The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 1:34 am

[ 11 posts ] 
I will be your internet guide. 

This is my new thread to try and educate people *coughs*children*coughs* after my pwnzar thread got rudely locked.
So I'll just be giving you some information about some stuffs that are on the internet.

Advertising

* FreeCreditReport.com — series of TV commercials that were posted on the Internet; many spoofs of the commercials were made and posted on YouTube.[1]
* Lowermybills.com — Banner ads from this mortgage company feature endless loops of cowboys, women, aliens, and office workers dancing.[2][3]
* Three Wolf Moon — A t-shirt with many ironic reviews on Amazon.[4]
* Embrace Life — a public service announcement for seatbelt advocacy made for a local area of the UK which achieved a million hits on its first two weeks on YouTube in 2010.[5][6]

Animation

* "Caramelldansen" – A spoof from the Japanese visual novel opening Popotan that shows the two main characters doing a hip swing dance with their hands over their heads imitating rabbit ears, while the background song plays the sped up version of the song Caramelldansen sung by the Swedish music group Caramell. Also known as Caramelldansen Speedycake Remix or Uma uma dance (ウマウマダンス) in Japan, the song was parodied by artists and fans who then copy the animation and include characters from other anime performing the dance.[7][8][9]
* Charlie the Unicorn — A three-part series of videos involving a unicorn who is repeatedly hoodwinked by two other unnamed unicorns, colored blue and pink, who bring him on elaborate adventures in order to steal his belongings or cause him physical harm.[10]
* Dancing baby – A 3D-rendered dancing baby that first appeared in 1997 by the creators of 3D Studio MAX, and became something of a late 1990s cultural icon in part due to its exposure on the television series Ally McBeal.[11]
* Homestar Runner – A Flash animated Internet cartoon by Mike Chapman and Craig Zobel, created in 1996 and popularized in 2000, along with Matt Chapman. The cartoon contains many references to popular culture from the 1980s and 1990s, including video games, television, and popular music.[12]
* Joe Cartoon – Alias of online cartoonist Joe Shields. Best known for his interactive Flash animations Frog in a Blender[13] and Gerbil in a Microwave,[14] released in 1999.[15] Two of the first Flash cartoons to receive fame on the internet.[16]
* Loituma Girl (also known as Leekspin)[17] – Loop of Orihime Inoue from Bleach twirling a leek set to the music of Loituma.
* This Land is Your Land – Flash animation produced by JibJab featuring cartoon faces of George W. Bush and John Kerry that parodies the United States presidential election, 2004. The video became a viral hit and viewed by over 100 million, leading to the production of other JibJab hits, including Good to be in D.C. and Big Box Mart.[18]
* Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny – A lethal battle royal between many notable real and fictitious characters from popular culture.[19]
* Happy Tree Friends – A series of flash cartoons featuring cute cartoon animals experiencing violent and gruesome accidents.[20]
* "so i herd u liek mudkips" – A phrase originating on another website, members of 4chan adopted it as an in-joke. Since then, the meme has grown steadily, now including thousands of Mudkip tribute videos on Youtube and has been named by the Wall Street Journal as one of 4Chan's "Greatest Hits".[21]

See also: Virus hoax and Chain-letter

* Bill Gates E-mail Beta Test – An e-mail chain-letter that first appeared in 1997 and was still circulating as recently as 2007. The message claims that America Online and Microsoft are conducting a beta test and for each person you forward the e-mail to, you will receive a payment from Bill Gates of more than $200. Pseudo-realistic contact information for a lawyer appears in the message.[22][23]
* Mouse Ball Replacement Memo – A memorandum circulated to IBM field service technicians detailing the proper procedures for replacing mouse balls, yet filled with a number of sexual innuendos. The memo actually was written by someone at IBM and distributed to technicians, but it was distributed as a corporate in-joke, and not as an actual policy or procedure. On the Internet, the memo can be traced as far back as 1989.[24]
* Neiman Marcus Cookie recipe – An e-mail chain-letter dating back to the early 1990s, but originating as Xeroxlore, in which a person tells a story about being ripped off for over $200 for a cookie recipe from Neiman Marcus. The e-mail claims the person is attempting to exact revenge by passing the recipe out for free.[25][26]
* Goodtimes virus – An infamous, fraudulent virus warning that first appeared in 1994. The e-mail claimed that an e-mail virus with the subject line "Good Times" was spreading, which would "send your CPU into an nth-complexity infinite binary loop", among other dire predictions.[27][28]

Films

* 300 – The film 300 originated a series of image macros featuring variations of the "This is sparta" phrase associated with images of disparate situations, often superimposing the film's main character's face onto people in the image.[29][30]
* The Blair Witch Project – The first film to use the Internet for astroturfing. Its makers spread rumors that the material they shot was authentic and that the three protagonists really disappeared in Burkittsville.[31]
* Brokeback Mountain — inspired many online parody trailers.[32]
* Cloverfield – Paramount Pictures used a viral marketing campaign to promote this monster movie.[33]
* Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus – The theatrical trailer released in mid-May 2009 became a viral hit, scoring over one million hits on MTV.com and another 300,000 hits on YouTube upon launch, prompting brisk pre-orders of the DVD.[34]
* Party Girl – First feature film shown in its entirety on the Internet (June 3, 1995).[35][36]
* Snakes on a Plane – Attracted attention a year before its planned release, and before any promotional material was released, due to the film's working title and seemingly absurd premise. Producers of the film responded to the Internet buzz by adding several scenes and dialogue imagined by the fans.[37]

Games

* "All your base are belong to us" – Badly translated English from the opening cut scene of the European Sega Genesis/Mega Drive version of the 1989 arcade game Zero Wing, which has become a catchphrase, inspiring videos and other derivative works.[38]
* Giant Enemy Crab – The embarrassing Sony conference from E3 2006 in their promotion of the PlayStation 3, particularly focusing on Kaz Hirai's presentation and the demonstration of Genji 2; the presentation coined such phrases as "Giant Enemy Crab", "599 US Dollars" and "Riiiiiidge Racerrrr!"
* Leeroy Jenkins – A World Of Warcraft player charges into a high-level dungeon with a distinctive cry of "Leeeeeeeerooooy... Jeeenkins!", ruining the meticulous attack plans of his group and getting them all killed.[39]
* Line Rider – A Flash game where the player draws lines that act as ramps and hills for a small rider on a sled.[40]
* I Love Bees – An alternate reality game that was spread virally after a 1 second mention inside a Halo 2 s****. Purported to be a website about Honey Bees that was infected and damaged by a strange Artificial Intelligence, done in a disjointed, chaotic style resembling a crashing computer. At its height, over 500,000 people were checking the website every time it updated.

I could teach you about the way people say things.
But I can't directly teach you. I have to let you go to a website that way you are going there on your discretion (If that's how you use Discretion in a sentence) and then this thread won't be locked.

So I'll just list it under here...

Click on this sentence to learn about "L33t Speak"

Click on this sentence to learn about "Internet Slang"

That is all, God I put so much time into this one and hope my time does not get wasted.

I will update as this is in it's uncompleted form but is still readable... except without the spam linking.

Sat May 08, 2010 2:46 am

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden III
Compressed version:

Go to urbandictionary.com for any questions you may have

Sat May 08, 2010 3:20 am
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
Enternal wrote:
That is all, God I put so much time into this one and hope my time does not get wasted.

What time? You copy & pasted s*** from wikipedia, that's like 5 minutes of work, especially if you didn't bother to remove the notes.

|~DVDV~| wrote:
Compressed version:

Go to urbandictionary.com for any questions you may have

Or knowyourmemes, if you want to have everything explained by a bunch of newfags who go around ripping off encyclopedia dramatica and missing the f*** point entirely.

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 am

so basically you uh

copied and pasted a wikipedia article.

what.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:04 am
Site Moderator

You know, I hardly see some of the ones posted.

Sat May 08, 2010 5:06 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
Ugh, I have this friend who recently discovered knowyourmemes and thinks he's the s***.

Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 am

MGN Username: Hadou
Currently Playing: Hella rpgs
Lol. Some of those youtube fads and memes are ones I've never heard of. And I hate it sometimes when you older people try to educate us, as if we couldn't find out on our own?
I should try educating you older people on how to combo in crossover games without faili-*is shot*

Sat May 08, 2010 9:00 am

goddamn newfags

Sat May 08, 2010 12:02 pm

NDUESTRE wrote:
goddamn newfags

inorite

Sat May 08, 2010 2:41 pm

MGN Username: Hadou
Currently Playing: Hella rpgs
Claus wrote:
NDUESTRE wrote:
goddamn f#%$&

inorite

inorite?
Man, hes a total f***

Sat May 08, 2010 2:53 pm
Legendary Ghost

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XI, Left 4 Dead 2
HadouKid wrote:
Lol. Some of those youtube fads and memes are ones I've never heard of. And I hate it sometimes when you older people try to educate us, as if we couldn't find out on our own?
I should try educating you older people on how to combo in crossover games without faili-*is shot*
Someone should get around to educating this kid on how not to fail in general.

Anyway, yah, this topic has served its use, three warnings, score!

:lock:

"Jesus promised the end of all wicked people. Odin promised the end of all ice giants. I don't see many ice giants around."

Sat May 08, 2010 3:02 pm
 [ 11 posts ]