The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 3:35 pm

[ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
MG Mafia 25: UPick Literally Anything-Game Ended 

Currently Playing: FE6-8, Radiant Historia, TWEWY
@Brik: Yeah, I made way more mistakes in this setup than I'd like. I really wanted to see what would happen if I push the game to its absolute limit in terms of what's acceptable, but this is more an experimental setup than anything else.

Re: The Aegis-the way I wanted to balance it out was with the person returning immediately. So if the person is lynched the Aegis would not end the day, enabling them to be lynched again. The actual idea of just 'dropping' items is a bit too random. Would've probably changed it to a draft and made it clear in the OP that items would be dropping if I did this again.

Re: the abilitiies-yeah, I made 194's ability especially hard to achieve(since it involves no actioning AND not being targeted)-I planned on counting votes as targeted abilities, so I think it's balanced fair enough. Would increase cost by one but otherwise leave it at that-if 194 is not targeted for that long he deserves the win anyways.

In hindsight Bloodlust was a bit crazy, but I wanted it, in conjunction with Lightning's voting ability, to make for some really weird situations were townies would choose between claiming or looking really suspicious. Bloodlust was too strong: would probably cut down the 'one harder to lynch' part, but that's it considering how few lynches one would get in this game.

Lightning's voting ability was hopefully counteracted in part because you could only use one ability per phase, and only at night, so even if he amassed a ton of points they won't be too much use. I also predicted(and was right) that people would catch on to Lightning's ability(Doq did iirc), so it wasn't a complete failure, but yeah, a wagon as 3 players makes much more sense, and dropping the points required would probably also be right.
~~~~
@kb: I chose alignments at random(using random.org) after rolenames were submitted. John Cena dream could've been real though, probably would've went with it. Go ahead with Pokemon UPick, it sounds pretty fun.
~~~~
Ideas for the section: Newbie Games?
What I hope would be best for the section is for two games to run at once. One game would be as normal, while the other game would be a small, probably 5P Vengeful for new players, consisting of 4 complete newbies(more or less as necessary) and 1 experienced player. This helps provide a 'taster' of what mafia is like in a game that's not only pretty quick, but is probably less intimidating than normal games(the wooly lynch day 1 was pretty frightening for him and probably turned him off the game). The experienced player will keep a log of his thoughts in a QT or a doc, and reveal what he thought of each player's game at the end.

There are a few problems, though. One that not many people are interested in mafia in the first place, as it requires a lot of time effort. Second that the game would probably just be inactive because new players. I'd love to try it out if no one else wants to: in any case I'll take a break from modding and playing main games for now for this project.
~~~~
As for main games? I'll be fine with anything, really. Pokemon UPick sounds fun, but I'll probably pass on that one haha. Would love to see a traditional closed themed setup sorta like Breaking Bad mafia again. Classic roles with a bit of extra flair with a larger player base than this one, so you can afford to be more swingy.

Sig courtesy of Arthur: eternally grateful.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:21 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Dota 2, BoI: Rebirth, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, MGSV
kb wrote:
I had an idea for a Pokémon UPick (probably limited to Gen I or I and II only) but I'm not a very organised person and probably wouldn't be a good mod, so if anyone wants to take that idea then they can

I figured people would easily see that I was mafia simply because I was so opposed to Semicolon's plan

Anyway I won't complain about this too much, I'll just look past it and enjoy the next game

I could host a Pokemon UPick. I'd like making roles for that. If I do do that, would you guys want it to be a more creative setup or a more standard game? I wouldn't make anything broken, promise.

Ninja'd:
I think a better way to use Bloodlust would have been for me to get more voting power with hammers instead of vote resistance. That way I would get rewarded for it while having to be careful with my votes, and I could still be lynched in LyLo.

Newbie games were an idea I've had for this section for a while, but the main issue is advertising I think. We don't actually know, of the people that go into the Forum Games section, how many even click on the mafia section. I've always wanted to get rid of that Godfather quote and use that space to constantly update what is happening in the section as a way to get new players in. Like, it could say "Main Game: X Mafia: Day 1, Newbie Game: X Mafia: In Signups Stage." Alas only admins can alter that text so I'd have to bug Geno to do it all the time.

As for closed Setups, I've had an idea for Game of Thrones mafia for a long time but never actually wrote down anything for it. It was planned to be like 13 players though and I think that's too big for the section right now. I would probably be more interested in a Hannibal mafia now that it's getting canceled and ends this Thursday.

AMA

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:35 pm

For newbie games I don't mind doing advertising myself, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem. I do agree that updating the text would make it much better, though we'll have to see how much interest there is in Mafia first. I'd probably say there is some interest in mafia, but mostly the themed ones(remember how popular SSBMafia was?), which is making me worried that a relatively vanilla setup won't be that interesting.

I'll probably post it tomorrow once I have a suitable s**** written up. If someone can help with recruiting new players that'll be great(I'll probably PM a few regulars from the SSF2 section and post in the unofficial Skype chat).

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:11 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Savvy, eh?
Currently Playing: Savvy's Art Academy
Pokémon UPick sounds fun. I do love the large themed games, but I think we're going to have to hold off on those until we get enough people signing up as replacements for 7-9 player games that we can justify going over 10.

TOWK, I agree. The quote is fun, but the space is perfect for micro news updates and getting people to click on our little box. TOWK for section admin? Is that a thing?

I think the mini mafia thing we had going on a while back is perfect for newbie games. We just have to make certain that only one mini mafia is ever active at once to avoid the activity disaster that happened last time.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:17 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
TOWK wrote:
kb wrote:
I had an idea for a Pokémon UPick (probably limited to Gen I or I and II only) but I'm not a very organised person and probably wouldn't be a good mod, so if anyone wants to take that idea then they can

I figured people would easily see that I was mafia simply because I was so opposed to Semicolon's plan

Anyway I won't complain about this too much, I'll just look past it and enjoy the next game

I could host a Pokemon UPick. I'd like making roles for that. If I do do that, would you guys want it to be a more creative setup or a more standard game? I wouldn't make anything broken, promise.

Pokemon Upicks can go in a lot of interesting directions, so I'd be down. One that I've had in mind for a long time is having each type correspond to a kind of ability. For example, electric types could all be related to redirecting actions and water types could all be related to protecting people. There could be a public list for what each type corresponds to, so players know what they're getting into when choosing their starter. Type combos could make for some really interesting roles, for example, Rotom-Wash's ability could be an x-shot active where on nights when he activates it, anyone who targets him is protected against kills, but he can also redirect all abilities pointed at him towards a single other player.

We don't necessarily have to go with that approach, but I personally think it would be cool, and would provide us with both the fun of a closed setup while ensuring that none of the abilities are too crazy because their types are predetermined. We could even have the whole community contribute to the type -> ability list.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm
Site Moderator

The only problem with that is there are so many types and not so many kinds of roles. I also feel like if its like Fire = Killing roles everyone would pick fire

AMA

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:01 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: Chaconne
TOWK wrote:
The only problem with that is there are so many types and not so many kinds of roles. I also feel like if its like Fire = Killing roles everyone would pick fire

While these could definitely be issues, I don't think they have to be.

If several people help, I'm convinced that we could come up with creative and unique role kinds for every type. If need be, we can use the Gen 1 type list.

As for Fire types, killing roles would be too swingy of course, but I think we can still make them offensive. One possibility would be to make Fire types have executioner-type roles.

Again, I don't want to force this idea, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If you'd prefer to do something else TOWK, that's fine by me.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:51 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
Terra wrote:
(the wooly lynch day 1 was pretty frightening for him and probably turned him off the game).

I didn't enter this game because I was away when it started. I play Mafia IRL mostly, but it was a little annoying.

Newbie games do sound good.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:10 pm

MGN Username: Pach
TOWK wrote:

One way we could do a Pokemon U-Pick is that everyone gets like a different type and they have to choose a Pokemon of that type.

That way roles come out unique and whatnot.

Just a suggestion though.

Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:15 pm

I'll be putting up the 5P Vengeful shortly once I think of a good name lol

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 pm
Site Moderator

Ok, if everyone's cool with a Pokemon UPick I can host and make the thread today. We can discuss specifics of how to make the setup in that thread. I do like the idea of every type having certain types of abilities so we'll discuss that as a group and try to make it work. I think we should stick with Gen 1 though, if only to have less types to think of. If we end up doing really well with it and having extra ideas we can add Dark/Steel/Fairy later.

AMA

Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Did we all die

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:51 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: CSWooly
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright, SSF2, SSB4, League of Legends.
kb wrote:
Did we all die

This.

The 5P Vengeful got nobody.

Click to expand thumbnail

SSF2 Backroom Character Analyst and Labber

Mains: :lucario: :simon:

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:53 pm
Site Moderator

I put in the mafia skype when I was sick for someone else to make the Pokemon UPick topic and no one did. I've also been busy with school. If anyone wants to go ahead and make the topic you can, but I might be able to get to it this Sunday otherwise

AMA

Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:18 pm

So uhh

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:50 pm
 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next