poses; but then again being uber tall, uber skinny, hyperflexible, and already awkward in stance...

Iunno.
I've gotten that the stances aren't natural alot, so maybe it's just me. Again, I'll just redo the poses.

So at the moment it seems like:

-Too many shades
-Poor color choice
-Joint anatomy
-Realistic proportions
-Unnatural poses

Anything else?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Pillow shading all over the place? I'm not seeing a consistent light source. You should have your light source northeast instead of east or north by itself.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Suzy Bae wrote:
You should have your light source northeast instead of east or north by itself.

Hm. Most of the places I thought it was all northeast, although yeah I do see where it's inconsistent.
Iunno.
I think it got progressively worse from the first one.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Currently Playing: Let's use Daddy's Welfare Haphazardly
I thought most sprites were shaded with the sun facing northeast.

You look like crap.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:14 pm

<Na>Suliboy wrote:
<.<
<Na>Suliboy wrote:
you better.
<Na>Suliboy wrote:
that's basically all there's to it.
<Na>Suliboy wrote:
i take it as a confession, cough, plagiarism, cough...
<Na>Suliboy wrote:

Good, because i was planning to insult you <.<
I dunno why, but i felt like i should.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 am

<Na>Suliboy wrote:
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

Miyuki looks cool.

Also, those "Game Pictures" (Squared, with face) look awkward in a way...

Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
I think your biggest problems are proportion (and everything that goes with it. Stance, etc.) and palette. The palettes you choose are more often than not dull. Try to brighten it up. The next darkest shade doesn't always have to be the saturation lowered a bit. Also, in sprites that small, less is more. In sprites of any size, -less is more-. Hell, your sprite style here has more shades that -BB- style, which is sort of a big thing. Try to lower the amount of shades too. I think at the very most you should have 3-4. Right now you have 5-6, which is -overkill-. Like suzy said, three shades for the eye?

And another thing, going back to proportion, I noticed that's always been a big issue. Look at that one emo character I don't remember the name too. He has no shoulders. Men always have some sort of shoulder, even if they are wimpy and skinny. I think your major joints are the major issue. Elbows and knees. They tend to get majorly out of proportion on your major motion animation.

tl;dr brighter palette, proportions, shades

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:39 am

-Made head smaller
-reduced number of shades alot
-moved shading more north-east
-fixed some of the limb angles and proportions
-color palette +saturation +brightness +contrast

Any better?

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 am

<Na>Suliboy wrote:
-Made head smaller
-reduced number of shades alot
-moved shading more north-east
-fixed some of the limb angles and proportions
-color palette +saturation +brightness +contrast

Any better?
[ Image ]

the shading is notably better, however the hair looks awful, or is it supposed to be that way?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:13 pm

You are still overusing colors. You still shaded the eyes with 3 shades. 2 of your ramps still have 5 shades.

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:05 am

Update, Tsuna side special and Nero animation.

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:36 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
O.O wow probably the best things I've seen from you!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:42 pm
 [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next