The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:08 pm

[ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
so what's your album of the year so far 
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: FFXIV
Waifu: you get ONE guess
Esper wrote:
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgep40sclh4 ]

the 2014 release i overplayed the most

grindcore will never have another band like gridlink. RIP

checked this album once and liked it, but never gave it another listen till now.
rules

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:24 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
grindcore's never been my thing but i see the appeal

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:43 am
Site Moderator

MGN Username: Arel
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Waifu: Jesus of Nazareth
Has anyone else heard Vulnicura yet?

Definitely one of Bjork's softer albums.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Really enjoying it.

Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Arel wrote:
Has anyone else heard Vulnicura yet?

Definitely one of Bjork's softer albums.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Really enjoying it.

Listened to a bit of Vulicura. I like pretty much all of Bjork's stuff but I'm starting to feel like I'm drowning in string arrangements and vocals which go on for 15 seconds with each syllable. Sometime's I miss her old vocal phrasing from her first few albums.
I'll still have to listen it all properly but I feel like right now isn't the time for it because of my state of mind and her state of mind while she made it. I don't think it'll be my favourite Bjork album though, that place being taken by Vespertine right now.

New John Frusciante album out today I think. There's been just about no talk of it apart from the initial announcement where he said his alias Trickfinger would make an acid house album and released one song and the tracklist for it. I didn't really expect anything else though, his label is literally called Record Collection Music and their description on Soundcloud is
Quote:
A moderately sized label with aspirations to be smaller.

I listened to the track he released. Sounded very early Aphex Twin. I like that he's taking a step back even though I absolutely loved all his previous electronic albums. They were cluttered as f*** with the drums switching both sample and time signature at the drop of a hat so listening to his new song and hearing a 4/4 constant kick drum pattern gave me very mixed feelings. Even on the Black Knights album he had lot's of groove variations with the kick and snares pushing forward or pulling back each bar. Speaking of which new black knights album should be coming this year too.

Alsssoooooo new Tame Impala stuff coming. Don't think I'll like it as much as Lonerism but oh well.

Anyone listened to the new Steve Wilson album? I liked the raven that refused to sing and Steve Wilson is pretty much all around beast so I'll probably like it.

EDIT: f***, I actually checked the label the trickfinger thing is coming out on. They released 2 minute versions of all the tracks on there. What sort of a f*** preview is that for a 90's sounding acid house album. Gave away a bit of the album don't you think.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:43 pm
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Sekiro, Persona 4
Waifu: That’s right. PS4.
i kinda feel the same way about vulnicura, it's good but i don't think i care for it all that much. it's kinda samey and lyrically it isn't nearly as interesting, as say, biophilia or vespertine. it's decent. (biophilia is probably my favorite)

i've listened to tame impala's lonerism like once or twice and i thought it was boring, but i should probably give it another whirl sometime

i've been liking parts of the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album, primarily the final track, "Piss Crowns Are Trebled". the album itself isn't great or particularly anything to sneeze at, especially given godspeed's stellar discography. the closing track is quite phenomenal, though. there aren't any vocal samples on the album, which kind of makes it feel more empty than their others, but even despite that it's just musically kind of bland considering the stuff they've done previously.

Brainticket came out with a new album a few weeks ago, and it's quite nice, although it drags on a bit. it isn't nearly as cool as their 1971 masterpiece "Cottonwoodhill" but it's worth checking out if you're into psychedelic music at all.

the new Death Grips album, "The Powers That B" is pretty cool.

i'm still CRAZY excited for Paul de Jong's new album, as well as Antony's HOPELESSNESS, and recently heard Nosaj Thing is gonna come out with his new record this year, which i'm definitely looking forward to hearing. i'm absolutely in love with his 2013 release "Home", and hearing him continue from there would be great

Blue wrote:
lol Cry more, Terminex. f*** f**. lolololololol What a b****.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:02 pm

I still like lonerism but there was something really special I saw in it at one point that made me think it was so magical and fantastic or something. I listen to it now and I hear flaming lips wall of sound but with less brain eating mixed with bedroom riffs and 'why am i so lonely no one will even talk to me i hate them anyway but i still want their approval' type lyrics. What really surprises me is why the critics are so obsessed with him.

I listened to some of the tracks from The Powers That B but I decided to go back and download Money Store and listen to that first. My conclusion is that I think I like Zach Hill a lot more than Death Grips. In the same way I like Thom Yorke more than Radiohead. If that makes any sense to anyone else.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:12 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Pope Krillin VI wrote:
I listened to some of the tracks from The Powers That B but I decided to go back and download Money Store and listen to that first. My conclusion is that I think I like Zach Hill a lot more than Death Grips. In the same way I like Thom Yorke more than Radiohead. If that makes any sense to anyone else.

i feel that, but i dont feel that way for either band, zach hill is phenomenal in pretty much everything he has to do with

all i've heard are periphery's juggernaut albums, the powers that b by death grips and another eternity by purity ring (which all of them i like esp. the periphery albums!!!)

someone rec me some 2015 releases that are just cool as hell, i'll give just about anything a try as long as its not dumb like linkin park or merzbow (wow gottem)

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:23 pm
Site Moderator

Nixter wrote:
all i've heard are periphery's juggernaut albums, the powers that b by death grips and another eternity by purity ring (which all of them i like esp. the periphery albums!!!)

someone rec me some 2015 releases that are just cool as hell, i'll give just about anything a try as long as its not dumb like linkin park or merzbow (wow gottem)

new purity ring is really good, but from what i've seen you and i are the only ones that really think that

check De Gjenlevende by Galar or Scar Sighted by Leviathan if you want some great 2015 black metal releases, but Galar might not be kvlt enough or w/e
the new dance gavin dance album leaked and im enjoying that
aside from those i haven't really listened to much from 2015 either

edit: oh yeah, The Body/Thou released You, Whom I Have Always Hated and it's pretty good. i remember you saying you liked Thou, so maybe give that a shot

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:31 pm

I remember having a bit of dance gavin dance stuff. I wasn't too big on it but what's their new one like?

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:39 pm
Site Moderator

same old DGD so if you weren't a fan before it might not change your mind. they released 3 singles from it so i'll link my favourite one.
you know, 14 year old girl-core. it's probably their softest album yet
tilian's vocals aren't completely slathered in effects this time around, which is nice

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:42 pm

MGN Username: Nixter
Currently Playing: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Scott wrote:
new purity ring is really good, but from what i've seen you and i are the only ones that really think that

check De Gjenlevende by Galar or Scar Sighted by Leviathan if you want some great 2015 black metal releases, but Galar might not be kvlt enough or w/e
the new dance gavin dance album leaked and im enjoying that
aside from those i haven't really listened to much from 2015 either

edit: oh yeah, The Body/Thou released You, Whom I Have Always Hated and it's pretty good. i remember you saying you liked Thou, so maybe give that a shot

really digging this Galar stuff, super cool vocals!!
gotta give dance gavin dance a listen, i love that band (glad to hear the vocals aren't mucked around with as much)
not really a fan of Leviathan tbh might give him another shot!

thou is cool, trying to catch up to all their releases so i have that to look forward to

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:54 pm

Is Thou that sludgey doom metal band that someone linked on here once a year ago?

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 pm
Site Moderator

that's correct

Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 pm

I liked it. I couldn't remember the name of them for a while though so it's good I've been reminded of them.

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 pm
Site Moderator

thou's entire discography is good but their newest one, Heathen, is their best

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:06 pm
 [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next