The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
[MP] Review A Game 

MGS2 isn't hard to understand at all though

Maybe you're just an idiot

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
You're playing a Metal Gear Solid game and complaining about the amount of cutscenes and their lenght? I don't think you did proper research before playing the game, MGS is not that hard to understand.

While Otacon's family issues were kinda out of the blue, it was a nice way to develop his character (especially since the developement is still apparent in Guns of the Patriots) but I do agree that during certain parts Otacon came across as very bipolar (especially the "I won't cry anymore" part after a complete breakdown and Snake yells at him to get his s*** together, but they do this in MGS1 and MGS4 as well)

Also I find it kind of ridiculous that you are mad at MGS2 having 'no extras', with nothing to do after you finish the game. Because a) this is not true; as you yourself mentioned there are plenty of odd unlockables and easter eggs to find on your second/further playthrough(s) and b) I'm not 100% what you were expecting of the game post-completion- an additional mini game mode or so? Because you pay for a Metal Gear Action tactical spionage game where you can play a story and you got that. Nothing less nothing more. New Game Plus is not the standard imo. It's like going to a really good movie and then complaining that there was nothing after the end credits.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:49 am
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
When you come to understand the depth of MGS2's plot, you'll fall in love with it. It's a very artsy kind of game. Matthewmatosis on Youtube did reviews for the whole series, I recommend you watch his videos on MGS1 and 2.

Also, I have no idea how old you are, but dismissing some of the game as "a crazy japanese guy's ramblings" is really naive. Remember that this game came out in 2001 -- the Internet was not nearly as huge then as it is now. One of the game's most prominent themes is information control, a theme that wasn't nearly as relevant in 2001 as it is in 2014. There are some lines in that game where I feel like Kojima outright predicted the world we'd live in today. I kind of suspect you aren't old enough to fully understand how much the world has changed since MGS2 released

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: ElvisDitto
MGS2 is very interesting in the MGS timeline because when you get to MGS4 you actually feel sorry for Solidus; seeing as he wanted to prevent the disastrous turn of events that happened in MGS4. It's really interesting.

(you can now tweet mean things at me on Twitter @StevenEggplant)

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
To be honest, Solidus was never wrong to begin with. o-other than the child soldiers thing, I mean

Fighting him was a formality

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Steven wrote:
You're playing a Metal Gear Solid game and complaining about the amount of cutscenes and their lenght? I don't think you did proper research before playing the game, MGS is not that hard to understand.

While Otacon's family issues were kinda out of the blue, it was a nice way to develop his character (especially since the developement is still apparent in Guns of the Patriots) but I do agree that during certain parts Otacon came across as very bipolar (especially the "I won't cry anymore" part after a complete breakdown and Snake yells at him to get his s#%$& together, but they do this in MGS1 and MGS4 as well)

Also I find it kind of ridiculous that you are mad at MGS2 having 'no extras', with nothing to do after you finish the game. Because a) this is not true; as you yourself mentioned there are plenty of odd unlockables and easter eggs to find on your second/further playthrough(s) and b) I'm not 100% what you were expecting of the game post-completion- an additional mini game mode or so? Because you pay for a Metal Gear Action tactical spionage game where you can play a story and you got that. Nothing less nothing more. New Game Plus is not the standard imo. It's like going to a really good movie and then complaining that there was nothing after the end credits.

well, other MGS games have much less cutscenes overall. and they dont lose quality for it. it sometimes just seems to cut the action. as for the otacon part, yes, it does develop him as a character... but that story could have been said in about 15 minutes, not 40 =.= besides, it can get so depressing. damn that paraqueet. as for the extras, i maybe could have explained myself better, but... you know... most games have SOMETHING. mgs3 has boss run, at least. a good deal of great games (games of similar quality) do indeed have extra modes, for instance God of War, which i also would consider a quality game. i know, theyre different types of game, but you get the idea. the thing about the extra easter eggs / unlockables, though, is that once you found a good part of them, you simply will not feel like going through all the campaign just to maaaaaybe find one somewhere. unless you're obsessed. after about 4 plays, at least, i dont feel like playing it again.

as for the credits, well... MGS2 is smewhat like a movie anyway ^^

TerminX wrote:
When you come to understand the depth of MGS2's plot, you'll fall in love with it. It's a very artsy kind of game. Matthewmatosis on Youtube did reviews for the whole series, I recommend you watch his videos on MGS1 and 2.

Also, I have no idea how old you are, but dismissing some of the game as "a crazy japanese guy's ramblings" is really naive. Remember that this game came out in 2001 -- the Internet was not nearly as huge then as it is now. One of the game's most prominent themes is information control, a theme that wasn't nearly as relevant in 2001 as it is in 2014. There are some lines in that game where I feel like Kojima outright predicted the world we'd live in today. I kind of suspect you aren't old enough to fully understand how much the world has changed since MGS2 released

please keep in mind that when i said that i meant to say that some people might get the wrong idea. not that thats what i think. you cant deny it has quite a share of conspiracy plots in it. but the fact that Kojima pretty much predicted the future is, indeed, one of the main reasons i dont consider the plot to be bad. it is just confusing, at times, with tons of plot twists. too many plot twists, and you can either get a really outstanding story, or leave everyone scraching its head.

Others claim, it is half empty.

I, personally, Claim Nothing.

Instead, i Ask:

WHO THE %&(%/))% DRANK HALF OF MY BEER??!

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
Stick It To the Man!

You've heard of Psychonauts. This is not a question, or a poll, but a statement of fact. You're on the internet, therefore you are aware of people's collective hard-on for Tim Schafer and his mind-bending platformer. Now, if you were to take Psychonauts, and combine it with the comedy writing of webcomics author Ryan North and elements of Paper Mario, you would end up with Stick It To the Man!, a puzzle platformer in the vein of classic adventure games. Unfortunately, all these things still have their flaws. And the Paper Mario game happens to be Sticker Star.

Story
The story follows Ray, a friendly loser with a steady girlfriend and a cartoonishly dangerous job, which all things considered, is still better off than the traditional comedy game protagonist. While walking home from work, he gets hit in the cranium with a metal canister, and wakes up with a psychic hand sprouting from his head. People think he's crazy when he tries to explain this to them, but at the same time, he's being hunted by government agents who want whatever was in that canister out of his brain. Society wants him committed. The Man wants him dead. Ray just wants answers.

It's not an especially unique story by any means, largely cookie cutter, but like all comedy games, the writing was saved for the characters. Society brings a hammer down on anyone seen as less than normal, but at the same time, nobody's normal at all. One woman judges the men she has relationships with purely on the quality of their teeth. One man prefers to spend time with a crocodile than with his wife and children. Is this state of events supposed to be symbolic? Probably, but I've never cared about that kind of thing.

The writing itself is incredibly hit-and-miss, with some jokes leaving me straight-faced and others garnering a good chuckle. Very few jokes were laugh-out-loud funny, but then, not many games are. It's not a bad thing in itself if your jokes don't bring down the house, but it's still dangerous if they don't make you laugh at all. Ray spends a bit too much time explaining what just happened, and many of the jokes follow the classic template of "I have a very muted reaction to this situation, as bizarre as it may be." Fortunately, gems do exist; for instance, a man trapped in the trunk of a gangster car only regrets that he didn't spend more time playing Silver Surfer on the NES.

Gameplay
Stick It To the Man! is a platformer at heart, with large, mostly linear maps filled with people to help with their problems. Since in real life, people don't talk to random strangers about their problems, and since you do have a giant telepathic arm sticking out of your head, the solution becomes using stickers, hence the Sticker Star comparison. Since everyone lives in a paper and cardboard world, it's all too easy to peel away the fourth wall from any buildings you might see, rip objects off their original place and slap them elsewhere, and even pull people's thoughts out of their bubbles and use them to solve someone else's troubles.

Now, if you know anything about videogames, you'll realize what the problem is with this: without dialogue options, it's not an adventure game, it's a fetch quest. To save the guy stuck in a trunk, you need to first get rid of the gangsters guarding it; you do that by giving an elderly dog a sharp pair of crocodile teeth. You get those crocodile teeth by luring out the croc with a human arm, which you get from a chef for completing his recipe, which you do by stealing a puddle of tears from a guy's thoughts. It sounds weird, but it's just a linear path, where you complete each assignment in a set order to progress. Tears > Arm > Teeth > Gangsters. Hope you like walking around a bunch.

When you're not solving people's problems, you're trying to evade your own, in the form of FBI agents hunting you down. These sequences are kept in isolated segments, typically in between puzzle solving; you're leaving your first batch of puzzles, and before you get to your next batch you've got to avoid capture by a team of goons. Getting caught, plus the occasional bottomless pit, is the only way to die, but fortunately there are quick respawn checkpoints scattered all over the place. You can use your psychic powers to distract the agents as well, by planting the idea of sleep in their heads or by grabbing an image of you from their minds and attaching it to an agent's face. It's an amusing change of pace, repetitive as it may be.

Also, you can't skip cutscenes. That's a bit of a grievance, especially if you need to replay a level for 100% completion. The game does have achievements, for accomplishing certain feats, for reading plenty of minds and such. If that's your cup of tea, you'll spend plenty of time on this one.

Overall
Stick It To the Man! is a fairly unique game, and worth experiencing one way or another. Note that I said "experience," not necessarily "play"; you'd get approximately as much out of playing the game yourself as you would from watching a playthrough online. It's linear, with little to no opportunities for alternative paths or playthroughs. It's the game company's first attempt at a non-iOS game, and Ryan North's first time writing for a video game, but so far, I have high hopes for their futures in the industry.

7/10 (And that is a good 7/10. That is above average. You should check this game out.)

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 pm

MGN Username: CSGD
Currently Playing: Geometry Dash,SSF2
Waifu: Hamakaze
Gran Turismo 2

My first played game ever.This game is created by Polyphon Digital and licensed by Sony computer entertainment.This game is based on real-life cars and courses.The game has three CD types:the whole game,simulation mode and arcade mode(not the whole mode in there CD)

go and hate me on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5ZMno3vgK9qmnwtQ6peMQ

discord account you can hack everytime: Kappaya#8461

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:20 pm

SteveTheGuy wrote:
Gran Turismo 2

[ Image ]

My first played game ever.This game is created by Polyphon Digital and licensed by Sony computer entertainment.This game is based on real-life cars and courses.The game has three CD types:the whole game,simulation mode and arcade mode(not the whole mode in there CD)

How is this a review in any way? You haven't told us what's good or bad about the game or if it's even good or not.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 pm

MGN Username: CSGD
Currently Playing: Geometry Dash,SSF2
Waifu: Hamakaze
Sorry,but in the game aren't so what special.

go and hate me on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5ZMno3vgK9qmnwtQ6peMQ

discord account you can hack everytime: Kappaya#8461

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:36 pm

SteveTheGuy wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't speak bad grammar. Image

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Currently Playing: UNIST
Dᴇᴠᴏɴ wrote:
SteveTheGuy wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't speak bad grammar. Image

sorry you're not from germany?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:52 pm
YIM

Currently Playing: Apple
Waifu: Apple
i got stick it to the man last night and finally played it today and i say that your review is spot on Rapty

I AM APPLE

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 pm

PufferMaw wrote:
i got stick it to the man last night and finally played it today and i say that your review is spot on Rapty

Actually, small correction to the review: you can in fact skip cutscenes by holding backspace. Or on a controller, holding Back.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 am

MGN Username: TheRealHeroOfWinds
The game isn't in 3D kids.

Story: The story is like any Mario game. Bowser kid naps a princ- Wow. He kidnaps fairies. Or pixies. I have no idea what they are... Sprixies? So Bowser pops out of this pipe and steals a Sprixie and your game starts off. You run around the land of Sprixie Kingdom. Going through levels like normal. And this is how your story starts off.

Gameplay: The gameplay is very Super Mario 3D Land like. (Hence the name.) You have your roll back along with the new cat bell power up, bullet box, double cherry, and a light box. The cat power up is very easy to control, and can be fun at times. The bullet box makes me feel a lot like Mega Man. You charge up your shot and fire just like the Mega Buster. The double cherry makes a clone of you. Used for countless puzzles. The light box is just a simple light that kills ghosts.

You also can choose your character! Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina! Each character has a special attribute. Mario is all around. Luigi jumps higher. Peach has her float. Toad runs faster. Rosalina has her spin. I would say start as Mario and play as Toad if you think you have mastered these controls.

You may also play as Captain Toad in puzzle stages. You cannot jump but only walk/run. (Basically The Legend of Toad.) If you try to jump he... air humps? After you collect all green stars you exit the level.

And then you have this thing.
Plessie: show
Plessie the dinosaur. He is used in water levels. Also known as the Mario 64 slide levels. Which I found quite fun. Also dat music. (Find that song at the music section.)

Levels: The levels are very Super Mario 3D Land like. (Hence the name.) But they have much more variety in my opinion. They have so much more detail. It's so beautiful to look at. There is not much to say here except for play Super Mario 3D Land to understand this.

Final Boss: Spoiler time! You fought through Bowser on a car. You fought through Boom Boom and Pom Pom. But now you fight Bowser in a car again. After you beat him you get brought to another world and go through the levels again and fight him once again. But what is so special? He gets a cat bell! Also the double cherry. You beat him to the top and hit a giant POW block over and over again until he is defeated.

Special Worlds It's not a Mario game without a special world! But this time you work backwards. Starting at star ending at crown. After you beat Star - 2 you unlock Rosalina. Which is ironically enough call 'Super Galaxy.'

Music:

Now there were only a few songs I liked. Which is sad.

YouTube Video:

YouTube Video:

Final Score: 9/10

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 pm
 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next