The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:52 am

[ 8 posts ] 
Online disapoints me 

hey.

i ahve been away from these forums for quite some time now.

well, i have been trying out Online for a while, and i must say, honestly... it is crap. absolute garbage. in several ways.

firstly, the community stinks. dont know about you guys, but the only people i play with, are either kirby rockers, samus rocketeers, or MK tornado spammers. they dont even attempt to learn how to play, they just go do the same thing over. and. over. again, even when it is more than obvious that you already know what they are doing and deftly avoid and counter them openly.

secondly, the ragequiting. oh, the ragequiting. 90% of the time, the oponent just runs away. you do a decent combo? RQ. he messes up and falls? RQ. but OH NO, you wouldnt DARE to ragequit, would you? they even name their rooms "no ragequit" and then leave themselves!

the online platform itself could seriously use some touch ups. i have lag in all games - in fact, so far after 9 hours total of online, only ONCE did i experience a proper smash game with low lag. having less than 0.5 seconds of lag is more than ok for me - usually, i have frame shuttering and 1,5-2 seconds of lag. this is unplayable.
it also crasehs like crazy. sometimes, it freezes completely and i am forced to Alt-F4. other times, for some reason it signs me up for a Sudden Death with a sandbag, and assuming it doesnt crashes, sends me into normal Brawl. sometimes, it also blocks keys, which for instance resulted in me dying several times because the up button got stupidly locked and i couldnt recover, or the shield never activated...

how is your online experience? am i doing something wrong? are these settings i should fix, or is something wrong with my overpowered PC?

Others claim, it is half empty.

I, personally, Claim Nothing.

Instead, i Ask:

WHO THE %&(%/))% DRANK HALF OF MY BEER??!

Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:50 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
You are doing something horrible, horrible wrong;
You are playing with randoms.
Go on Slack or the IRC for actual, organised matches.

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:04 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
probably something wrong with your pc if you have that much lag in every single game
never heard of the freezing/crashes before either

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:58 am
BR Member

Location: The wonderful world of... someplace that isn't on fire.
MGN Username: Dark Ermac
Stop playing randoms if you want a better online experience. A lot of them are from South/Central America, so if you live more towards the north or in Europe you're gonna have a bad time.

Then again, I have fought a couple of players on literally the complete opposite side of the world with passable lag, so maybe your computer is old or you're playing on the wrong stages (Drac's, Sky Sanctuary, FD).

If you want a better online experience, I suggest you go here.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:08 am

i dont think an i7 with 16GB of ram and an SSD with a GTX850M 4GB DDR3 can be considered old.

in the meantime, i figured out that MOVING and ATTACKING while in the waiting room increases lag during the match ridiculously - i found it out in the net. since i started naming my rooms "dont move in lobby", i have stopped having serious lag issues - it is still there, but more than playable - in fact i am pwning everyone since i lost lag, but you dont exactly find amazing players in random.

i'll have a look at the IRC. thanks for the tip. things are getting better by the minute!

Instead, i Ask:

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:07 pm
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
your computer is great. your connection might not be. or if your connection is good, your connection to your opponent in south america might not be. or their computer might suck. or their internet might suck.

but yeah. random players = recipe for disaster since atm there is no filtering by region or any connection strength indicator or anything. it's honestly a miracle we were able to get online working at all for 0.9b release tbh. think of this more as a beta test.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:47 pm

MGN Username: AfroWarrior
WAR-THERAPY wrote:
i dont think an i7 with 16GB of ram and an SSD with a GTX850M 4GB DDR3 can be considered old.

in the meantime, i figured out that MOVING and ATTACKING while in the waiting room increases lag during the match ridiculously - i found it out in the net. since i started naming my rooms "dont move in lobby", i have stopped having serious lag issues - it is still there, but more than playable - in fact i am pwning everyone since i lost lag, but you dont exactly find amazing players in random.

i'll have a look at the IRC. thanks for the tip. things are getting better by the minute!

Sounds like the average school computer to me.

In all seriousness though you have two choices with online

1. Random matches, which are always going to be a bad time, but you'll get a lot more of them.

2. IRC/organized matches, where you'll probably be against someone who has some degree of skill but you'll get less matches.

I also didn't know the WR lag was still a thing. Does this happen to anyone else?

I have ran over a thousand miles
Unknown to Community, nor known to the World
Have withstood pain to perfect my technique
Yet this speed will never be remembered
My whole life was Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mains: :sonic: :bomberman:

Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:32 pm

so far, things have been shaping up VERY nicely. since i stopped at all moving in the waiting room, my matches go much smoother. on the other hand, the best matches i had so far have all been in the IRC, by far.

FINALLY, i am losing to people online due to their skill, not the lag!

Instead, i Ask:

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:44 am
 [ 8 posts ]