The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:07 pm

[ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next
Album a day in February -- with MG! 

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
cool stuff kp c:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:32 pm

Okay here we go! To start off my month I've chosen The Subway's first studio album, Young For Eternity.

What to say? The album right off the bat starts off really f*** well, with I want to hear what you have got to say. A nice acoustic intro and a catchy vocal melody then BAM, the entire band kicks in and I just can't help but move to the beat, yo. This track just gets better as it goes on too, nothing bad to say. Female vox come in the third verse from the bassist and no one can complain, ever. I love it.
After that it makes good use of the mood the first track left with something a tad heavier but just as catchy and pleasing to the earholes with 'Holiday'. This track is Punk-ish, the chorus has a nice falsetto bg vocal going on as the band kinda slows down but it's still hella energetic and very kickass. SO FAR SO GOOD.
Next is 'Rock & Rock Queen'. This is actually the song I came to know them for, in the film "Rocknrolla". Ever watched it? Remember that scene where the dude shanks the other dude in the throat with a pencil? Yeah. Pretty simple track, but simple does not mean bad, oh ho ho.. not at all. Fun fact: I used to play this song with my old cover band, never failed to entertain. Not much to say other than; this is pretty damn Rock & Roll. MAGIC BABY.

Well I could do this for every single track but I'd have a wall of text nobody would read, so.. The album is fantastic, all the songs vary in formula just enough to keep you interested but all have that kick that makes you wanna dance like an idiot these guys also pull off being poppy enough to be liked by non-rockers and heavy enough to be enjoyed by those who are rockers. At least, in my opinion.
My rating would be.. jeez, I don't know. Let's say 8/10 just because it really managed to pick me up despite me being kinda upset. c:

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 pm

MGN Username: blossom
Lüna wrote:
Well I could do this for every single track but I'd have a wall of text nobody would read

i would totally read your walls of text(or anybodys!)

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:19 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
good to see everybody enjoys their first album! good job dudes, looking forward to continuing tomorrow :~)

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 pm
Site Moderator

my headphones broke early last month and I assumed I'd have new ones by now, but I don't

so I might be a little late in participating

: (

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:53 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
#2 - MF DOOM - MM.. Food
Hip Hop

medium length write up: show
As I said earlier in the thread, my attempts to get into DOOM usually resulted in a resounding "meh". Wasn't big on Operation Doomsday or Madvillainy (!!!!), but I still decided to give MM.. Food a listen because it seemed like every person who wasn't me thought DOOM was jesus in rapper form. I have to say, after listening to this album... I still kind of feel the same way.

(but i guess luke did tell me that this album isn't much different from the other two i mentioned)

I'm not saying this is a bad album. It's good, but that's about all it is.
My main issue with the album is the amount of "wasted time", I guess. Be it the extended sample at the beginning of Beef Rapp, or the four skit run of Poo-Putt Platter, Fillet-O-Rapper, Gumbo, and Fig Leaf Bi-Carbonate, there's a lot of spots where nothing is really happening. A beat will ride on for another minute, a sample will carry on for too long, etc.
I can see why the skits are there, though. With 15 tracks (including skits) clocking in at 48 minutes, this album is a decent length. If all 15 were full length tracks, it could drag on after a while but even then I would have preferred it. These skits take up about 6 1/2 minutes of the album's runtime (granted, Fig Leaf Bi-Carbonate plays out more like an extended beat than a skit) which might not be too bad if they were spaced out instead of one after another. They all lead into eachother, though, which is kind of neat.

With that out of the way (wow i spent a lot of time talking about something really f*** insignificant), the actual meat of the album is fine. Each track has a pretty solid beat (especially album highlight Potholderz), and DOOM is a fine MC. But nothing really stands out to me. Oh sure, there's some funny lines like "These old things, about to throw them away; With the gold rings that make em don't fit like OJ", but all that got from me is a little "heh. okay". It's not really something I'll remember later.

There are some choice cuts here, the previously mentioned Potholderz being one, and Rapp Snitch Knishes being the other. Knishes is easily my favourite track, mostly because Mr. Fantastik's laid back flow goes together so well with the beat that he manages to lay down the best verse of the album. DOOM's verse on this track is fine, too.
Guinnesses almost made the cut for best track. I thought it was really cool that DOOM decided to sit out on this track and instead have guest rapper Angelika take centre stage. The only thing bringing this down is a, quite frankly, terrible hook. I'll leave the link here for you to check out if you want.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no doubting that DOOM is skilled, and I can definitely see WHY people enjoy his music so much, but I dunno. He just doesn't do anything for me.
Overall: 5-6/10. It's fine. I probably have dumb reasons for rating it that, but whatever. I won't be adding it to my main library, but I actually do recommend it to fans of hip hop. Odds are you'll like it and call me crazy.

feel free to tell my how wrong i am etc but i really can't write anything better and i've never been that great at writing anyway!

edit: also i would comment on your guys' albums and stuff but i usually go to bed after posting mine because i need to sleep SOME time. maybe on a day off i'll get around to it

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:43 am
Site Moderator

you're not alone

Doom is hip hop for people too afraid to be challenged or moved by hip hop. safe as safe gets. a load of pseudointellectual nothing

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:28 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
Esper wrote:
you're not alone

hooray!

Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:35 am

MGN Username: blossom
BT - This Binary Universe

Okay this album isn't new to me at all, it's actually my all time favourite album ever. I kinda put this in as a filler album so I didn't have to get another new album.

So this album consists of 7 tracks over 73 minutes. Each track is beautiful. Every track is it's own personal adventure. They all progress wonderfully. The tracks start out quiet and pretty, and end up becoming really powerful sounding tracks. I can't pick a track I like most, every song has its own awesome moment that just makes me feel all bubbly inside. I could write endless positive things but no not today.

If you like ambient stuff or glitch or ~long beautiful songs~ listen to like any track! Ambient build ups into strong orchestral powwwwwwwwwwwwwerful music.
10/10 album from me

oh btw the album has a dvd version with really cool videos, this ones the best imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGwlEJTjc4

now I gotta go get a coffee and head to work, looking forward to see you guys' posts today!!

Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:25 am

Second album!; Art by Numbers - Reticence: The Musical. requested by term :)

Great album, all these songs really pumped me up. Hype progressive metal masterpieces that combine not only progressive metal, but also classical-ish stuff
And I like how sometimes the pace suddenly flows into good catchy piano/gutar melodies after some heavy gutar and drum play

The classical influence returns again on my fav track of the album ''Au Revoir'' which is a track filled with so much beauty, was really amazed. Beginning with soft piano and violin work, drums slowly begin to come in, and soon after the guitar comes in with full force and just creates a massive tune.

btw was not really paying much attention to the lyrics, or the vocals at all, I often tend to focus more on the instruments and the melodies and such.

8/10 would def recomment if you're into melodic stuff and progressive metal. Their first track "Delusions of Grandeur"will give a damn good idea of how the album will sound if you want to pick it up

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:30 am

Esper wrote:
you're not alone

Doom is hip hop for people too afraid to be challenged or moved by hip hop. safe as safe gets. a load of pseudointellectual nothing

this is kinda true, for me i heard dangerdoom and it was pretty cool for the while, then i got into more hip-hop and i pretty much abandoned the record after going back to it to try it out, i wouldn't say doom is just a safeguard, though, he is a decent mc and a good gateway artist, but yeah not really something to revere as some god amongst rappers
Auraka wrote:
Second album!; Art by Numbers - Reticence: The Musical. requested by term :)

Oh man, I love this record so much, but pay attention to the vocals! one of the nicest voices out there!

blossom wrote:
BT - This Binary Universe

Okay this album isn't new to me at all, it's actually my all time favourite album ever. I kinda put this in as a filler album so I didn't have to get another new album.

So this album consists of 7 tracks over 73 minutes. Each track is beautiful. Every track is it's own personal adventure. They all progress wonderfully. The tracks start out quiet and pretty, and end up becoming really powerful sounding tracks. I can't pick a track I like most, every song has its own awesome moment that just makes me feel all bubbly inside. I could write endless positive things but no not today.

If you like ambient stuff or glitch or ~long beautiful songs~ listen to like any track! Ambient build ups into strong orchestral powwwwwwwwwwwwwerful music.
10/10 album from me

oh btw the album has a dvd version with really cool videos, this ones the best imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDGwlEJTjc4

now I gotta go get a coffee and head to work, looking forward to see you guys' posts today!!

BT sounds great to me on paper, but for some reason I've never enjoyed any of his stuff :c maybe I'll revisit him sometime....

also like blossom I'm going to go get some coffee, I'll be back with my review of... HOSPICE

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Auraka wrote:
btw was not really paying much attention to the lyrics, or the vocals at all, I often tend to focus more on the instruments and the melodies and such.
I don't put a whole lot of stock into lyrics either, but I will say their vocalist is a pretty powerful dude. It's a great album through and through though, glad you enjoyed it :colonthree:

That BT track sounded really nice, too. Making a note of that.

Today:
Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Preview: Dissolved Girl (or Black Milk if that's cheating, since Luke's preview was Dissolved Girl)

I have listened to this album but I am no closer to understanding what Trip-Hop is. I asked my mom but she doesn't know either.

I find it hard to kind of describe this album, or what it is exactly I like about it. It's dark, fairly passive, it has a really strong atmosphere. I added it on Luke's recommendation and I am definitely not disappointed. I will say from Dissolved Girl I expected female vocals -- but the album has parts from several people of both genders. I really prefer female voices, so in many cases those tracks tended to stand out to me more. I did catch myself thinking some of the male vocals would've sounded better performed by one of the ladies instead. I think that despite how much I like the song itself the vocals on "Man Next Door" are kinda bad, y'know?

The whole album has a really "nice" atmosphere (although that word doesn't feel quite right), and a consistently nice groove. I get the feeling it's not really a "first listen" kind of album in that it's kind of a lot to take in -- but I'm definitely really interested in it. This is something I'll be spinning a few more times to try and get a grasp on it (if that makes sense)

Rating: Good!

(I think rather than reuploading my calendar every day I'm just gonna do it like every week or so)

Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:34 am

Waifu: I'm married
Nixter wrote:
cool stuff kp c:

thanks nix C:

Opeth - Morningrise
I don't think I've ever listened to the three oldest Opeth albums in full, so that's what I decided I'd do for the next few days.
1. Advent - The first thing I noticed was how different Mikael Akerfeldt's growls sound in this album. So old school. <3 The bass work in this song is great, I hope that continues throughout the album. The acoustic sections sound like they were recorded right out of a coffee shop.
2. The Night and the Silent Water - This song is pretty chill, great to have on in the background while I play Pokemon. The acoustic part at 7:40 makes my heart stir.
3. Nectar - I love this bassline. It is the best bassline. And it's all I can hear, really, thanks to these headphones. I think I heard a little piano section but it was hard to pick out amongst the BASS. Not all of the segments of this song are good, though. A lot of the guitar work is boring, but it gets cool towards the end.
4. Black Rose Immortal - 20 minutes? Sounds like Opeth to me. Really intense. Changes time signature about every 1 1/2 minutes. Guitar solo at 8:15 would be right at home on My Arms, Your Hearse or Deliverance. Right afterwards is this little vocal solo and then (i think) a violin part. This album would actually be a lot better if the cool bits were longer, nothing sticks around long enough for you to really get a feel for things. Take, for example, the violin part I mentioned. It was about five seconds long. Still, the parts themselves are cool. I'd say this is the best song from the album so far.
5. To Bid You Farewell - This is the only song on the album that I was familiar with before. I've always liked the acoustic intro. This is what this album SHOULD sound like. Sadly, most of it does not.

7/10

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:50 pm
YIM WWW

The Antlers - Hospice

Well... This album impacted me pretty hard, and I'll tell you why. The Antlers are a post-rock/indie rock band from New York, and this is the first record I'm hearing from them, Term showed me these guys so I picked this album due to his recommendation, so, enough about that, lets get to the review!

This album happens to be a concept album, a story of the relationship of a hospice worker (so someone who works for terminally ill people) and a woman who has a terminal bone cancer disease, and it dives into the melancholy and problems this situation arises for the two. Damn. The album is very depressive, the intro presents itself and you already know that you're going to have your eyes water at the very least by the end of the record, this record is lush, detailed, ambitious, self-reflective, and very touching; from the instrumentation of strummed acoustic guitar, the soft, minor chords of the piano to the twinkling electronics that appear and disappear like fireflies to the strings that stick to you, and of course the soft spoken words of the singer, this album weaves between long, droning notes to more active indie rock, you almost feel like the album itself is ill and can only do so much before it has to go back to resting, deep stuff indeed. This album itself is fairly easy on the ears, save a few moments, the track Atrophy goes into such a humming, droning noise-fest, the emotional and aural intensity it gives puts anyone in a stasis, it flurries around with bells as it wanes, draining you of your energy, then coming back with some acoustic guitar then goes into one of my favourite tracks: Bear a good single from this album, and one of the more lighter song, it's a nice boost and lets you get ready for the rest of the album, the least favourite track here for me is Two. Mainly for it's repeated acoustic guitar riff that goes on and on, it's not interesting, it's kind of annoying, the track itself is 4 seconds shy of being 6 minutes, and it kind of overstays it's welcome. The rest of the album is much more self-aware and even the more slow songs like Thirteen know not to drag on and throw in some diversions. Finally, I'd like to say the lyrical content is something to be looked into, the lyrics are very, very painful and full of sorrow, they cut deep, and a lot of them can probably be reflected into your own life, it's poetry, very good stuff.

I rate this album an 8/10; should you be looking into this album, listen to it from start to finish, hence why I only put one single as a link, I urge you to check out this record if you like acoustic/folk music, post-rock, concept albums, or even looking into the more involving sides of indie rock.

Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:11 pm
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
I've been much too busy between work, school, working out, running errands for the family, and other work to write up anything lengthy about what I've listened to, but I really enjoyed Invention by Daedelus. It felt very original and unique, and loved all the different forms of sampling, and the jazzy-clickity-clacks. Was kinda skeptical during the first two tracks but picked up afterwards.

Probably like a 7/10!

As for Mezzanine by Massive Attack: I thought this was straight up baller. From the Trip-hop abstractness, to the Industrial heaviness, and to the Downtempo scuzzy lo-fi samples, I really loved this thing the whole way through. I'll definitely come back to this one in the future.

9/10

Wish I could put some more time and effort into these summaries but I'm honestly exhausted after writing even this much, but I'll try to keep you guys updated, love y'all c:

Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:19 pm
 [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next