The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 4:08 pm

[ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
Bomberman 
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
He pretty much only has one move that actually pushes people away from the edge (bair), since his other aerials will end up helping them recover (except maybe nair, but thats not as strong as bair). Bombs popping the opponent up is good for messing with their recovery indeed, too bad they only send upward based on fall speed (on a character like Fox I bet this would ruin his day). If BBM had a meteor he would instantly be brought up a tier if there was an edgeguarding tier list (hmm, new thread idea?). Sheik doesn't have a meteor either, but she doesn't need one with her fair (which is like a meteor, except it sends completely horizontal instead of completely vertical) and her bair (like BBM's) is huge.

When you think about it, pretty much everyone is good at edgeguarding IN GENERAL, but I think that BBM has less/weaker options than most characters.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 am

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
Phoenix Wright wrote:
He pretty much only has one move that actually pushes people away from the edge (bair), since his other aerials will end up helping them recover (except maybe nair, but thats not as strong as bair). Bombs popping the opponent up is good for messing with their recovery indeed, too bad they only send upward based on fall speed (on a character like Fox I bet this would ruin his day). If BBM had a meteor he would instantly be brought up a tier if there was an edgeguarding tier list (hmm, new thread idea?). Sheik doesn't have a meteor either, but she doesn't need one with her fair (which is like a meteor, except it sends completely horizontal instead of completely vertical) and her bair (like BBM's) is huge.

When you think about it, pretty much everyone is good at edgeguarding IN GENERAL, but I think that BBM has less/weaker options than most characters.

Fthrow. Bthrow. Dsmash. Hit any of these or Bair near the edge and it's likely over for most after like 50-60%

EDIT: By "over" I don't necessarily mean KO, just puts them in a very tight spot and sets up for another potential bair, fair, bthrow or fthrow. Once I get the edgeguard started with this guy I can keep it on lock if I stay on it

Last edited by Huey on Tue May 05, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 05, 2015 12:23 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
You can't rely on grabs for Edgeguarding, only for setting up an edgeguard as they only hit above the stage (and when we allow that, then fsmash becomes a viable Edgeguarding move). You do have a point about dsmash.

If anything, the fact that you have listed grabs under edeguarding tools just shows how few BBM's options are. Not necessarily "bad" options, just few good options.

Tue May 05, 2015 2:18 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
I think it's fair to say that a character only needs one solid edgeguarding tool to be strong in that department. Bomberman has at least a couple, so it doesn't really make sense to discredit him based on number of options alone. It would be better to think about how good his existing options are.

Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 pm
SSF2 Developer

Savy, eh? wrote:
I think it's fair to say that a character only needs one solid edgeguarding tool to be strong in that department. Bomberman has at least a couple, so it doesn't really make sense to discredit him based on number of options alone. It would be better to think about how good his existing options are.

Agreed, imagine a character whose aerials all send the opponent straight up except for dair which spikes. It doesn't matter that their other aerials are terrible for edgeguarding, they have that one good option. Certainly more options is better, but not necessary if they overlap in terms of what they accomplish.

I think that BBM is limited by his recovery (usually not a problem for offstage bair) in terms of what he can accomplish offstage before being forced to go back to the stage. I think that he is under equipped to deal with sweetspot recoveries and ones where the player rides the wall (in terms of how close they are when recovering). Not to say that he can't deal with those, but how versatile are his options in dealing with an opponent that quickly dips low? Can his dsmash do it? I look at bair and see all this area offstage that it covers but how does he stop recoveries closer to he stage?

Tue May 05, 2015 3:11 pm

MGN Username: WRXJoey
Currently Playing: osu!
Waifu: yes
Phoenix Wright wrote:
Savy, eh? wrote:

Agreed, imagine a character whose aerials all send the opponent straight up except for dair which spikes. It doesn't matter that their other aerials are terrible for edgeguarding, they have that one good option. Certainly more options is better, but not necessary if they overlap in terms of what they accomplish.

I think that BBM is limited by his recovery (usually not a problem for offstage bair) in terms of what he can accomplish offstage before being forced to go back to the stage. I think that he is under equipped to deal with sweetspot recoveries and ones where the player rides the wall (in terms of how close they are when recovering). Not to say that he can't deal with those, but how versatile are his options in dealing with an opponent that quickly dips low? Can his dsmash do it? I look at bair and see all this area offstage that it covers but how does he stop recoveries closer to he stage?

The best option IMO is to throw a bomb offstage to detour them from recovering low and either denoting if they go low or cover the high option with bair. It really depends on the character you're edgeguarding though.

Tue May 05, 2015 6:32 pm

MGN Username: Huey
Currently Playing: Smash 4. Waiting for Beta. They better code in Bidou...
If you jump cancel grab with BBM you get the full distance of his initial dash leap. Jump Cancel grab's momentum slide is the exact distance of his foxtrot, so you can basically foxtrot around and grab as you please losing no momentum. Chain this with uthrow and it becomes really fun because when you catch your enemy while he's still in the air with a Jump Cancel grab, all the slide momentum still carries! When you grab him you both go sliding! It's amazing. Works just as well if not better with dthrow because the animation is longer, giving you more time in between the throw and JC grab

Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 pm

I don't know why its stuttering, blame Fraps
http://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedBelovedInsect

Fri May 08, 2015 12:26 am

MGN Username: Bomono3
Currently Playing: Some platformer
lol bomberman is the best charecter and you all are scrubs

My main is tails.
My secondaries are peach and fox.

My soundcloud (no relation to other accounts of the same name, its a long story)
https://soundcloud.com/caffinluvstmgc

Fri May 15, 2015 1:44 am

I know fair, when shielded, can lead into grab and that first hit of dair also leads into grab.
Any other practical grab setups?

Fri May 15, 2015 1:48 am

ahhh double post hypu
YouTube Video:

Anyway, I wanted to bring attention this weird movement option BBM mains should be using to get out of high pressure situations(or going for balls deep edgeguards).
Its done by DA right before going off a platform. The timing is super strict but on the moving SV platform, its so much easier.
plz post here guis

Sun May 17, 2015 1:43 am

Am I the only person who thinks Bomberman's bombs should harm him? That's how it worked in the game. I don't know... I just feel like this would encourage more intelligent play with him. I hate bombs being everywhere and constantly being paranoid of whether the other player is going to blow them up. Especially at high percentages where I just find myself holding shield until Bomberman grabs me and then tosses me with one of those ridiculous throws.

Secondaries: Mario-Yoshi-Lloyd

Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 pm

YComicsInSmashY wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks Bomberman's bombs should harm him? That's how it worked in the game. I don't know... I just feel like this would encourage more intelligent play with him. I hate bombs being everywhere and constantly being paranoid of whether the other player is going to blow them up. Especially at high percentages where I just find myself holding shield until Bomberman grabs me and then tosses me with one of those ridiculous throws.

That would buff him more than a nerf, being able to bomb himself while recovering will give him a hugef buff. BBM is also falls quite fast and isn't light so it'll take a while for bombs to kill him. I've also though it'd make him too much like snake IMO.

Mon May 18, 2015 8:48 pm

MGN Username: ZekePrower
Currently Playing: With my fox dolls.
That depends on how long the hitstun from a self bomb would be. I think it would still be balanced if it's not too short.

Rem is my main. Kinda looks like Tails doesn't she?

Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Eh. Wouldn't he not be able to spawn bombs without a double jump?

Secondaries: Mario-Yoshi-Lloyd

Tue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm
 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next