The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 3:24 am

Forum rules

Anyone is free to post new topics here now. However please limit yourself to 3 maximum posts of your own per month, and absolutely NO debate topics!

Also please be mindful of what articles others post and try to show some variety. Posting multiple articles that are too similar could disinterest people from your topic.

[ 13 posts ] 
Quinnspiracy. 

Currently Playing: Awesomenauts, SSBB, Project M
It's a big thing happening in the video game industry, especially in the media and journalism, and I want to know what you guys think about it.

Here are links talking more about it:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/quinnspiracy
http://thezoepost.wordpress.com
YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Thanks Kiki for letting me do this.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:09 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
"know your meme", "five guys" and "in-n-out" all in one post holy f*** s***

i'm too busy actually playing games to care sorry

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 pm

maybe give an explanation? if you're just gonna rely on those videos to explain it, then um well im sorry but im not gonna waste 25 minutes on two videos for something that could probably be briefly explained in a few sentences

also im not reading knowyourmeme, sorry, and thezoepost thing doesnt seem to have much explicit correlation to this soooo yeah

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
I stopped paying attention after there was some allegedly fake hack attempts or something and I just got totally lost. Too much s*** going on

Note that I'm not asking for an explanation there

As for some actual opinions: The harassment of women in the industry is a serious problem considering recent Zoe and Anita shenanigans, regardless of what you feel of their works or them as people. Also gaming journalism is horse s*** for a wide variety of reasons that would require several of its own topics

And most importantly: I ate at Five Guys yesterday! It was okay. Got a burger & fries and a s*** of peanuts. Still have some peanuts. My dog is named peanut. Hell yeah for peanuts.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:55 pm

madam im adam wrote:
maybe give an explanation? if you're just gonna rely on those videos to explain it, then um well im sorry but im not gonna waste 25 minutes on two videos for something that could probably be briefly explained in a few sentences

also im not reading knowyourmeme, sorry, and thezoepost thing doesnt seem to have much explicit correlation to this soooo yeah

hajsgawlriguhasdf fine.

Basically a female game developer named Zoe Quinn made a game called Depression Quest that got green lighted on Steam despite people not wanting it to be. The zoepost was released by her ex-boyfriend who detailed Quinn's affairs with five other guys (hence the video saying Five Guys: Burgers and Fries), mainly video game journalists (such as Nathan Grayson from Kotaku). With screen caps of Facebook chats, he revealed to the internet how his former girlfriend cheated on him with these specific people, implying that she could have used her relationships to boost her and her games's popularity. This led to many people on the internet looking into what Quinn has done and causing a whole investigation on journalism itself. This became even bigger when gaming new sites such as Kotaku, Polygon, etc. don't address this scandal and keep discussion hidden while other sites such as Reddit and 4Chan (I know, eh, but whatever) censoring any sort of discussion about Zoe Quinn, hence making the people of the internet come to try and fix this and stop corrupt journalism from happening.

It sounds kind of biased, sorry. That's honestly the best I could do. If someone else knows about this that would be helpful.

EDIT:
@Term. It's hard not to also mention the harassment of other people who've spoken out about this either. JonTron and Totalbiscuit come to mind, though JonTron did a bunch of stuff that's getting flack from everybody so.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Term wrote:
I stopped paying attention after there was some allegedly fake hack attempts or something and I just got totally lost. Too much s*** going on

Note that I'm not asking for an explanation there

As for some actual opinions: The harassment of women in the industry is a serious problem considering recent Zoe and Anita shenanigans, regardless of what you feel of their works or them as people. Also gaming journalism is horse s*** for a wide variety of reasons that would require several of its own topics

And most importantly: I ate at Five Guys yesterday! It was okay. Got a burger & fries and a s*** of peanuts. Still have some peanuts. My dog is named peanut. Hell yeah for peanuts.

bro i ate at five guy a few days ago for the first time

it was pretty good, i mean double patties and bacon mmff that's the spot

but 16 dollars for a burger, fries, and a drink? jesus!!!

Also the most interesting thing about Zoe Quinn: she has a computer chip in the back of her hand and a magnet on her left ring finger.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 pm
Site Admin

*hovers over thread*

The boy wants some logical discussion concerning this conspiracy thing. Is that too much to ask for?
If you can't handle it, get out of the kitchen!

Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 pm

Aw, thanks Kiki.

Anyway, since I've kind of explained it a little, can I have some of your opinions on the issue of corruption in the video game media?

Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:56 pm

D: guys pls I wanted to have a discussion about this.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Then maybe you should have tried posting video game news in the topic for it in the video gaming section

Wait no, you shouldn't. Zoe Quinn doesn't make video games. She's just human garbage that made a s*** visual novel.

And video games journalism being trash isn't exactly news either. I don't get what you want to discuss.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:16 pm

I want to see what other people's opinions are about the issue of corruption in video game journalism and see what people are thinking. Of course if that's not happening, then I'll lock the thread and call it a day.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:54 pm
there's a pretty universal opinion, so i doubt there'd be much to discuss

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:20 am

ugh fine.

I tried. Whatever.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:48 am
 [ 13 posts ]