The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 10:28 pm

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Yet another idea I've been playing around with. 
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Heavy work in progress, so hush and just tell me what stupid mistakes I've made or the things that I should include as soon as possible.

So, the very basis of the RP would be that you'd play the entire composition of a dungeon, castle or secret hideout, attempting to outlive the endless onslaught of heroes attempting to loot it and/or kill your "leader", bios would be limited, the only "experience" would be player-wide, letting you pick better and stronger monsters/minions to fight with as you gain levels, with the player with the most experience getting the choice of becoming the boss monster.(should he refuse, the second in line will get the offer, etc etc)

Bios would be non-existant, as you would not be playing a character created by you, but a preset unit in terms of (a vague) appearance, as well as skills and statistics, but naturally you are allowed to expand upon the character as you wish. Give him a facial tick, a list of likes and dislikes, things like that! Your character will not gain levels, but you will, and each level unlocks one or multiple other creatures for you to play as.

Combat will be mostly freeform, you won't be simply standing around taking swipes at one another, but instead combat will be allowed to flow. When an attack is launched, I will use your units' stats to see who comes out victorious. Does your attack hit? If yes, where does it hit? And how powerful is it? Which brings me to the next point. There is no HP in this RP. When a small imp scores a hit on a heavily armored target, the enemy might not even feel it. But if an ogre punches a mage, you can bet your a** that the poor hero will have broken several ribs, snapped his neck and shattered his casting arm, so I doubt he would be getting up. This forces both the players and the enemy to adapt as they might lose use of some parts of their body. For example, have you ever tried to shoot a bow without depth perceptions? As such, an archer with one eye cut out would be severely disadvantaged.

The game will be divided into two stages, the wave based assault stage, and the "roleplaying" stage. These are stages only in name, as there will never be any great announcement that one has ended and the other has begun. This is further assisted by the fact that you are only made aware of heroes in the base when someone spots them(which happens automatically when they're in the same room as the heroes). This means that you have to consider the two stages to be one, always be on your guard, and prepare for an attack from any location. While at first, the heroes will gladly throw themselves at the main entrance of the dungeon, later and further into the RP, they will discover new ways into the dungeon. This is dangerous if you are in the first room (AKA : the main entrance), and the heroes find a sewage pipe that leads into the second room. With nobody in their way, the heroes will be able to loot their way through the dungeon, only being discovered when they reach the boss.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
With getting more characters, would that mean you have to give up older ones? Or you get a larger group of people?

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:47 pm
Legendary Ghost

|~DVDV~| wrote:
With getting more characters, would that mean you have to give up older ones? Or you get a larger group of people?
You'd get to pick what kind you want to play when you get moved to a new dungeon/die, you could pick the old one, or a new one. Usually, you won't have to go for a new one immediately, but after 10 levels or so, you're gonna start being a bit weaker.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

So how would leveling work? Would you simply gain a level for every hero slain, or place defended?

You can bet your a** I'll be joining this once it's ready.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Legendary Ghost

Kyzak wrote:
So how would leveling work? Would you simply gain a level for every hero slain, or place defended?

You can bet your a** I'll be joining this once it's ready.
A very basic experience system, somewhere around 5 hero kills (don't have to land the killing blow or even hurt it, just have to have participated actively in the fight) for a level, as heroes will ALWAYS be close to your level. Unless you're a boss, then you're probably going to tear them a new hole.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Seems like it would take alot of monitoring.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:06 am
Legendary Ghost

Snoble wrote:
Not really, just a simple dice roll after every action by the players and opponents. Considering I'll be handling the heroes, it won't be that much extra effort.

A whole lot less than The Line of War was, anyway.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 am

Hakker wrote:
Snoble wrote:
Not really, just a simple dice roll after every action by the players and opponents. Considering I'll be handling the heroes, it won't be that much extra effort.

A whole lot less than The Line of War was, anyway.

When you put it that way...
Sounds like a great idea.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

Speaking of The Line of War, I'm honestly interested in reviving that, only without the disappearing for multiple months.

..I have nothing on-topic to contribute.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 am
Legendary Ghost

Kyzak wrote:
Speaking of The Line of War, I'm honestly interested in reviving that, only without the disappearing for multiple months.

..I have nothing on-topic to contribute.

Oh, look at the time, I gotta go bury that topic so nobody can ever make me revive it.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 am

Ha, I bet Nini would support me on this.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 am
Legendary Ghost

Kyzak wrote:
Ha, I bet Nini would support me on this.
... Crap, she can blackmail me..

Oh, how low you've sunk, monsiour Kyzak, using my only weakness against me... Well, one of my few weaknesses... Shut up.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 am

Don't make me do it, Hakker.

At any rate, if you need help setting up some sort of loose dice-based stat system, I can assist.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 am
Legendary Ghost

Kyzak wrote:
Don't make me do it, Hakker.

At any rate, if you need help setting up some sort of loose dice-based stat system, I can assist.

Meh, not really, gonna keep it simple and hidden, so it can't be influenced and I don't have spend hours breaking my head over it.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:24 am

Emphasis on loose. I can do simple, y'know. And it's not like I could use this kind of information to my advantage if it was based on a dice roll, but I digress.

When do you think this will be ready?

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:28 am
 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next