The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:53 am

[ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Best Players to Learn From For Each Character 

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
yo fam its just a game, chill

Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:41 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Lunary wrote:
I think people would automatically nominate you if you were worthy enough.
There are reasons why my Tails for example is not on the list, or why Doqk is not here for Zelda or if M7 has never got nominated for BPtLF for Sonic( especially when you avoid fighting new f*** players. This can quite apply to me as well for now)
What you could do is just hang around, show people how "good" you are with that character and prove something

But is it really what you strive for? Just having your name on the most biased list ever? That's borderline scrubby- no that's actually one of the things wrong with the f*** wiki.)

One thing that really upsets me is how you stay passive-aggressive. If I want to be recognized as the best at one char, I wouldn't say "I would like to nominate myself as..."
That's not how you make a statement.
No I'd say "I'm the f*** best Ichigo. I'm an example for the community. I will lead people to get great with this character." If they don't agree, then prove them wrong. If you can't, then don't start a flame war but get better with that character!
THAT is how you fully deserve to be on this list.

"Best Player to Learn From" is not just a title. It's a responsibility.
It means taking in charge and inspiring players who aspires to become great with this character.

And that's why I'm kinda anxious every time I see my name especially on THAT list because my Metaknight is far from being on point.

But no, you can't think like that, right? That's why I'm most likely not going to respect anyone who "nominates" himself just for... ugh.
(And don't do what you did on Skype M7, I see you.)

Well said. There has been an influx of people self-nominating, and I have pretty much been ignoring them for this reason. If you don't mind, I'm going to quote the bolded line in the OP.

There's something else here. Realistically, one cannot main more than two characters because the amount of time required to get characters up to a respectable standard is too much for more. If one person has lots of "mains", then it means they are constantly putting in time for all of those characters to keep them to a high standard, which isn't possible. There HAS to be a large drop off in terms of the player's ability with a character if they are trying to split time over numerous characters. That's why we have secondaries, they don't/can't/aren't trained to the level that our mains are (because otherwise this would detract from training our mains) but they have to be competent.

I'm looking for players who are trying to improve their character, show good decision-making, and in the interest of giving recognition to players that have worked hard but may be superseded by players that are just all around better I explicitly avoid putting players under their secondaries' names (despite the fact that M2K's Zelda is actually good, no one recommends learning Zelda by watching M2K. You go watch Cosmo or The Lake). You know, puts in the time to learn the bad matchups (to the best of their ability), drastically shapes the way the character is played (through innovative gameplay, huge contributions to the character's development), etc. A newb can look at the player's character and feel inspired to take the character even further.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:11 pm

MGN Username: scum
I agree with Lunary on this one. I used to think this list was a representation of THE BEST MAIN's per given character who have enough experience to teach newer players. That's why I wanted my name removed until I could live up to the title. Now looking back on this I don't really care if im on the list or not. It's becoming a hall of fame kind of thing to glorify people who are good enough with characters that lack representation. If new players need help with thier mains, they should just take it to the character forums.

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:19 pm

MGN Username: Game-spidr
Currently Playing: Russian Roulette
Waifu: Spiders
Put em blast ZeRo and Dabuz level call outs
Super Salty Patao Sardine Honey match

Ichigo combo video
YouTube Video:

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:42 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Suli Hyuga
With great power, comes great responsibility - Lunary 2k15

My YouTube page! Subscribe! (Currently on hiatus)
My twitter!

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:41 am
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Called it XD

Although.

Godot wrote:
There's something else here. Realistically, one cannot main more than two characters because the amount of time required to get characters up to a respectable standard is too much for more. If one person has lots of "mains", then it means they are constantly putting in time for all of those characters to keep them to a high standard, which isn't possible. There HAS to be a large drop off in terms of the player's ability with a character if they are trying to split time over numerous characters.

I'm looking for players who are trying to improve their character, show good decision-making, and in the interest of giving recognition to players that have worked hard but may be superseded by players that are just all around better I explicitly avoid putting players under their secondaries' names

If this is the case, and one can't realistically main more than one, why are people on this list more than once? Surely you're contradicting yourself with that point, because in your sig it also said:
"Mains: Falcon, Fox"

Talk about a U-Turn.

Additionally, I've been one of the only people who is active on the Sora thread, and I'm even compiling a list of matchups with explanations for people in order to help them learn Sora. I always ask for ratings on how I play, and I even took all your advice from last time into account.

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:10 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
TSF|CSWooly wrote:
Called it XD

Although.

Godot wrote:
There's something else here. Realistically, one cannot main more than two characters because the amount of time required to get characters up to a respectable standard is too much for more. If one person has lots of "mains", then it means they are constantly putting in time for all of those characters to keep them to a high standard, which isn't possible. There HAS to be a large drop off in terms of the player's ability with a character if they are trying to split time over numerous characters.

I'm looking for players who are trying to improve their character, show good decision-making, and in the interest of giving recognition to players that have worked hard but may be superseded by players that are just all around better I explicitly avoid putting players under their secondaries' names

If this is the case, and one can't realistically main more than one, why are people on this list more than once? Surely you're contradicting yourself with that point, because in your sig it also said:
"Mains: Falcon, Fox"

Talk about a U-Turn.

Additionally, I've been one of the only people who is active on the Sora thread, and I'm even compiling a list of matchups with explanations for people in order to help them learn Sora. I always ask for ratings on how I play, and I even took all your advice from last time into account.

Hmm, I did say "more than two characters" and I believe that most would agree that it is totally possible to dual main characters, plus my sig right now doesn't say anything like that (which is what is important). I certainly don't main Fox, he might be one of my better characters but my days of truly maining Fox are behind me. He's fun to play but I solo main Falcon now. It also clearly says in the OP "Realistically, I shouldn't see anyone's name appear on this list more than twice." This is because, of course, the time required to develop a main is, in general, too much to have more than two (trying to apply the dedication to more characters means you have to spread your focus more thinly).

So, the only player who breaks this test by appearing thrice is Zalozis, and if anyone (himself included) says that he does not main any one of those characters then there is no reason to have him listed, same with if he doesn't set a good example for the character. I have to go off of community feedback on this stuff. I feel like Zalo sets a fine example for any character he plays (just by being a good player), however I didn't want good players filling up this list so I limit the selection to character mains. Prior to this list, I knew that Zalo was a Zelda but it wasn't until other players were saying that he had a really good Mario and Kirby.

If you don't think that someone who is listed here shouldn't be listed, then do speak up about that. This list is meant to be the community's perception of who sets a good example for the character, which makes them great for learning from if you want to learn that character. I try to solely be the scribe of this list, preferring to leave the judgement to the other players (I refrain from posting opinions on players here because, as the person maintaining the list, I have a bias in having the final say). I pretty much only post in here to clarify things.

I don't have any qualms about writing people up on this list so long as there is no conflict of interest. By this, I mean suggesting one's self as a good example for learning from or having fellow crewmates suggest/agree. On that last note, if I see crewmates nominating each other that is fine, but I cannot go off of just those because of bias. I need a slightly larger consensus (I look for agreement by a few players). So then, I'll ask this to the community:

Would all of you kindly take a look at the list in the OP, and then at the these players who have been suggested (CSWooly for Sora, Trickmew for Kirby, JayVoltage for Falcon, Sekanor for DK, SilverEvil(?) for Sora). Do these players set good examples for their characters? Think about the standard you want new players to learn from.

@Key2Lite If you gonna post a vid you should at least win in it lol

Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:53 am
BR Member

MGN Username: JayVoltage
Currently Playing: Rivals of Aether, Super Smasn Flash 2, Fate/Grand Order
I just wanna leave a past replay against Infamous' DK here for people to judge

Attachments:
File comment: JayVoltage (Falcon) vs. Infamous (DK)
Untitled Replay.2015-04-25.v0.9.1.1981.ssfrec [4.49 KiB]
Downloaded 32 times

Mains: :link: :falco: :sonic:
Most recent video of some of my favourite online moments. Check it out! :]

YouTube Video:

Newly acquired Servant: Minamoto no Yorimitsu NEW!
Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:02 am

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
With that in mind, if yall wanna learn some :bomberman: just hit me up with a PM, k fam? Guaranteed response over here.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Whether I'm on the list or not, I'm still gonna help people with Sora. I'm gonna see what I can do to teach people how to use all of his moveset. Nothing will change about that.
PM me if you have queries.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:25 am

Waifu: Yume
Shouldn't it be as easy as...

1.) Don't nominate yourself
2.) If you dont get nominated, then your obviously aren't as notable.

This list isn't saying "hey, if your name isn't in here, you suck."

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 am
SSF2 Developer

Talent Show wrote:

Correct. There are lots of good players, I just wanted to narrow it down for newbies who wanted to improve.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 am

Waifu: Yume
Godot wrote:
Talent Show wrote:

Correct. There are lots of good players, I just wanted to narrow it down for newbies who wanted to improve.

It's not up to us to decide aaand this is off topic, but once this list is finalized, do you think it should be put into the wiki as a learning tool, just an idea I had. Maybe have the players write up character guides, idk.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:52 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Talent Show wrote:
Godot wrote:
Talent Show wrote:

It's not up to us to decide aaand this is off topic, but once this list is finalized, do you think it should be put into the wiki as a learning tool, just an idea I had. Maybe have the players write up character guides, idk.

I doubt this list will ever be finished, the meta evolves and player dobso as well. Fir example, we all know Wooly for his "Chudat" style as Kirby, but he could come up as a legit Kirby main in a few weeks or so, bringing up the point wether he gets on the list or not. So Id say that this being fibished is even more unlikelythan me 4 stocking Lunary.

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:56 am
BR Member

SkaiPrower wrote:
Talent Show wrote:
Godot wrote:
Talent Show wrote:

I doubt this list will ever be finished, the meta evolves and player dobso as well. Fir example, we all know Wooly for his "Chudat" style as Kirby, but he could come up as a legit Kirby main in a few weeks or so, bringing up the point wether he gets on the list or not. So Id say that this being fibished is even more unlikelythan me 4 stocking Lunary.

It's not chudat, it's casual.

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:20 am
 [ 341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next