The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 8:53 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST YOUR OWN UNFINISHED GAMES YOU'VE CREATED HERE!

To post about your own projects go here: viewforum.php?f=41

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
[G] Platfighting games 

Which do you prefer?
Traditional fighting games 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Platfighting games 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
I don't pick favorites 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14

[G] Platfighting games 
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
..This doesn't exactly deserve a [MP], since it's about multiple games that have nothing to do with each other, it's more of a genre, honestly. (Which would earn a [G] or [GE] on its own)

Anyways, this topic is for discussing "SM4SH BROS RIPOFFS", or at the very least, games that involve fighting on platforms, like in the SSB series, albeit with different gameplay mechanics (You can also put blatant ripoffs here, too). If a game is big enough, like Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, it obviously gets its own topic, but certain games, like Dream Mix TV World Fighters, which I still wish was localized, get tossed to the side, and don't exactly deserve their own topic.

I dunno, I might just put a list of the platfighting games I know of here, they're usually fun to try out.

Last edited by >Andy on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 am

Currently Playing: with power. Nintendo power.
Way back when, I played Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL. Beat the final boss, unlocked every character, and then went through each and every one of them to figure out their movesets. This was back before the expansions forum was phased out, so I included a full explanation of all their moves as well as my personal evaluation of how good the movesets were. (Not very good.)

Aku: show
Neutral B: Aku fires eye lasers across the floor.
Side B: Aku turns into a boar and runs across the stage. It's a dash attack, basically, like Luigi's dash. Get used to seeing a lot of these.
Up B: He turns into an octopus, launches himself into the air, and spins his tentacles around.
Down B: Turns into a scorpion, attacks three times with both claws and his stinger
Final Smash: Aku turns into his dragon form, and starts spitting fire all around himself.
Also to note: Aku transforms into a bat to jump, and has four or five jumps.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5

Ben 10: show
Neutral B: Ben turns into Swampfire, then throws two fireballs.
Side B: Ben turns into Humongousaur and does a shoulder charge.
Up B: Ben turns into Big Chill, flies into the air, and throws icicles down below.
Down B: He turns into AmpFibian and electrifies himself.
Final Smash: Ben turns into Ultimate Humongousaur and fires his gatling gun knuckles around himself.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3/5. It's not terrible, but it could be a hundred times better.

Billy and Mandy: show
Neutral B: Billy sneezes, the snot becomes a projectile.
Side B: They throw Irwin, who then explodes.
Up B: Mandy spins Billy around, they go upward.
Down B: A portal to the underworld opens behind them, and two skeletal hands come out, one on each side. In the game, they just hurt anyone who touches them. That can be changed, as it's pretty boring.
Final Smash. Both Billy and Mandy turn into their Karate Master forms from Chickenball Z, and then dash about Kat & Ana style.

Raptor's moveset rating: 2/5.

Blossom: show
Neutral B: Blossom spits her ice breath out in a steady stream.
Side B: She dashes, Fox Illusion style.
Up B: For a short while, Blossom has complete movement control in any direction while flying.
Down B: Blossom sends a bolt of lightning down to strike in front of her. Did she ever do that in the show?
Final Smash: Blossom realizes that since she can fly and she can breathe ice, she should just do both at the same time. Full movement, and she keeps on breathing ice.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5.

Bubbles: show
Neutral B: Bubbles lets out a sonic scream, which hits multiple times with short ranges shock waves. Stupidly long startup lag.
Side B: Another f*** dash attack. It's identical to Blossom's, even.
Up B: Blossom flies up into the air a short distance, then shoots three eye lasers diagonally down. She can move side to side while shooting lasers.
Down B: She spins around at tornado speed and that hurts.
Final Smash: Like Blossom, she flies around, but she shoots eye lasers instead of ice.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3.5/5. I like her neutral and up, I really do, but that side is just a horrible cop out. The Sonic Scream lag ought to be reduced a bit.

Buttercup: show
Neutral B: Buttercup rubs her hands together until the friction creates a fireball, which she then throws. It's technically chargeable, but for some reason, it doesn't look any different. f*** be lazy.
Side B: She does a roll, which she then chains into a midair kick barrage. Incredibly, not a dash attack.
Up B: Her up special is literally Ken's Shoryuken, fire and all. No fancy turn, though, so it's really just a plain old fire uppercut.
Down B: Jumps up and slams back down into the ground. When used in the air, she goes right to the slam.
Final Smash: Fire punches are what separate her final smash from the other two girls'. Interestingly, Buttercup is the first girl you start with, and the other two are unlocked, meaning the other two final smashes are really just ripoffs of Buttercup's.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5. The best and most original of the three, even if half of it is literally just Street Fighter.

Captain Knuckles: show
Neutral B: The captain jumps backward, and a sand sculpture of himself replaces the spot where he was a moment ago. If the sculpture is attacked or touched, it breaks instantly, but anyone who touches it gets stunned. For some reason, attacking it directly doesn't count as touching it in the game; that needs fixing.
Side B: He launches himself forward, corkscrew spin style.
Up B: Same as side B, but this time diagonally upward.
Down B: Ground pound!
Final Smash: Captain K'nuckles looks into the candy barrel, but it's empty, so he gets so mad he attacks it and then falls in, and then he explodes out and he's super angry. That is literally the move. Only the explosion deals damage. SO MUCH STARTUP LAG THE MOVE'S PRACTICALLY USELESS

Raptor's moveset rating: 1/5.

Captain Planet: show
Neutral B: Cap breathes out a Wind funnel, which deals damage.
Side B: He dashes forward surrounded in Fire.
Up B: Uses powerful jets of Water to propel himself upward.
Down B: He punches the Earth to deal damage around him.
Final Smash: Captain Planet creates one tornado of water and wind on the left, and a tornado of fire and earth on the right. The two come together, merge, trapping anyone who touches it, then explode with a rainbow and a large Heart.
Also to note: The cap gets three jumps.

Raptor's moveset rating: 5/5. Good representation of the powers combined, and the final smash is just beast. It's just too bad he appeared in this s*** game. And also that it's Captain Planet.

Chowder: show
Chowder has his pet fart, Kimchi, who he uses in some of his attacks. Yes, really.
Neutral B: Chowder throws Kimchi a short distance, where he explodes with stink and then comes back.
Side B: Chowder goes all Kirby and tries to suck up whoever's in front of him. He then spits them back out.
Up B: It's like this weird jumping spin attack. It's okay.
Down B: He throws Kimchi right below him, it blasts stink around itself.
Final Smash: Chowder eats a giant hot pepper, then spits out a huge fiery belch the size of the Zero Laser.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3.5/5. It represents the character well, but it doesn't make me like the character more. Or at all.

Dexter: show
Neutral B: Dexter fires a ball of energy with a generic laser gun. It's chargeable, like Buttercup's fireball, but there's no visual change, like Buttercup's fireball. f*** be lazy.
Side B: The boy genius ZAPs himself away, then ZAPs back in a good distance forward. The zapping in deals damage.
Up B: He flies upward using his propeller cap thingy. Controllable from side to side.
Down B: A satellite flies down and fires a laser at Dexter, filling him with energy, and hurting anyone who touches him. Then it flies away.
Final Smash: Dexter presses a button on a remote, which makes a robot fall from the sky. He then gets into the robot, and fires a massive Zero Laser across the stage.

Raptor's moveset rating: 5/5. That side special is f*** choice.

Father: show
Neutral B: He charges a fist with fire, then punches. Like a Falcon Punch, but minus the flashiness that makes the Falcon Punch worthwhile.
Side B: He slides across, with fire. Yes, it's another f*** dash attack.
Up B: It's a fire uppercut. Kinda like Buttercup's.
Down B: He throws both fists in front of him, and then shoots fire out Bowser style.
Final Smash: Father explodes with flame, and then shoots a fireball in the eight main directions.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5. You'd expect Father to have a projectile attack, but noooooo.

Flapjack: show
Neutral B: He throws peppermint candy. The candy's huge. It hurts.
Side B: He throws a candy cane, which works like a boomerang. Holy s***, it's not a dash attack.
Up B: He spins around, and then shoots himself into the air while spinning.
Down B: He bends over and giggles. If anyone attacks him, he tickles them, which hurts somehow.
Final Smash: Eight Armed Willy rises from the sea below him, and lashes out with a giant tentacle. Flapjack jumps over it, and the tentacle slams across the screen, for the third Zero Laser style move already on this list.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5. f*** it, it's generic but it works.

Grim: show
Neutral B: Grim swings his scythe down, creating a wave of evil energy shaped like its blade that flies forward.
Side B: An incredibly short-ranged scythe swing that has high knockback and enough vertical hitbox to hit someone on a platform directly above.
Up B: He jumps up with his scythe, then spins it around at the apex of the jump.
Down B: He brings his scythe down, and green death fire surrounds him in a large dome.
Final Smash: Grim slashes a hole to the underworld with his scythe, and damned souls flood out of it. In the game, they only go forward, and a set range too. That could easily be fixed so that they fly around in different directions.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5. At this point, I'm practically giving that score to any moveset that doesn't have a dash for the side special.

Him: show
Neutral B: Him's claw slips into a portal, then comes out of another portal snipping and snapping. The second portal always appears a given short distance from Him in the game.
Side B: Him turns into a giant scorpion-like monster with four claws, and lumbers forward hitting anyone who gets in the way. Works kinda like Luigi's dash attack.
Up B: Him turns into a butterfly, which doesn't hurt anyone, which is strange for Him, but is very versatile and can fly in any direction.
Down B: Him spins around in a tornado, Luigi style, right down to rising into the air in the end.
Final Smash: Him turns giant, then disappears into the sky. In the large levels of the game, Him stares down at the opponents from a giant portal that can move from side to side, and extends the claws down to attack. In smaller levels, Him's giant claw simply comes down and attacks.

Raptor's moveset rating: 5/5. Him is one of my personal favorite characters to play as.

Hoss Delgado: show
Neutral B: Hoss attaches a chainsaw to his robot wrist, then shoots it out.
Side B: He jumps forward with a chainsaw attached to his wrist, then slashes with it.
Up B: He jumps up into the air, then throws ninja stars in all eight directions.
Down B: He jumps up and throws a land mine down, which explodes on contact with the ground or anyone it hits. They couldn't code it to stick, I guess.
Final Smash: Hoss Delgado gets all the chainsaws. ALL THE CHAINSAWS. He shoots them all over the place. You can control him, but you can't control the chainsaw shooting.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5. Pretty cool. Suffers from trying so hard to be awesome that it's stupid, but then again, that's Hoss Delgado for you.

Johnny Bravo: show
Neutral B: He throws a comb. For some reason, the comb is huge, and it hurts.
Side B: His motorcycle appears behind him, and he jumps on it and rides it forward a short while.
Up B: He dashes diagonally upward.
Down B: He unleashes a three-hit punch and kick combo. Kinda like Aku, I guess.
Final Smash: Johnny Bravo sees a group of young ladies, and to impress them, he dashes and attacks all over the place. It's admittedly within an enclosed area, but still, it's like Kat and Ana attacking all over in a space the size of Gardevoir's Barrier.
IMPORTANT: When using his neutral aerial attack (his melee move, not his special move), Johnny Bravo attacks by taking a "French Girls" pose in midair with an aura of flair. This is beautiful.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5. The only thing keeping him from a perfect score is his stupid projectile attack. Just give him a strong punch, make it look like he's flexing. That'd be cool.

Kevin Levin: show
Neutral B: Kevin turns into... electricity, I guess, and hits anyone near him.
Side B: He turns into stone and cartwheels forward.
Up B: His arms turn into knives, and he spins upward.
Down B: He turns into crystal, slams the ground, and crystal spikes grow out.
Final Smash: Kevin turns into Ultimate Kevin. In this form, he has three moves: he can either throw three fireballs, hit enemies with a giant vine arm, or summon a giant crystal that covers his entire body.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3/5, the most generic score for the most generic moveset.

Mac and Bloo: show
Neutral B: Mac throws Bloo forward with the range and the force of a generic super punch.
Side B: Bloo is hurled further this time, bouncing across the stage like a ball and then coming back. Probably not codable in SSF2...
Up B: The two jump into the air, then do a series of punches.
Down B: They each pull out a paddle ball, and attack on both sides with them.
Final Smash: Bloo turns into Bloonan the Barbarian and electrocutes anyone nearby with sick electric guitar skills. Yep.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3.5/5. It's pretty interesting, I'll give it that. Might be tough to code though, what with SSF2 being a sad piece of s***.

Mojo Jojo: show
Neutral B: Mojo Jojo fires two blasts with two laser guns. It functions exactly the same as Ben's Swampfire move. Just roll with it.
Side B: A-nother f*** dash attack. It's headfirst, if that means anything to you.
Up B: He flies up with rocket boots, then throws a potion down beneath him that explodes on contact.
Down B: He throws the exploding potion again, but no rocket boots this time.
Final Smash: Mojo Jojo drinks Chemical X and transforms into his giant monkey form. He slams the ground a few times, then turns back. Yep.

Raptor's moveset rating: 2.5/5. Come on, Mojo Jojo, you can simply, easily, and effortlessly create a moveset for fighting in combat with warriors that is creative, imaginative, anything but generic and boring and obvious. I am certain that you, Mojo Jojo, with your powerful mind, could create a moveset that is ideally fitted and suited to match an evil villain such as you, Mojo Jojo.

Monkey: show
Neutral B: He punches with psychic powers. What this means is that the fist is bigger and glows.
Side B: He spins forward with his tail spinning about and hitting people.
Up B: An upward jump and somersault with two glowy psychic punches.
Down B: He creates a psychic aura around him that hurts anyone who touches it.
Final Smash: Monkey is filled with psychic energy, and can fly around in any direction, quice quickly, hurting anyone he touches.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3.5/5. Not the most imaginative of sets, but you know, it's okay.

Numbah One: show
Neutral B: He shoots a barrage of gumballs with the G.U.M.Z.O.O.K.A.
Side B: A quick attack with the S.P.L.A.N.K.E.R. Short range, but hella powerful.
Up B: He flies upwards with the J.E.T.A.B.O.O.T.S.
Down B: He fires chili pepper spray straight downwards with the S.P.I.C.E.R.
Final Smash. Numbah 1 flies around with the J.E.T.A.B.O.O.T.S., spraying chili everywhere, which hurts and traps opponents. Then he fires two S.C.A.M.P.P.s, which detonate the chili spray.
Also to note: Because of his J.E.T.A.B.O.O.T.S., Numbah 1 gets four jumps.

Raptor's moveset rating: 3.5/5. I had more fun looking up the convoluted history behind all these weapons than actually using this moveset.

Samurai Jack: show
Neutral B: He slashes five times.
Side B: A dash attack.
Up B: He slashes upward, then slashes again while in the air.
Down B: A counter attack.
Final Smash: Samurai Jack dashes forward, going through enemies. Then he sheathes his sword, and then everyone he went through takes damage. You know that move, you've seen it before.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5. It's kinda boring, but only to the extent that Marth's moveset is boring.

The Scotsman: show
Neutral B: He fires a barrage forward with his machine gun leg.
Side B: He charges forward, and then brings his sword down a while later.
Up B: Three upward slashes with his sword, and he can be moved side to side while he slashes.
Down B: Ground pound.
Final Smash: The Scotsman plays the bagpipes, which stuns anyone nearby. Then his huge wife falls from the sky, smashing anyone she hits.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4.5/5.

The Toiletnator: show
Neutral B: He throws toilet paper. A whole roll of toilet paper. Think of the trees, man.
Side B: He uses a plunger as a pogo stick, and somehow this deals damage.
Up B: He swirls around in a water funnel, like the kind when you flush, and this rises him upwards.
Down B: He whips both sides with toilet paper from his wrists.
Final Smash: He summons a giant toilet, which creates multiple water flush funnels that travel across the stage, then gets sucked into one large water funnel, which he can control in any direction.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5. Gotta admit, that final smash is pretty hilariously awesome.

Vilgax: show
Neutral B: He fires eye lasers across the floor. If you don't remember, that is verbatim the same neutral B as Aku. f*** be lazy.
Side B: He spins his sword around in circles, chain attacking anyone it hits. At least it's not a dash attack.
Up B: He jumps up a short distance, then dashes diagonally forward and upward.
Down B: He draws his shield, which lets out a small wave that deflects projectiles and opponents.
Final Smash: Vilgax transforms into his true squid form and can fly around freely while attacking. Cheapest final smash? Cheapest final smash.

Raptor's moveset rating: 5/5. Say what you will, I like this set. It's fun.

Young Ben 10: show
Neutral B: Ben turns into Wildvine and throws two seed bombs.
Side B: Ben turns into XLR8. Is it a dash attack? Of course it's a f*** dash attack.
Up B: He turns into Heatblast, and lifts himself with a jet of flame.
Down B: He jumps into the air, turns into Cannonbolt, rolls into a ball and just rolls in place. What the hell?
Final Smash: Ben Tennyson turns into Four Arms, grabs a trailer van, rips it in half, and throws each half in a separate direction.

Raptor's moveset rating: 4/5. There was potential, but it was sorely missed. Cannonbolt's inability to move, for instance, but most noticeably, where the hell was Wildmutt?

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

I should warn you for that

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:44 am
Site Moderator

I don't know, I'm actually considering buying Punch Time Explosion XL, I know about that glitch that causes the game to lock up in adventure mode where you and your partner die at the exact same time, but I can get it for $12, maybe less, and it seems DECENT at least. That and all the KND and Samurai Jack nostalgia is probably worth the price

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 pm

It's really not a very good game. It's got embarrassingly floaty physics, like Brawl times 20, and some of its character options, as seen above, are just plain questionable (I'm looking at you, Toiletnator). And certain characters just dominate the metagame, like Buttercup and Johnny Bravo, who both have extremely spammable projectiles with hilarious knockback.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 pm

For $12 its not bad, especially if you have friends to fool around with. Main problem I have with the game is that the characters all feel like they play the same, and certain moves are really overpowered. There's too much of the same thing between them, and I find myself just using the strongest attack to win. Combos don't really exist.

Most of the stages are really neat, though, at least in concept. A few are subpar when you actually play them (Mojo's Tower only has upward KOs in a cramped environment making it not so fun, Bubby is essentially a closed-off small room with a tiny exit on the right), but great overall. The assists are cool as well, especially when you get the one that matches your character (When you get the right assist, you get a little cutscene and essentially get a second final smash involving a teamup. One example is if Him gets General Skarr, Him flies around carrying Skarr while he drops bombs on the stage).

But yeah, the main sell for the game is the nostalgia.

@Sir Raptor: Actually, the top character in the game is Aku, with shorthopped lasers and overpowered special moves. Projectiles aren't as big as you'd think. Blossom is at the top too because she's one of the few who can actually have good combos involving her freeze breath. Him is a good choice as well, with his 50%-dealing side special.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:23 pm
Site Moderator

Waifu: Trollbean
Lulu wrote:
(When you get the right assist, you get a little cutscene and essentially get a second final smash involving a teamup. One example is if Him gets General Skarr, Him flies around carrying Skarr while he drops bombs on the stage).

Oh wow. That's really neat, actually. I wouldn't mind seeing that in other "platfighters"

Side note: I'm pretty okay with the term Platfighters

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 pm
Site Moderator

I'll try and get my hands on a copy, then. The adventure mode actually looks somewhat better than Brawl's, because of how the stages aren't mostly generic, and the enemies actually have variation.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:46 pm

King Arthur wrote:
I'll try and get my hands on a copy, then. The adventure mode actually looks somewhat better than Brawl's, because of how the stages aren't mostly generic, and the enemies actually have variation.

Actually, the adventure mode is terrible for the most part. The bosses were decent enough I suppose, but most of the actual gameplay sucks. I think my main problem is that there actually isn't as much variety as you'd expect in the enemies and the nostalgia factor is mostly lost. Sure, the stages aren't 'generic', but it doesn't help the game much when you're flying through seemingly random construction areas being told it's Townsville. Also, they developers got lazy and just used the Vs stages in the story mode for the major encounters.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:55 pm
Site Moderator

Lulu wrote:
King Arthur wrote:

Actually, the adventure mode is terrible for the most part. The bosses were decent enough I suppose, but most of the actual gameplay sucks. I think my main problem is that there actually isn't as much variety as you'd expect in the enemies and the nostalgia factor is mostly lost. Sure, the stages aren't 'generic', but it doesn't help the game much when you're flying through seemingly random construction areas being told it's Townsville. Also, they developers got lazy and just used the Vs stages in the story mode for the major encounters.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

Also: For the 3 people other than me who remember it, I noticed during a video showing some of the cutscenes, that the KND treehouse artwork is actually reused concept art from Fusionfall.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Remember the one quick time event in the KND treehouse? The entire game has exactly one quick time event, and then the entire game just continues.

Also, I have no idea why, but whenever I fight the Toiletnator in story mode, he always manages to summon Numbah 2 as an assist. This means that a member of the KND is helping one of their opponents fight another member of the KND... while he's supposed to be flying the bus ship they're fighting on.

I just got Kid Icarus.
And it is ridicarus.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:25 pm
Site Moderator

Sir Raptor wrote:
Remember the one quick time event in the KND treehouse? The entire game has exactly one quick time event, and then the entire game just continues.

Also, I have no idea why, but whenever I fight the Toiletnator in story mode, he always manages to summon Numbah 2 as an assist. This means that a member of the KND is helping one of their opponents fight another member of the KND... while he's supposed to be flying the bus ship they're fighting on.

Video game logic is wonderful.

As for the Quick Time Events, I guess they were trying to go for each zone having a different feel, or something like that. Either that or the development was rushed along, which would also make sense.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Did someone say Platfighters?

Battle Stadium D.O.N (DBZ, One piece, Naruto)
Naruto ultimate ninja series (excluding the storm franchise)
A couple of Hitman Reborn DS titles
The Jump Star series
Digimon Rumble Arena 1 & 2
Small Arms
TMNT Smash-Up (From developers of Brawl)
Power Stone series
BlayzBloo Battle Royale

Trust me... There's more than Playstation All-stars battle royale, Smash Brothers and Cartoon Network punch time explosion when it comes to Platfighters...

Last edited by Michael on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm

Michael M wrote:
Bleach blade of fate
Bleach Dark souls

wat

those are traditional fighting games

are you retarded

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

King Kyuubit wrote:
Michael M wrote:
Bleach blade of fate
Bleach Dark souls

wat

those are traditional fighting games

are you retarded

Meh... Don't care really.

Reminded me of Smash Brothers with its multiplayer so i listed it as a platfighter. Guess it's not a platfighter so i guess i'll remove them from the list then :/

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Super Smash Bros. is a pretty fun game.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:35 pm
 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next