The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:25 pm

[ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Genesis Project: World Building 

I like the idea of just having humans with different features. I feel that if we went that route, though, one's appearance would have to depend on what cultural group they came from. Basically, there would be races but they're all human is what I'm thinking. Like Earth, only way more pronounced.

Depending on how it was handled, everyone could still pretty much make their characters look however they wanted, that particular set of traits would just have to be made into a new race, or made to fit one that already exists.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:56 am
Site Admin

Again, I agree with LG.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 am

I feel like that's what typical fantasy races are anyways, since they can all breed with each other with no problems.

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
I would prefer to see some more exotic sentient species in the world, personally. I like my elves and dwarves as much as the next guy, but it would be neat to play as a plant.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:34 pm
Site Moderator

Perhaps when we get around to creating a second continent we could mix in more diverse races?

Also, just as a quick example:

I quickly generate basic climates and then highlighted them to make them easier to understand. This was all done in a fairly random fashion so it doesn't really reflect any personal views.

To my understanding

Yellow - Desert
Brown - Schrubland
Dark Green - Tropical
Light green - Assorted grasslands and temperate areas (Longer summers and springs)
off green/teal - Colder climate (Relatively even seasons)
Bluish - Frigid climates (Much more snow, longer winters)

This is just an example and I really haven't bothered to do it with the other map, but if you have any ideas/are looking for particular biomes let it be known now.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm
Site Admin

The only thing missing is a chain or two of mountains and it'll be perfect.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 am

Well, this only has climates so far. He hasn't put in any geographical features yet, so forests, jungles, mountains, rivers, etc. would still need to be added.

That said, several things bother me about this distribution. Now from what you said, it sounds like you used some sort of software to generate the climates. I'm sure you intend to add more detail later on, but here are a few large things that immediately stick out to me. First, that desert is really tiny. Deserts are cool, figuratively speaking, and I think it would be good to have a larger one. In all, you only have six climates, which makes it seem very odd that one of them is devoted entirely to shrublands, which is very specific while the rest are at least somewhat general. That's my final problem, the climates are far too general. It's fine for right now, but when you go in to finalize, I would suggest looking at the Köppen climate classification system to really flesh it out.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 am

That climate map means that this continent is close to north America's size vertically, doesn't it? I've just been assuming that this was going to be a smaller continent, for no reason at all. How big is it supposed to be?

With a smile I'm flowin'
And if I be trollin'
Ya never be knowin'
'Cause when the haters get goin'
My eyes just start a-rollin'

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:37 am
Site Moderator

Live Grenade wrote:
Well, this only has climates so far. He hasn't put in any geographical features yet, so forests, jungles, mountains, rivers, etc. would still need to be added.

That said, several things bother me about this distribution. Now from what you said, it sounds like you used some sort of software to generate the climates. I'm sure you intend to add more detail later on, but here are a few large things that immediately stick out to me. First, that desert is really tiny. Deserts are cool, figuratively speaking, and I think it would be good to have a larger one. In all, you only have six climates, which makes it seem very odd that one of them is devoted entirely to shrublands, which is very specific while the rest are at least somewhat general. That's my final problem, the climates are far too general. It's fine for right now, but when you go in to finalize, I would suggest looking at the Köppen climate classification system to really flesh it out.

In the original generation the shrublands was clumped together with the singular desert as arid lands. I simply divided the two as most major deserts in the world are bordered by what could considered shrublands, and even then 'shrubland' is a hugely unspecific term. I see your point though and yes when the general climate areas are finalized I will be putting quite a bit more detail into what everything actually is.

As far as the size of the continent is concerned, I generated this map with a vertical and horizontal length of about 2,300kms. If this is too big or too small we can work that out now.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Currently Playing: Mandolin
My nitpick is that the desert is too small, too concentrated at the tip, it should be bigger and also go further inland.

The jungle on the right side of the landmass is a bit arbitrary, I can understand the part near the water is dense, but the southern part the more inland section next to the meadow/grasslands is just there.

Also I'll draw some mountain ideas in later this week when I get the chance.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 am
Site Moderator

Welp since no one is really pitching ideas I took five minutes and scribbled some mountains, little rivers, and general terrain under the original auto-generation.

Edit: When I say five minutes, I mean five minutes. This is incredibly sloppy and was drawn in an attempt to get some actual feed back about general terrain, climates, rivers/bodies of water etc.

Also I don't care about ocean depth, but if someone does I can draw accurate depth maps.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Waifu: I'm married
Just the terrain gave me an idea for a character!
Good work

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm
YIM WWW

Currently Playing: Mandolin
Ichigo wrote:
Welp since no one is really pitching ideas I took five minutes and scribbled some mountains, little rivers, and general terrain under the original auto-generation.

Edit: When I say five minutes, I mean five minutes. This is incredibly sloppy and was drawn in an attempt to get some actual feed back about general terrain, climates, rivers/bodies of water etc.

Also I don't care about ocean depth, but if someone does I can draw accurate depth maps.

[ Image ]

Where's the giant mountain range down the center of the continent we talked about? It looks kinda puny compared to what I expected.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 am
Site Moderator

Whimzer wrote:
Ichigo wrote:

[ Image ]

Where's the giant mountain range down the center of the continent we talked about? It looks kinda puny compared to what I expected.

None of that should be considered final nor would I want it to be. This was drawn hastily in an attempt to get people to actually give ideas on where they wanted geographical features and biomes

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:05 am
Site Admin

In regards to the whole desert thing, you could technically extend the desert by adding a mountain chain and cause a rain shadow effect.

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 am
 [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next