The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 4:22 pm

[ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
Pichu 

MGN Username: MEGA12312
Currently Playing: MH3U SSF2
Waifu: My bed
One thing i'd like to not be removed, but i know it will, is up-throw chains and up air strings. :sweat:
actually on second tought, up throw strings are probably still gonna be a thing

Wow they actually fixed Ness' throw. kinda

PICHU HYPEexcept not yet /:|

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:06 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
dragonballhero wrote:
Bedoop wrote:
This is pure speculation + putting 2 and 2 together (And hopefully getting 4, but we may get a 3 or a 5 somewhere), but;
Pichu's role (In Melee, at least) is a Smaller, Quicker Pikachu with the "class" of a Glass Cannon. Fantastic examples of Glass Cannons in Smash Bros. games would be Mr. Game & Watch (to an extent,) Smash 4's Little Mac and Flash 2's Sandbag, their emphasis being they can hit hard but not necessarily take much punishment themselves for a variety of reasons, be it their lackluster recovery ability (Which is essential in a game like Smash) or their lighter-than-usual weight (Meaning they die much quicker.)

In Flash 2, Pichu has been de-cloned a bit as well as (seemingly) refined in some aspects to further fit both the roles of the "Smaller + Lighter Pikachu" as well as the "Glass Cannon," with his new array of Specials making him a bit more gimmicky than Pikachu.

As comparisons, let's take Pikachu and Pichu's Down and Neutral Specials.
Pikachu's Neutral Special--should i need to re-explain it--travels across the stage in a bouncing fashion, going along walls and usually ending when met with a ledge. Being an electric move, it deals a bit more hitstun than your average move and is great for Zoning.
Pichu's, unlike Pikachu's now travels in it's own unique way. Similar to Luigi's fireball, it "floats" in a specific direction depending on where you use it. Using Neutral Special when Pichu is on the ground causing it to float diagonally up, and using it in the air causes the ball of electricity to go diagonally downwards. This changes the Zoning feature of Pikachu's Neutral Special into a more Trap-like move designed to constrict your opponents movements and let you get in, especially with Pichu's greater speeds.

Pikachu's Down Special--for the sake of explanation--brings a thunderbolt from the sky that does one powerful hit and knocks the opponent sideways, as well as having a powerful hitbox should the thunderbolt collide with Pikachu. This can be useful for catching opponents trying to get back onstage and further hampering their progress, as well as a great "get-off-me" tool should you have the time to use it.
Pichu's has a similar-but-different purpose, as his thunderbolt is not only a Multi-Hit (Instead of one, powerful hit) but also send the opponent directly downwards (Not factoring in Direction Influence--or "Hitstun Shuffling" as Smash 4 would call it) making it useful for not only comboing into the hitbox that Pichu gains when the thunderbolt collides with him (Should they be caught early,) but also being an even more powerful tool offstage as Spiking an opponent usually has much greater results as opposed to sending them horizontally, as a lot of characters in Flash 2 have a much easier time recovering from above/horizontally than from below (Good examples of this would be Sandbag, PAC-MAN and Tails) so sending them downwards has much bigger room for results, and possibly sealing their stock.

Other moves have been changed to refine Pichu's aspects (Such as Up B and Side B going farther distances than Pikachu's, making recovery easier among other purposes) and whilst the Self-Harm mechanic seems quite damaging--pardon the pun--remember that Goku also has this gimmick with his Kaio-Ken x2 mode, which ramps up damage constantly (and at quite the fast rate) as the form is in use instead of just when using certain moves.

Overall, Pichu seems like a riskier version of Pikachu that you can get great rewards out of, provided you learn the ins and outs of him and learn how to hit his Electricity-charged Moves (As those are the ones that damage him, missing it might cause more harm than normal) as well as offering a different playstyle due to his speed and alterations on the aforementioned moves and others.
I could be entirely wrong once 1.0.3 releases, but here's my pepper and salt on the fine dish of speculation whilst we wait. :sandbag:

Y'all motherhubbards didn't know I could science some s*** up, did you

It looks like Pichu's FINALLY becoming the high risk=big rewards character I always wished he was in Melee. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing as him in Melee, but the high risk=little reward thing could get pretty frustrating at times, if I'm being honest.

Yee, we're gettin' into Glass Cannonville
Population Cheekybois :sandbag:

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Bedoop wrote:
dragonballhero wrote:
Bedoop wrote:
This is pure speculation + putting 2 and 2 together (And hopefully getting 4, but we may get a 3 or a 5 somewhere), but;
Pichu's role (In Melee, at least) is a Smaller, Quicker Pikachu with the "class" of a Glass Cannon. Fantastic examples of Glass Cannons in Smash Bros. games would be Mr. Game & Watch (to an extent,) Smash 4's Little Mac and Flash 2's Sandbag, their emphasis being they can hit hard but not necessarily take much punishment themselves for a variety of reasons, be it their lackluster recovery ability (Which is essential in a game like Smash) or their lighter-than-usual weight (Meaning they die much quicker.)

In Flash 2, Pichu has been de-cloned a bit as well as (seemingly) refined in some aspects to further fit both the roles of the "Smaller + Lighter Pikachu" as well as the "Glass Cannon," with his new array of Specials making him a bit more gimmicky than Pikachu.

As comparisons, let's take Pikachu and Pichu's Down and Neutral Specials.
Pikachu's Neutral Special--should i need to re-explain it--travels across the stage in a bouncing fashion, going along walls and usually ending when met with a ledge. Being an electric move, it deals a bit more hitstun than your average move and is great for Zoning.
Pichu's, unlike Pikachu's now travels in it's own unique way. Similar to Luigi's fireball, it "floats" in a specific direction depending on where you use it. Using Neutral Special when Pichu is on the ground causing it to float diagonally up, and using it in the air causes the ball of electricity to go diagonally downwards. This changes the Zoning feature of Pikachu's Neutral Special into a more Trap-like move designed to constrict your opponents movements and let you get in, especially with Pichu's greater speeds.

Pikachu's Down Special--for the sake of explanation--brings a thunderbolt from the sky that does one powerful hit and knocks the opponent sideways, as well as having a powerful hitbox should the thunderbolt collide with Pikachu. This can be useful for catching opponents trying to get back onstage and further hampering their progress, as well as a great "get-off-me" tool should you have the time to use it.
Pichu's has a similar-but-different purpose, as his thunderbolt is not only a Multi-Hit (Instead of one, powerful hit) but also send the opponent directly downwards (Not factoring in Direction Influence--or "Hitstun Shuffling" as Smash 4 would call it) making it useful for not only comboing into the hitbox that Pichu gains when the thunderbolt collides with him (Should they be caught early,) but also being an even more powerful tool offstage as Spiking an opponent usually has much greater results as opposed to sending them horizontally, as a lot of characters in Flash 2 have a much easier time recovering from above/horizontally than from below (Good examples of this would be Sandbag, PAC-MAN and Tails) so sending them downwards has much bigger room for results, and possibly sealing their stock.

Other moves have been changed to refine Pichu's aspects (Such as Up B and Side B going farther distances than Pikachu's, making recovery easier among other purposes) and whilst the Self-Harm mechanic seems quite damaging--pardon the pun--remember that Goku also has this gimmick with his Kaio-Ken x2 mode, which ramps up damage constantly (and at quite the fast rate) as the form is in use instead of just when using certain moves.

Overall, Pichu seems like a riskier version of Pikachu that you can get great rewards out of, provided you learn the ins and outs of him and learn how to hit his Electricity-charged Moves (As those are the ones that damage him, missing it might cause more harm than normal) as well as offering a different playstyle due to his speed and alterations on the aforementioned moves and others.
I could be entirely wrong once 1.0.3 releases, but here's my pepper and salt on the fine dish of speculation whilst we wait. :sandbag:

Y'all motherhubbards didn't know I could science some s*** up, did you

It looks like Pichu's FINALLY becoming the high risk=big rewards character I always wished he was in Melee. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing as him in Melee, but the high risk=little reward thing could get pretty frustrating at times, if I'm being honest.

Yee, we're gettin' into Glass Cannonville
Population Cheekybois :sandbag:

All aboard the Glass Cannon hype train ;)

BTW, Bedoop, I wanted to reply to someone about Pichu in SSF2. Do you mind if I quote your post about Pichu's changes in SSF2 from Melee?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:14 pm

MGN Username: ByeOrDie
Also, one more difference between the two is that Pichu's Dair meteors ;)

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:32 pm

ByeOrDie wrote:
Also, one more difference between the two is that Pichu's Dair meteors ;)

THANK GOD. :D

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Currently Playing: SSF2, Paladins, TF2, Skullgirls
Waifu: m'Lady Lyndis
Remember guys, Pika has 64 BAir while Pichu has Melee BAir

Secondaries:
:bomberman: ; :wario:

For Fun:
:chibirobo: ; :blackmage: ; :ichigo: ; Image ; :isaac: ; :jigglypuff:

Hopefuls:
Lyn(FE); Ike(FE); Zero(MM); Andy(AW); Gilgamesh(FF)

tmanex2013 made the wonderful lyn sprite I used for Image

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 am

Jan_Solo wrote:

I am super worried about his side tilt.
In melee that thing had the tiniest hitbox ever, with a pretty significant amount of lag to boot.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am

MGN Username: SheriffSteelFlex
Currently Playing: SSB3DS
Side note, Hitstun shuffling is SDI, not DI :pikachu:

3ds FC: 0190-2959-0577
Cloud is not 3rd 2nd okey

30xx wrote:
I'm not reading all that but it looks like you have a severe case of nerd

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:25 am

Tailsis<3 wrote:
Jan_Solo wrote:

In melee that thing had the tiniest hitbox ever, with a pretty significant amount of lag to boot.

From the looks of things, the hitbox DID get bigger.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:57 am

dragonballhero wrote:
Tailsis<3 wrote:
Jan_Solo wrote:

From the looks of things, the hitbox DID get bigger.

Pheew.
What a relief.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:04 am

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Speaking of sizes
Pichu definitely seems to be the smallest in the game by a fair portion.
...Which is odd, considering that Pichu is 1 foot tall, whilst Kirby is 8 inches, Chibi Robo is a good 3 inches and Olimar (for reference sake) isn't even 1 inch tall (He's .25 inches, that's less than a centimetre tall, Chibi-Robo is more than 10x bigger than him canonically) yet all 3 of them surpass Pichu's height by a fair bit
Smash is a real strange game. :chibirobo:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Am I the only person who thinks a paralysis mechanic would be really cool? I've always thought Smash could borrow from other fighting games and video games in general that used debuffs or status as a way of diversifying from simple damage (I guess BM's poison, but eh). Imagine if you could paralyze someone to halve their movement speed for a short period of time, with the tradeoff being lag so it isn't usable in neutral and is really a combo finisher option. If you implemented a 25% to do nothing, I'd have to quit SSF2, but if you just ignored that part of Pokemon paralysis would be super fun as a gimmick but a way of diversifying styles and making combos more unique.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:55 am

MGN Username: snidbert63
Currently Playing: in a sandbox
Waifu: Weird Al Yankovic
Smash already has an effect called "paralysis." It's the one used in ZSS's neutralB and Dsmash.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:05 am

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks a paralysis mechanic would be really cool? I've always thought Smash could borrow from other fighting games and video games in general that used debuffs or status as a way of diversifying from simple damage (I guess BM's poison, but eh). Imagine if you could paralyze someone to halve their movement speed for a short period of time, with the tradeoff being lag so it isn't usable in neutral and is really a combo finisher option. If you implemented a 25% to do nothing, I'd have to quit SSF2, but if you just ignored that part of Pokemon paralysis would be super fun as a gimmick but a way of diversifying styles and making combos more unique.

From what I saw in the SSC 2017 stream, Pichu's NEW Neutral Special (Electro Ball) is going to have that very effect on his opponent if it hits.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:28 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Wait, so nspec does that as well as 12%? Wow.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm
 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next