The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:18 pm

[ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
JB's Sprite gallery 

JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Reix wrote:
JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Well that was the point. I love his style. Particularly his work on the Scott Pilgrim game.

As is 'I immediately recognized the first one's pose being carbon copied from Stephen.' I took both sprites and overlayed, and it looks like you just recolored one of the idle frames for the Cheetahman Dog Guy, and likely the same goes for the rest.

Errrm, no. I did recolor edit a frame from Stephen's idle as a base for my doggy friend, but the rest of the characters are 100% custom. And I'm going to make custom animations for every single one of them anyway. And even so, there's nothing wrong with using someone else's work as inspiration. It's not like people don't make characters using MvC/Street Fighter, JUS, or even Sonic style.

Inspiration yes, stealing no. I'd recommend redoing Dog in an inspired rather than copied pose.

Commission info - http://reiforce.deviantart.com/journal/

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Reix wrote:
JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Reix wrote:
JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Well that was the point. I love his style. Particularly his work on the Scott Pilgrim game.

As is 'I immediately recognized the first one's pose being carbon copied from Stephen.' I took both sprites and overlayed, and it looks like you just recolored one of the idle frames for the Cheetahman Dog Guy, and likely the same goes for the rest.

Errrm, no. I did recolor edit a frame from Stephen's idle as a base for my doggy friend, but the rest of the characters are 100% custom. And I'm going to make custom animations for every single one of them anyway. And even so, there's nothing wrong with using someone else's work as inspiration. It's not like people don't make characters using MvC/Street Fighter, JUS, or even Sonic style.

Inspiration yes, stealing no. I'd recommend redoing Dog in an inspired rather than copied pose.

Well I respect your opinion, but it's not stealing unless you take full credit for it or try to literally sell it as your work. I took a sprite of Stephen Stills, distorted, recolored and edited over it and then turned it into a base sprite my character. I acknowledge that, and don't claim otherwise. If Paul Robertson has a problem with it then I will gladly change the pose into something completely original..

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:02 pm

This honestly took a bit longer than I thought it would:

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
I don't know what you plan to use it for but it lacks thoroughly in both range and personality.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Currently Playing: Ball Breaker with your sister. it's a real game...
Looks good but how about a left punch.

Over sized attacks that take up too much range. My long time complaint about SSF2. Did I find the source?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 am

Steven wrote:
I don't know what you plan to use it for but it lacks thoroughly in both range and personality.

It's funny you mention personality considering this game will be crawling with it. Though this particular animation doesn't really need personality. It's the most basic attack for the most basic character. The fact that he's a dog won't be ignored throughout the rest of his moveset though, trust me. But I will give it a little more range.

luckycrime wrote:
Looks good but how about a left punch.

Over sized attacks that take up too much range. My long time complaint about SSF2. Did I find the source?

Don't understand what you mean.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Site Moderator

JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Steven wrote:

It's funny you mention personality considering this game will be crawling with it. Though this particular animation doesn't really need personality. It's the most basic attack for the most basic character. The fact that he's a dog won't be ignored throughout the rest of his moveset though, trust me. But I will give it a little more range.

Technically it would be the best if every animation conveyed personality, but if you're confident the rest of the game can handle it (which is not neccesarily bad) then everything's all okay.

A paw swipe would've been cooler imo, but that takes away from his martial aspect, so what you did was good.

what's the story about Dog-gi anyway?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Steven wrote:
Technically it would be the best if every animation conveyed personality, but if you're confident the rest of the game can handle it (which is not neccesarily bad) then everything's all okay.

Yeah, the concept of the game is pretty much built around unconventionality.

Steven wrote:
A paw swipe would've been cooler imo, but that takes away from his martial aspect, so what you did was good.

A paw swipe is definitely going to one his moves. Gameplay wise, he's supposed to be somewhat of a parody of Ryu mixed with the personality of a dog. So he'll have martial arts as well as doggy style fighting moves.

Steven wrote:
what's the story about Dog-gi anyway?

Posted it in another forum, but I'll post it here as well.....

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 pm

... The main idea behind Rumble Jungle is that all of the characters are animals, or rather, anthropomorphic animals (furries I guess). The idea came from the fact that if you think about it, animals really have some neat abilities and it'd be cool to see those abilities reflected (and exaggerated a bit) in a fighting game. The characters aren't straight up animals though, they have unique human personalities mixed in with their animal personalities. A lot of inspiration came from Scott Pilgrim (Which is the sprite style I'm using) and Punch-Out!! Wii (Which inspired the structure).

In the single player mode the structure will be very similar to Punch-Out!! in that there will be either 4 or 5 "circuits" where you'll have to fight 5 characters (with the fifth being the champion of that level), before advancing to the next level. You only have 2 characters unlocked from the start to use in both single player and vs. mode, and after each win in the single player mode you unlock a new character to use in vs. mode. After the entire game is beaten you have the option to use any character in single player mode.

The button layout will be the same as MvC3. The sprite style is the same sprite style used by Paul Robertson in the Scott Pilgrim game. Since the characters have such wild personalities I definitely want to have voice acting. I'll give more info as time goes on, but that's the gist of it. For now here's a peak at 5 of the characters.

Name: Hank
Animal Type: Dog/Golden Retriever
Fighting style: Karate moves; typical canine attacks
Abilities/Weapons: Basic abilities of common dog
Circuit: N/A
Description: Hank is a country, domesticated golden retriever who's spent his life training in martial arts. He's never been outside of his home and wants desperately to get out and explore the wild, particularly to join the Rumble Jungle fighting competition, which he watches on TV any time it's on. He's a little rough around the edges, but he's one dog that you can never keep down. He's one of the only characters available from the start of the game.

Name: Mike
Animal Type: Squirrel
Fighting style: Throws opponents off balance
Abilities/Weapons: Great balance and reflexes
Circuit: First
Description: Mike is a sleazy, fast-talking squirrel who picks a lot of fights with opponents much bigger than he is. This fearless furball joined Rumble Jungle to prove that size doesn't matter in a fight. He's currently ranked #4 in the first circuit.

Name: Bucky
Animal Type: Beaver
Fighting style: Heavy swings
Abilities/Weapons: Strong flat tail; Uses an assortment of wood
Description: Bucky is a lumberjack native to the location of the first circuit in Rumble Jungle. He decided to join to see what all the fuss was about. He's a master with wood, so when you see it in his hands it's best to play it safe. he's currently ranked #3 in the first circuit.

Name: Spike
Animal Type: Porcupine
Fighting style: Viscious
Abilities/Weapons: Body covered in spines
Description: Spike is a stoner porcupine who spends most of his time alone. He has anger issues and decided to join Rumble Jungle as an alternative outlet to let off steam. He has a body covered in sharp spines that he uses when he feels outmatched. Watch out. he's currently ranked #2 in the first circuit.

Name: Mimi
Animal Type: Skunk
Fighting style: Graceful; flexible
Abilities/Weapons: Long tail; Skunk stink
Description: Mimi is a former stripper who was unhappy with her life and decided to join Rumble Jungle to make something of it. She's very sassy and street smart, and also very feminine. Don't let her seductive charm fool you though, this is one tail you don't want to chase. She's currently ranked #1 in the first circuit.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:57 pm
Site Moderator

Some animals do indeed have cool abilities. Consider the nautilus; this piece of art lets water flow into the rooms of it's shell so it gets heavier and therefore sinks (letting the water flow out makes it lighter again so it can rise in water). How f*** genious is that? What a desgin!

A nautilus should be playable.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

Steven wrote:
Some animals do indeed have cool abilities. Consider the nautilus; this piece of art lets water flow into the rooms of it's shell so it gets heavier and therefore sinks (letting the water flow out makes it lighter again so it can rise in water). How f#%$& genious is that? What a desgin!

If you make the Nautilus yourself then I promise I'll put it into the game.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:11 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Steven wrote:
Some animals do indeed have cool abilities. Consider the nautilus; this piece of art lets water flow into the rooms of it's shell so it gets heavier and therefore sinks (letting the water flow out makes it lighter again so it can rise in water). How f#%$& genious is that? What a desgin!

Does this mean that any high-quality sprite maker could send something in to you, and you would consider it?

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

King Arthur wrote:
JB-the-Hunter wrote:
Steven wrote:

Does this mean that any high-quality sprite maker could send something in to you, and you would consider it?

Sure, I don't want to make this game alone. Then again, it depends on how close whatever was sent in matches up with the game's "standard."

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:17 pm
Site Moderator

If you truly want to represent how cool animals can be, then I suggest adding more variety in the mix; right now most of them are rodent-like stuff. Birds, reptiles, cats, fish, throw 'em all in the mix.

A boxing kangaroo, a chameleon who copies moves, a c*** that can use his tail as a shield/fan/sword, a cat burglar

just to name some ideas

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Steven wrote:
If you truly want to represent how cool animals can be, then I suggest adding more variety in the mix; right now most of them are rodent-like stuff. Birds, reptiles, cats, fish, throw 'em all in the mix.

That's because this group of characters consists of only the first round of fighters.

Steven wrote:
A boxing kangaroo, a chameleon who copies moves, a c#%$& that can use his tail as a shield/fan/sword, a cat burglar

just to name some ideas

Already planing on including a chameleon and a cat. As well as a ram, a snake, a jackrabbit, an eagle and many others that I don't want to reveal yet. One of the joys of Punch-Out!! (Which is where a lot of the inspiration for this game comes from) is the intrigue and mystery of facing your next opponent. I want to keep most of the later characters a mystery.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 pm
 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next