The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:24 pm

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Whim's 20 Minute Modules - Season 1 

Currently Playing: Mandolin
Seeing how its tough right now for large projects to get off the ground due to various circumstances, I've decided to start creating small events that require less dedication over long periods of time and offers short burst of entertainment. I also wouldn't mind using them as a gateway for new people to try rping. Everyone is welcome, but there will be standards that will be heavily enforced to assure everything runs well.

Basic rules and regulations
- Characters must be built carefully without being a self-insert or having mary sue traits. (A Way With Worlds has been my goto guide for defining how to build from the ground up. It focuses more on the world than characters, but the few columns on characters are very good sources (The Badass Paradox columns are what I consider to put be some of the best advice for rpers, because many first characters are unfeeling badasses). Another good building source is Nini's (RIP) go to guide: rpg.ashami.com/)
- Characters do not have to be very detailed history-wise. The modules consist of separate events which all exist within a vacuum. Nothing from other worlds applies to those that the events take place in.
- If desired, plays can use pre-built characters as long as they fall under the criteria desired and are formatted well (i.e. follow guidelines set in the sources linked above).
- Posts within topics cannot be one liners. There are times in rping where one remark is appropriate, but these modules will be written to foster interaction between characters as well as promote inner monologue. A one liner is counter intuitive to the point of the modules and offending players will be reprimanded.
- Interaction is desired. Player vs player is not unless I specifically allow it (and I will be very clear). If a character IS killed, by player or by my whim, they are only dead for that event because it is isolated from everything else.
- General rules concerning flambaiting and such apply in all threads, including this one. Do not give criticism when a character is not up to par, I will give constructive criticism based on my criteria, not yours. Speaking out of turn and scaring away players is prohibited and will affect your ability to participate in the modules and all rps I run in general.
- Something else when something comes up and I need to complain about it. Speaking of which, I reserve the right to deny or ban any player based on their actions within the modules or this discussion thread.

Current Modules
Season 1 - Story 1
St. Troya's Temple
Available for 5 players
Infinity
Kiki
KP
Live Grenade
Brikanorak

Past Modules

Character sheet
NAME
PERSONALITY
MISC SKILLS

This sheet is very basic to work with the very simple modules. Not much information is required and it allows more room for players to breathe. The best way to make characters is to learn simple, then go advanced. We put too much time into advanced rps for the few of the advanced rpers that exist and don't spend enough time focusing on the basics, something that a more freeform approach helps foster.

Last edited by Whimzer on Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Waifu: I'm married
interested of course

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:04 pm
YIM WWW

Gotta have your fix, huh?
But yes, this seems like an elegant solution to our present situation.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Well, a solution as long as people are willing. I'd like a bunch of people who'd like to play, but it might take time.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:06 am

Currently Playing: No games
Seems really neat. How do you plan on making it work? What kind of settings do you plan on using? I'm interested at the idea.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:48 pm

I was going to be pulling most of the settings for season 1 from a sourcebook I wrote specifically for a project that I scrapped in favor of a D&D mini modules style. It'll be available after the finale of Season 1 to anyone who wants to run their own modules for Season 2 because it's written to cover one continent very specifically and the rest of the world is free for others to fool around with. Think about it like an rpg: there's the main stories that I'd use to guide the season along and then there can be other mini modules by others within that world that are like little sidequests. The original sourcebook is sort of a dark ages/1300s sort of world, but the beauty of an open world is we can move back and forth in time freely.

Of course it all depends on the popularity of the first season so who knows where it goes.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm

there are a grand total of like 8 people who "consistently" rp and 2 people who are new and unsalvageable, probably for years to come

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:38 pm
Site Admin

I'm game.

Someone bring back Thai too please. (Never giving up)

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 pm

{420}sMoKeWeEd{420} wrote:
there are a grand total of like 8 people who "consistently" rp and 2 people who are new and unsalvageable, probably for years to come

I'd hope for more people who are salvageable. I'm hoping to introduce people who have ability to this board.

But hope is different than faith because if I had faith in it I'd know it would be possible, if I hope for it, it probably isn't.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 pm
Site Admin

Whimzer wrote:
{420}sMoKeWeEd{420} wrote:

I'd hope for more people who are salvageable. I'm hoping to introduce people who have ability to this board.

But hope is different than faith because if I had faith in it I'd know it would be possible, if I hope for it, it probably isn't.

Hey! Who knows, we all had a learning curve. I strongly believe in bringing in fresh blood, and if this is what we need to do to do it, then I'm down with that.

The other RPs are definitely a bit heavier, and have been going on for an extended period of time, both quite daunting prospects to join. This however, keeps things fresh and open for new RPers looking to join.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm opening up spots for the first module. There are 5 spots available, send sheets through pm and leave this thread for occ discussion only.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:00 pm

i'll make a character tomorrow

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:13 pm
YIM WWW

Aww, are there no takers or is it just a bad time of year with finals and the holidays?

Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm

this must liveeee

l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 pm
YIM WWW
Site Admin

Yeah, it's finals season, give me a week or 2.

Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:33 pm
 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next