The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:06 pm

[ 12 posts ] 
Chiptune General 

Currently Playing: Apple
Waifu: Apple
Hey guys i've been listening to a lot of Chiptune and thought why not make a topic about it in case anyone else wanted to talk about Chiptune also.
(VGM also
-----------------------------

SNESology (Assorted Super Nintendo Instruments) ( i have no idea what's wrong with the SC player it hasn't worked on any site in months...help)

to get Started i'm gonna share one of my favorite songs Snesology. it's part of an entire Album that goes by the same name (which can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/shnabubula/sets/snesology)

it's made by Shnabubula one of my favorite Artists i recommend just about all of his stuff.

------------------------------

Dressed To Drill [Drill Dozer]

a Little Ditty by Zackery Wilson that is really good

Sunrise to Sunset

a song by Jayster_ that i have listened to for hours

obviously some of the best sites to find Chiptune are YouTube, Soundcloud, and Ocremix. But there is another site that is home to basically nothing but Chiptune.
http://battleofthebits.org/ - This site is home to various Chiptune & more Tournaments so it has a lot of good stuff. if you ever have time i recommend checking it out.

there are a lot of Artist & songs i want to link to but if i did this post would be too long so i'll hold off a bit

if any of you have or find any songs you would like to post drop on in here.

I AM APPLE

Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 pm

MGN Username: ;Danny;
Currently Playing: Poker
Waifu: Gwyndolin
After all this time I still find myself listening to this one every now and then.
YouTube Video:

Chiptune in general is lit af.

Pochiman wrote:
Frank stretches his dick to the other side and asks his son to grab it. Then he ties his balls into a rock, and after that he cuts off his dick with his knife. Then he crosses by his dick.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:00 pm

That is probably my favorite song in that game next to the Tinker Knight one before the giant robot battle

Jake Kaufman does a great job with just about every song he makes.
The Mega Mermaid - This one is a just for fun song he made but damn i like it too much.

YouTube Video:
the remix album he made for NecroDancer is awesome as well

-----------------

Blast Processor - a Megadrive/Genesis inspired Album by Toni Leys that is really Good
Procrastinator Elevator is my favorite song in this album mostly because i like calm chiptune songs or ones with Tropical feel they just make me feel all happy ( might be the Outrun love talking)

-----------------

Preschtale - an outstanding Album by C-Jeff i have listened So many times i love it.
Especially Part 2 i have listened to this song specifically almost too much. i always wanted to play it during the Plug.DJ times but the 10 minute song limit.
the part of that Part 2 that starts at 5:06 for me is just awesome
and 8:15 point i love that song so much. (i wish i knew enough Music lingo to say the specific name of these kind of parts to a song)

I AM APPLE

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:17 pm
Site Moderator

not deep into chiptune / video game music but i'll post my usual rotation. would be nice to have a decent productive VGM thread here

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

everyone knows and reveres tim follin. a composer who could work on both fart-chips like the genesis and crown jewels like the c64 and create works of equal harmonic density and tunefulness. he proved that a prog rock piece sans the bells and whistles of live instrumentation could outplay a whole band

it's interesting to note that his masterpieces mainly came from forgotten piles which are universally overshadowed by his scores. must cause a certain bit of hubris as a composer to know your commission outshines the work it accompanies, but i assume he's pretty humble about it

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

i'm sure most of us here would agree that most pokemon games have wonderful OSTs but the spinoffs are something else.

junichi masuda is a respectable composer in his own right, don't get me wrong. anyone in the target audience for gen 3 can tell you that much. however his propensity for annoying tasteless instrumentation (gba trumpet abuse, midi guitars, gen 5 kick dance beat on everything) kicks him down a notch below the 3rd party/b-team nobodies who worked on games like those aforementioned. also his best contribution is still putting the thing in where you can miscegenate pokemon from cartridges in different countries and get a shiny quicker

YouTube Video:

smt nocturne, also known as: my favourite game i can't be arsed to beat. i like to joke about shoji meguro as the slayer of video game composers in that he likes to write variations on the same formula that work beautifully every time. also certain tracks in nocturne were composed so that the game could draw from a random library of guitar solos and they would all work interchangeably. this is also very slayer-esque. however unlike meguro, slayer still hasn't written any catchy jpop tunes with rapping in them. you're gonna have to look to marty friedman of megadeth for that.

YouTube Video:

streets of rage 2 is a best-selling sega genesis game from 1992 with music that might not sound terribly out of place in a club from that time period. definitely the most underappreciated of the retro game OSTs that everyone and their mom remembers

YouTube Video:

also battle garegga

Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Surprisingly i haven't heard any of Tim Follin's music but now that i looked him up i'm loving his stuff thanks for that
YouTube Video:

i really took a liking to this song.
------
Most of my favorite Pokemon songs are actually made by Go Ichinose instead of Masuda.
YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

His Music in Pokemon Pinball is some of my favorite music in the Pokemon Franchise
------
i never really got to play the mystery dungeon series much so i don't know a lot of songs but the ones i have heard i liked
YouTube Video:

------
i'm not familiar with just about any Shin Megami Tensei music i'm trying to get more into the series so maybe i'll find something i like eventually.
------
Streets of Rage series Definitely Has some really Great music
YouTube Video:

-----
i don't know what Battle Garegga is but i am loving this song.

-------------
Listening to Streets of Rage Music got me in the mood for some Sega music
YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Some E-swat Genesis this game had some really great musical gems in it.

YouTube Video:

The Master system E-Swat game's music is really great i would say even better than the Genesis version Tarnya did great job on the Music & Arrangements for this game

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Tarnya(Chikako Kamatani) has in general made som really Good Master System songs and arrangements

I AM APPLE

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
I don't really listen to much chiptune, but one of the artists I listen to who primarily does IDM also often does a lot of heavily chiptune inspired stuff (usually mixed with IDM, of course).

There's a few that I really like, here's some of them. I don't have too much to say about them as far as chiptune goes, because as I said I don't listen to it much.

Karsts & Gours

Lvl Cap

Teleporter

Cold Coffee - The main reason I like this one is because of the washed out vocals that start just over 2 minutes in, which makes the song feel really open and pleasant, which completes the song for me.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:59 am

Those were really good i would say out of all of them Lvl Cap was my Favorite
---------------
Ambition - a Song that combines Chip and Vocaloids pretty well

Blue Glue Crew - just about anything using the super mario kart soundfont is gold in my book

Mutual Feelings - i love upbeat Songs like this so much and wish more Games had music like it so i could play to something nice

Anubis - It gives off a feel of a desert surfing mission imo i love it.

Dub Hut - i ain't got much to say on this one i just like it.

Ai no natsu - Jimmyoshi is really great i recommend a lot of his stuff

These are a few of my favorite songs in the Summer Chip 6 Battle if you ever get the chance i would recommend checking it out but it has 205 entries so expect a lot of time taken up.
----------------
Spring into Action

Sunny Day

Kaykay's Underwater Holiday

CrossCounter

Apollo's theme

A few Songs by Intero he makes a lot of great stuff. if you like Indie games you probably heard of CrossCode which has been on the Steam early access for a while. He's the one making the soundtrack for that game.
------------------
Cold Deck -Just a really good song i came across that i can't stop listening to.

Seasons Walk

Yasashisa Ni Tsutsumareta Nara (C64 SID COVER)
------------------
Struck by the rain - an Arrangement of Struck by the eain from Rhythm heaven using n163

SUPER-REFLEX

Escape from castle Dracula

Wind God Girl - He has a Touhou FM arrangement album

+TEK mostly Does Arrangements but they are usually always pretty great if you like more Hardcore Chiptune songs.
-------------------

Kinda just dumped a lot of songs in here ( '_J')
But that's only because there are so many good songs :jigglypuff:

I AM APPLE

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:58 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
i dunno s*** about chiptune but if we're talking VGM how come nobody mentioned Motoi Sakuraba yet. that's basically high treason

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

you might know him as the dark souls guy
YouTube Video:

Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:56 pm

I didn't know about any of his songs aside from the ones from Dark Souls ( '_J')

Really liking this Star Ocean song though.
---------------------
Chip-or-Treat - a Collaboration album a group of people did for Spook day. I have been listening to the "Virt goes to Hyrulevania" a lot over these past few days.

Playing Super Mario World While Taking Mushrooms - A good time.

Tower of Heaven -Full moon Revenge- :peach:

Behemoth - Final boss battle time

not much

Horny Jester Man's Stage

----------------------

やんちゃ坊主とお祭り騒ぎ

僕たちの旅とエピローグ。

咲かせ夏空、恋の花。

ああああ's stuff is generally pretty good if you like Happycore and generally upbeat music.

------------------------

[2A03] Crimson Blood (Castlevania: Harmony of Despair)

[2A03] An Empty Tome (Castlevania Judgment)

[2A03] Poem For Everyone's Soul (Persona 4 Arena Ultimax)

[2A03] Gallant Girl (Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late)

Suragi-0 Makes really good Arrangements from anime games.

I AM APPLE

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:45 pm

I actually just released a chiptune EP a couple of weeks ago. I submitted an application to join the Mcleodgaming dev team for music creation so hopefully they take a listen to this EP and strongly consider me joining as obviously I want to get into the music production industry and this would be a great start! Everyone else, please check out the EP and tell me what you think! Feedback will be greatly appreciated and please share this with someone else who likes chiptune music!! Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/los_angelas/sets/chroma-waves

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Refurin wrote:
I don't really listen to much chiptune, but one of the artists I listen to who primarily does IDM also often does a lot of heavily chiptune inspired stuff (usually solution crédit locataire mixed with IDM, of course).

There's a few that I really like, here's some of them. I don't have too much to say about them as far as chiptune goes, because as I said I don't listen to it much.

The main reason I like this one is because of the washed out vocals that start just over 2 minutes in, which makes the song feel really open and pleasant, which completes the song for me.

This is a good article because there are many tips and also many advices that will be very useful for me.
Thanks!

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:50 pm

[quote="losangelas"]I actually just released a chiptune EP a couple of weeks ago. I submitted an application to join the Mcleodgaming dev team for music creation so hopefully they Carton déménagement pour livre take a listen to this EP and strongly consider me joining as obviously I want to get into the music production industry and this would be a great start! Everyone else, please check out the EP and tell me what you think! Feedback will be greatly appreciated and please share this with someone else who likes chiptune music!! Here's the link:
It's not top of the bill in my eyes, but it is very close to it. I like the variety and the refreshing structure. It's very good.

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:28 am
 [ 12 posts ]