The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The King Of Fighters XIV 
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
yoh wrote:
Literally go look it up.

Even if that was true, it doesn't really matter. They could have VERY easily used the gorgeous sprites from XIII a second time for XIV if they were really struggling that hard financially. They put all of the elbow grease into making this giant roster in their new sprite style, but only used it for one game. If you asked me, those sprites still had a lot of money left in them. I'm excited that they went 3D, but it may have either been too early especially seeing the quality of some of the models. Might have been worth using the sprites from XIV again and spending a little more time on R&D before they jumped into it.

Steven wrote:
Tid wrote:
so pissed its not in sprites

Where sprites are concerned the King of Fighters XIII probably had the highest quality sprites available of any game ever, but this is just an ongoing trend in the industry. The only fighting game developer that still actively uses sprites in Arc Systems but I feel like the quality of their sprites dropped after Persona 4 Arena.

If anything, going with 3D models and animation data just makes it less costly to produce the next installement since they can port over more stuff now. Making sprites has become way to costly these days.

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about regarding the drop in quality. The new Blazblue game for example has some of the most beautiful sprites and animations they've ever created. Persona 4 Arena's sprites were not up to the same quality standard of Blazblue, but when you're a side project led by a different company that's bound to happen.

It might be less costly in the long run, but considering the workload that XIII was and how high quality the sprites there produced were, you'd figure that they'd try to get more mileage out of them. Completely redoing a game from scratch with 3D graphics and a roster of over 50 characters isn't cheap either. As they'll probably learn, rehashing all of the same animation and models for every new game won't get them very far either. I don't actually think it's significantly cheaper in the long run, especially if the team is the same from XIII and previous titles. I mean, it definitely CAN be if they're reusing assets between games, but most big name fighting games don't do that. At least not extremely obviously. Someone can come in and correct me if I'm wrong.

Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:54 am

MGN Username: Hadou
Currently Playing: Hella rpgs
The graphics make me feel uncomfortable (Andy's face looks so blaaaaaand) but I'll still buy it anyway. I'm just highly upset about Shen Woo not being in. Still, there's a crap ton of other people to play with

Anyone like any of the new characters? Kinda was unimpressed by them, but I know other people will appreciate them

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:08 am

MGN Username: Yoh-dono
Currently Playing: Playing the f*** out of Gundam Extreme VS. Full Boost
Waifu: Korra
Hadou wrote:
The graphics make me feel uncomfortable (Andy's face looks so blaaaaaand) but I'll still buy it anyway. I'm just highly upset about Shen Woo not being in. Still, there's a crap ton of other people to play with

Anyone like any of the new characters? Kinda was unimpressed by them, but I know other people will appreciate them

Meitenkun is by far my favorite character in the entire series aside from Ash.

Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:27 pm
 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2