The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 9:36 pm

[ 11 posts ] 
HalfwayBeretProductions Presents Scott Pilgrim The Audiobook 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFjno0IZ ... e=youtu.be
My first video, both under my new title as Halfway Beret Productions and after years of attempts on and off to put together audio projects. Me and my cast will be adapting the entire, six volume Scott Pilgrim series to audiobook format, free for listening to any and all! Critique is welcome, thoughts are welcome, let me know what you think of my newest endeavor!

Chapter 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WAIqFylg

Last edited by Ziku on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:29 pm

pfft ahahahahaha

Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Currently Playing: SFV-FI: Shenanigans
let's all laugh.

(This is the only recorded instance of this happening)

Term wrote:
i am a huge advocate of your right to whine like a b****

Kuro Kagami wrote:
i have problems with colors

i mean i have problems in general but colors tend to be a recurring issue

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
Lay off you guys.

What inspired you to start this project, Ziku?

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:58 pm

Ramsey wrote:
What inspired you to start this project, Ziku?

I'd always wanted to do something related to voice acting, but hard as I tried I never managed to really get anything off the ground. I was sick in bed in my dorm at one point when I got thinking about those old hopes and ideas again and happened to notice my collection of Scott Pilgrim comics nearby. Always loved the story, the humor, action and at times the raw realness of it. I was a fan of the movie, but didn't think it did the comics justice, and decided maybe I should try giving them their due.

It technically started almost a year ago now. There is a royal load of footage all saved on my PC, but there have been crucial parts missing (mostly due to taking forever to cast Scott and then getting a Scott who is, understandably, very busy). But now we're finally on a real releasing schedule. One new chapter of Volume 1 will be released once a week on Thursdays, a 2-4 week pause after each book ends, then rinse and repeat for the next book.

So expect Chapter 1 on Thursday

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Currently Playing: SFV-FI: Shenanigans
I mean, it's a nice idea Ziku, I wish you well and all, but...me personally, I didn't enjoy it much, doesn't mean it's bad though.
Keep it up :).

(This is the only recorded instance of this happening)

Term wrote:
i am a huge advocate of your right to whine like a b****

Kuro Kagami wrote:
i have problems with colors

i mean i have problems in general but colors tend to be a recurring issue

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:20 am

Cactus wrote:
I mean, it's a nice idea Ziku, I wish you well and all, but...me personally, I didn't enjoy it much, doesn't mean it's bad though.
Keep it up :).

You're just fine in those thoughts man, but so I know how to make itt better, couldya tell me why you didn't like it?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am

MGN Username: Tid
Currently Playing: Deep™ The™ Game™
well for starters you still have spikeman and blade in your signature

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:02 am

Currently Playing: ...SuperSmashFlash2?
A few things I can think of.

1) The audio quality is ok, but inconsistent. You should try to get all of the vocals to be about the same level ("Scott" in particular seems to get close to the mic a couple of times. Also, you may notice clicking in a few places (such as 2:32)...you should crossfade those away, as they're caused by any lingering sound when you make a cut to an audio clip.

2) I'd recommend not using the overly dramatic announcer voice for the transitions. It really takes the listener out of the setting.

3) I assume you use the ambience to set the mood for the different locations, which is a good idea, but they're too loud. If people are listening to an audiobook, they're generally going to be wanting to hear it for the content and conversations, less for being tossed into whatever the location is. A better method may be to try to figure out how to explain the locations via voiceover, similar to how books do. The bus especially was just too loud, and the vocals became overpowered at times by it.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:11 am

Xyless wrote:
A few things I can think of.

1) The audio quality is ok, but inconsistent. You should try to get all of the vocals to be about the same level ("Scott" in particular seems to get close to the mic a couple of times. Also, you may notice clicking in a few places (such as 2:32)...you should crossfade those away, as they're caused by any lingering sound when you make a cut to an audio clip.

2) I'd recommend not using the overly dramatic announcer voice for the transitions. It really takes the listener out of the setting.

3) I assume you use the ambience to set the mood for the different locations, which is a good idea, but they're too loud. If people are listening to an audiobook, they're generally going to be wanting to hear it for the content and conversations, less for being tossed into whatever the location is. A better method may be to try to figure out how to explain the locations via voiceover, similar to how books do. The bus especially was just too loud, and the vocals became overpowered at times by it.

I shall take all but the second into great consideration, thank you. I'm still learning how to use audacity and figuring all the tricks and the like. Plus I'm pretty jaded to the sound due to all the times I have heard it, thanks much.

The marrator stays because Manwithoutabody is already a Canadian entity on Youtube with a lot of name power. Also recording with him was too much fun =P.

Tid wrote:
well for starters you still have spikeman and blade in your signature

Even if I were to change my signature Blade and Spikeman would still be in it, rest assured

Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 am

Chapter 1 released- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WAIqFylg
Elvisditto saves my a** by filling in a tiny part

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 am
 [ 11 posts ]