The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 6:37 pm

[ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next
Captain Falcon 

MGN Username: Lunary
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. Melee , League Of Legends , Drinking
I think Falcon is the most entertaing character to watch in SSF2

Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Falcon is the most entertaining character to watch in every Smash game. His design is just flawless for the gameplay

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:21 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
can we talk about how when you upB and grab someone in midair, it hinders your recovery? like you can't use the move for another 2 seconds and just drift to your death. is this intended or what?

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:22 am
BR Member

MGN Username: JayVoltage
Currently Playing: Rivals of Aether, Super Smasn Flash 2, Fate/Grand Order
Jammy wrote:
can we talk about how when you upB and grab someone in midair, it hinders your recovery? like you can't use the move for another 2 seconds and just drift to your death. is this intended or what?

Ahaha I just watched Scar and Top commentary highlights and how Scar says how Falcon is so stupid when he grabs his opponent and yells "Yessss!" and acts so proud as he propels himself back into the abyss where he recovered from or something like that.

Mains: :link: :falco: :sonic:
Most recent video of some of my favourite online moments. Check it out! :]

YouTube Video:

Newly acquired Servant: Minamoto no Yorimitsu NEW!

Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:39 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Jammy wrote:

Haha I just played a match where I was close enough to recover with up-b, grabbed my opponent with it, and was then unable to recover. Seems silly, he should get more recovery if only a little bit!

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:20 am

MGN Username: SoldierSunday
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Jammy wrote:

This demo we put less distance jumping from the explosion so you can't gimp yourself, but i guess we didnt cut down the distance enough. Falcons recovery is gdlk and stupid at the same time.

" You know what neither Melee nor Brawl have ? Controller input history in training mode." - 228zip, 2013

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:21 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
SoldierSunday wrote:
Jammy wrote:

This demo we put less distance jumping from the explosion so you can't gimp yourself, but i guess we didnt cut down the distance enough. Falcons recovery is gdlk and stupid at the same time.

Just make him jump higher, and able to act out of it before he drops below the initial jumping point.

Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:24 am
SSF2 Developer

I have an idea. What if he can jump again after grabbing?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:29 am
SSF2 Developer

swyft the hedgedog wrote:
I have an idea. What if he can jump again after grabbing?

His opponents dont get their jump back from the attack, I don't think he should. That might be a lot of recovery, I don't think he needs that much.

I just realized who you are. Welcome back!

Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:31 am
BR Member

bored while servers are down so heres another topic for discussion

~~~~Falcon's dthrow~~~~

I believe that, while it's often his best option out of a grab, it's severely weaker than in other smash games.

For example, in other games it's very useful for techchasing as it knocks opponents down at low percents and often the hitstun is long enough to send them into knockdown, unless they're a floaty or at high percents.
However, in SSF2 the throw only knocks down Fox reliably, as even Falcon and DK can escape from the hitstun before they go into knockdown except when at certain percents. Any other characters can also escape the hitstun before knockdown (feel free to call me out on this, haven't tested it thoroughly with all characters).
This is detrimental to Falcon's game as it hinders his ability to techchase opponents to high percents or techchase them off the stage reliably, one of his strong points in other games.

Another feature of Falcon's dthrow in other games is it's utility in setting up a knee. At a decent range of percentages dthrow -> knee is guaranteed.
However, in SSF2 the opponent's DI severely effects this. The opponent either goes straight up or at a diagonal angle. Both angles guarantee a knee, but you have to guess what angle the opponent will DI towards, effectively making it a 50% chance to get a guaranteed knee if the opponent mixes up their DI.

These two features make dthrow a significantly weaker tool than in other games in my opinion.
DISCUSS.

Youtube         Twitch

Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:23 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dthrow -> Knee require reading DI in every Smash game?

Agreed about techchasing though. However, I think dthrow actually combos at more percents in this game because of the trajectory.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:58 pm
BR Member

TheCodeSamurai wrote:
Firstly, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't dthrow -> Knee require reading DI in every Smash game?

Agreed about techchasing though. However, I think dthrow actually combos at more percents in this game because of the trajectory.

dthrow -> knee is guaranteed at a decent variety of percents (generally around 80%) in melee and PM, idk about smash4 / brawl. at the very least, it doesn't require a hard read as you always jump diagonally forward to get the followup, whereas the ssf2 variant requires you to go either straight up or diagonal.

Youtube         Twitch

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:52 pm
SSF2 Developer

What I find is that dthrow sends at a trajectory that puts the opponent in a blind spot for the knee follow up. As in, they fly too far for short hop knee to hit (no run), and they don't fly far enough for instant run short hop knee to hit. The only time I've KO'd a human opponent with this combo he was at a very high percent, definitely over 100, and I did instant run full hop knee and I hit him with the reverse knee (meaning I almost flew too far to hit him). I run into this same problem all of the time against CPU's too. So I always dthrow->uair or bair, or knee at the lowest percents.

I think the dthrow should have a lowered trajectory and a tad more hitstun, or give it a lot more hitstun but keep falcon in the throw longer (prevents easy knees, allows tech chases at low percents, chaingrabs on certain characters, knee will still be a DI read but you won't have to worry about being literally incapable of hitting your opponent).

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:54 pm
BR Member

@Phoenix Wright

knee is definitely a guaranteed followup from dthrow at certain percents. if they DI out you can running short hop / full hop knee, and if they DI in you can full hop / double jump and knee. the problem is that it's super jank and you need a hard read to even have a chance at it working (50/50 chance).

the main problem is that it's really bad for techchasing which is an integral part of falcon's play.

imo

Youtube         Twitch

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:05 pm
SSF2 Developer

Jammy wrote:
@Phoenix Wright

knee is definitely a guaranteed followup from dthrow at certain percents. if they DI out you can running short hop / full hop knee, and if they DI in you can full hop / double jump and knee. the problem is that it's super jank and you need a hard read to even have a chance at it working (50/50 chance).

the main problem is that it's really bad for techchasing which is an integral part of falcon's play.

imo

But if they do no DI then they dont go far enough to running knee, but usually too far to just jump and knee.

Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:44 pm
 [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 30  Next