The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 10:51 am

[ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next
Best Players to Learn From For Each Character 
BR Member

MGN Username: joey
Currently Playing: joey
Waifu: joey
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Afro took it upon himself to make an example of how to use him, and did a pretty good job with doing so. Where did that statement even come from?

Sun May 10, 2015 2:52 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Mr.Z wrote:
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Afro took it upon himself to make an example of how to use him, and did a pretty good job with doing so. Where did that statement even come from?

"How to use Sora properly" strongly implies that nobody who mains him knows how to use him. Whilst I am not saying Afro is bad, cause he's bloody good, you're basically saying that no Sora main is actually:
A. Using him properly
B. Actually any good with him.

Also, the way you say "took it upon himself" makes it seems like he's saying "well if nobody else will do it, I will", again, insulting the skill of the other Sora mains.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Sun May 10, 2015 2:59 pm

MGN Username: AfroWarrior
You're misreading the intention. My purpose in having that was after suggestion that his meta hadn't been fully explored. Me and Fedora spent a day or two studying the character and all his flaws and strengths. Granted no that's not near enough time to fully explore a character, as I've played Sonic since forever and still feel like the character has untapped potential, but the video was primarily meant to showcase how I feel the characters meta will adapt to.

I'm not planning on maining Sora nor do I want to, but I feel as if that's the way the character can be played at a high level. It's the equivalent of me saying "Oh so the best Sora spams up b. Well here's another way to play besides that. Take it or leave it."

EDIT: And no its not meant as shots. Remember the purpose of this thread is meant to be a guideline for players to learn how to play a character. If someone is spamming and it's all around punishable then no, that's the type of behavior we want to avoid. It's not a hall of fame guys.

I have ran over a thousand miles
Unknown to Community, nor known to the World
Have withstood pain to perfect my technique
Yet this speed will never be remembered
My whole life was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mains: :sonic: :bomberman:

Sun May 10, 2015 3:15 pm

MGN Username: Lite2Key
Currently Playing: SSF2, M.U.G.E.N., One Piece A-Edition
CSWooly wrote:
Mr.Z wrote:

Also, the way you say "took it upon himself" makes it seems like he's saying "well if nobody else will do it, I will", again, insulting the skill of the other Sora mains.

I'm pretty sure that by "took it upon himself to make an example" he means the act of afro posting a replay here.

Sun May 10, 2015 3:19 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
There aren't many Sora mains who spam Up-B. Though, I noticed your Sora was very quick and did mixup moves, which others fail to do.

Also, I apologise for my c***, but in fairness, combining it with Z's prior posts made it seem different.

PS - Add U-Smash to the list of spams :)

Also, lemme take a look at what Afro said:
AfroWarrior wrote:
UP B is fantastic both as a movement option and a combo extender. Neutral B is good for edgeguards and combo extending. Side B is good when unexpected and can be angled downwards for a pseudo-wavedash. Down B is amazing when you have the timing down for it. All of Sora's moves are fast and you're basically guaranteed to get a 5-10 hit combo as soon as you hit once.

Neutral B is actually really telegraphed and pretty easy to punish if it misses, however it is good at higher percents to lead into the Up Smash, as demonstrated.
Up-B is good for starting/continuing combos, but you wanna aim it towards the stage, otherwise you could have a mishap.
Side-B's pseudo wavedash goes as far as BMs. Considering the startup, it's not to useful, however cancelling an attack to the flowdash is better.
I'm surprised there was no mention of Down-B's momentum cancel abilities, this thing is actually really good for guard breaks and recovery. If all else fails, it's a good finisher.

Sun May 10, 2015 3:20 pm

MGN Username: Appley
Currently Playing: SSF2, Earthbound, and some old DS relics
Up-smash spam, huh? This is seeming like salt more than anything considering that upsmash is one of sora's only kill moves. Just my opinion anyway.

Mains: :ness:

Last edited by Appley on Sun May 10, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 10, 2015 7:08 pm
BR Member

Appley wrote:
Up-smash spam, huh? This is seeming like salt more than anything considering that upsmash is one sora's only kill moves. Just my opinion anyway.

You could say that, but using U-Smash repeatedly at low % is the worst idea with Sora. His KO moves need to be fresh.

Sun May 10, 2015 7:39 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
The move is, however, IMO hands-down the best anti-air in the game, so it becomes abusable against opponents that don't know how to get around it.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun May 10, 2015 9:51 pm
BR Member

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
The move is, however, IMO hands-down the best anti-air in the game, so it becomes abusable against opponents that don't know how to get around it.

You make a valid point, but you also have to consider that it's one of Sora's most reliable finishers, and that it won't kill Mario on DL until 140%. I personally believe abusing it, whilst effective, is not in the players best interests as it leaves Sora with less KO options than he had before, which is already low. But you do make a valid point.

Mon May 11, 2015 2:17 am

MGN Username: Appley
Currently Playing: SSF2, Earthbound, and some old DS relics
Its wind-box can be pretty nasty. I bet (if not already) it could be used in some tricky way

Mains: :ness:

Mon May 11, 2015 6:42 am
BR Member

Appley wrote:
Its wind-box can be pretty nasty. I bet (if not already) it could be used in some tricky way

You can gimp people with it if they miss their recovery, although it's hard.
You can also use it to impede aerial approaches from above.

Side note - I'm now trying to tidy up the Sora metagame. If you wanna help with matchups, great, PM me. If not, I don't mind. Frankly whether I'm on the list now is irrelevant because I need to now start fixing this "non-existent" meta and learn "how to play him properly". If you don't like it, that's fine, but I'm gonna be doing this from now.

Mon May 11, 2015 7:40 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Oh sorry, I bumped into the Sora character thread by mistake. Was looking for the TBCTLF thread.

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am
BR Member

Suli Hyuga wrote:
Oh sorry, I bumped into the Sora character thread by mistake. Was looking for the TBCTLF thread.

Yeah, I think we went a bit off topic.

Evidence.zip coming soon It's here, looks like I'm banned from all swedish tournaments

Last edited by TSF.Strife on Mon May 11, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon May 11, 2015 10:24 am

MGN Username: MMLegends
Currently Playing: SSF2
CSWooly wrote:
Appley wrote:

You can gimp people with it if they miss their recovery, although it's hard.
You can also use it to impede aerial approaches from above.

Side note - I'm now trying to tidy up the Sora metagame. If you wanna help with matchups, great, PM me. If not, I don't mind. Frankly whether I'm on the list now is irrelevant because I need to now start fixing this "non-existent" meta and learn "how to play him properly". If you don't like it, that's fine, but I'm gonna be doing this from now.

So this discussion is finished good....i will help u with sora meta as These posts has both been discouraging and disrespectful...just bcuz i like sora and care bout him...

:naruto:
Watch MM doing stage spike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ypav_if2-A

Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
Ok hollup wait I think you misunderstood somethings.

>thanks for the s****.
I won't deny this, Wooly is a good Sora player. BUT, he told me he played vs Kyoz and Skailler for footage proof. It seems he hasn't uploaded all his ssfrecs like he said he would. Go ahead and watch the recording, it does show his skill, but keep in mind that out of the 3 games we played, the was the only one he won. I still think he should be on the list but only uploading one close victory kinda puts me off that idea to be honest.

>Wooly vs Suli (I beat him!).ssfrec
Kinda feel ripped off that you highlighted the fact that you won this single match when we played 3. W/e, upload what you want, but you don't have to post up that you beat me in the title lol.

Also: I am only saying he should be on the list because I see him as a good player. On top of that, he is the only Sora player I've played against. Don't take solely my word for it. If other people argue here against it and suggest someone else, you should probably take their word for it and not mine.

To Wooly: Your post seemed quite childish and could have been handled in a much more professional manner. This list isn't a hall of fame, it's a list of the best players to learn from. People's names who are on there are people who are seen as good advisors as well as players. To be a good advisor, you need to handle things more professionally and with a bit more maturity ('I beat him!' is not very mature). Knowledge and skill isn't enough for this list. Aslong as you change how you handle things, I still think you have a solid chance of being on the list :)

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Mon May 11, 2015 12:35 pm
 [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 23  Next