The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Lets talk about your ALL TIME favorite game 
Site Moderator

i would love to play another longform 2d platformer with as much attention to detail put into architecture, level geometry and smooth controls as castlevania symphony of the night

snidbert64 wrote:
They say Dpad controls ruined Super Mario 64 DS, but that game was my childhood, can't hate it.

if you ever get the chance to play it on the emulator with directional input mapped to the left analog stick of your gamepad it is a gr8 experience. i think it is better than the original mario 64 played this way

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:05 am

esper wrote:
snidbert64 wrote:
They say Dpad controls ruined Super Mario 64 DS, but that game was my childhood, can't hate it.

if you ever get the chance to play it on the emulator with directional input mapped to the left analog stick of your gamepad it is a gr8 experience. i think it is better than the original mario 64 played this way

that doesn't really change much since it's just a stick emulating a dpad

you can still only move in eight directions and you still have to hold down a button to run

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:50 am

It's one hell of a hard question to answer ; let's say that my favourite console game is Ace Combat 5 (not Zero or 04, but that's just because it's my first one, I really enjoyed the two other ones). On PC, however, it's a hard one ; I'd say it's either Hearts of Iron IV, or Il-2 Sturmovik (especially with 1946), or Civilizations III... I've spent obscene amounts of time on these games (apart from HoI IV because it's more recent) and never got tired.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:17 am
Site Moderator

the leader of the bunch wrote:
esper wrote:
snidbert64 wrote:

that doesn't really change much since it's just a stick emulating a dpad

you can still only move in eight directions and you still have to hold down a button to run

having to hold a button to run is obnoxious sometimes but the ability to gate your movement speed like that actually helps on a lot of levels so it's a 50/50 like/dislike for me

8 directions isn't the reason the dpad is bad for this game. mario 64 ds is different from most dpad based games because you still get free range of movement, they just use a light tank control style turning system to cover the bases. this is why you don't snap into a rigid direction like you would in that wii u mario game. so using an analog stick for this kind of movement is a lot more comfortable than using the dpad. the biggest glaring flaw is that if you want to move slower than the default walking speed you have to use touchscreen controls which is very :/

the reason i think it is better than mario 64 for the 64 is because you can play poker with luigi. i should have mentioned that in my first post

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 pm

yes, you should have

tbh i think the extra content in general is detrimental. playing as the othet characters is neat but starting the game as yoshi instead of mario kinda sucks

mario 64 ds is weird because i feel like it's a better game if you've already played the original and are looking for something a little different rather than an outright replacement

also 64 bowser is too hilarious to be missed

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

MGN Username: Sonario
Currently Playing: games probably
Waifu: Speedwagon

also 64 bowser is too hilarious to be missed

Rainbow Bowser was pretty menacing back when I was a kid.

Flash Card: show

My thanks to Utah P. Teasdale (Harr) for the amazing Flash Card.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
i feel like it's a better game if you've already played the original and are looking for something a little different rather than an outright replacement

See also: Mega Man Maverick Hunter X

I love Maverick Hunter X to death but the redone item placement feels like something you'd expect out of a NG+ mode instead of a remake.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 pm
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2