The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 pm

[ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next
Captain Falcon 
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Starkiller2 wrote:
Jammy wrote:
MrjetArtist wrote:
If you don't mind, can you guys critique my falcon too? http://youtu.be/peulNNL-HCc I feel I did pretty good in this match.

At a glance, you do well on:
Connecting knees.
Using tilts effectively.
Not SDing.(Falcon is hard to control sometimes.)
Recovering well.

Work on:
Sprinting all of the time. The attacks at 1:08 looked very slow and awkward, as well as some other points in the match. A better opponent would easily shield these attacks. Sprinting allows for better combos too!
Using grabs more. You hardly used grabs at all in these matches. Falcon's dthrow, fthrow and uthrow all lead to almost guaranteed aerials, and are great for setting up combos.
USE AERIALS MORE! Falcon's aerial game is crazy good. Use shorthop nair to approach and space. Use dair to punish and techchase opponents on the ground. Use uair to combo.
Don't use sideB as much. Sure, throw it in once or twice a game for a mixup, but using it as an approach becomes very predictable and is easily punished.
Try to reduce lag if possible. Your game looks pretty slow, and while it might give more time for combos and reaction, it won't benifit you in the long run. Play on low settings and not fullscreen. If the lag was just from recording, that's understandable.
Use shield. Shield grabbing and generally reducing damage is very useful.

Overall you did well, just work on speeding up your play, and don't give your opponent time to react to your attacks (no more walking!). If I had to give one EASY tip, try approaching with shorthop nairs.

Playing on full screen is actually better, the game renders more easily or something. Resizing the screen can make the game lag, but as long as you use CTRL-F to full screen it is actually less resource-intensive.

Here is my short guide to falcon (doesn't necessarily apply to you, these are general Falcon things):
_Nair. Nair has high priority and low lag and a lot of hitstun, and it can be used to perform nair string. My favourite version of these is where you do repeated SHFF nairs, and you always get the second hit of the nair behind you, sending them back. Because you landed quickly, you have enough time to run and do another nair that sends them behind you. Rinse and repeat.
_Grab->dthrow/uthrow->knee or uair or nair or grab again, all depending on MU/KB/DI
_Uair is amazing. After nair, it is probably falcon's best move. I often find myself using this move more than knee because it is more versatile and just safer overall. It comes out super fast right at the front, learning to control the timing during a short hop can give many different followups (for example, an opponent lying on the ground can be hit by doing the latest possible uair during a short hop).
_His smashes are pretty useless lol
_His specials are, for the most part, pretty useless
_His tilts other than dtilt are pretty useless. They aren't the kind of moves you want to be throwing out in neutral. They are def more useful than his smashes though.
_Uair/Stomp->knee. These are the classic Falcon combos, and you need to be able to pull them off. Uair->knee is harder to do in this demo for many reasons, but it is still perfectly possible.

If I was to do a tier list for Falcon's moves, it would be...
S-Tier:
    Blue Falcon, Nair, Uair, Dthrow
A-Tier:
    Fair, Dair, Upthrow, Bair, Jab
B-Tier:
    Dtilt, Fthrow, Ftilt, D-spec, S-spec, Utilt
C-tier:
    Dash Attack, Getup attack, N-spec
D-Tier:
    Fsmash, U-spec, Dsmash, Usmash
K-Tier:
    Bthrow, Pummel, Ledge Attack, Jab2, Jab3, Jab3 loop

I disagree about falcon's smashes. If you're in need of a quick KO and the opponent is wary of a knee approach, a dash -> crouch cancel -> dsmash often works well. Fsmash is less useful, but can be comboed into on some characters (dtilt -> fsmash, sideB -> fsmash etc.) and is a decent KO move if you can read a roll/tech. All of falcon's tilts are useful. Dtilt can be used to initiate or extend combos, ftilt comes out really fast and can be used as a mixup/combo extender/get off me move. Utilt is good for safe edgeguarding, or when you're desperate for an easy KO (170% or higher).

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:06 am
BR Member

sparty88 wrote:
Jammy, the others critiqued you well, so I'll only add one thing: dash dance during the match, not just after a kill like 90% of people do online.

I'm trying to work on that, thanks :P

Youtube         Twitch

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 am

MGN Username: sparty88
Jammy wrote:
sparty88 wrote:
Jammy, the others critiqued you well, so I'll only add one thing: dash dance during the match, not just after a kill like 90% of people do online.

You're already doing better. GGs.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:44 pm
BR Member

sparty88 wrote:
Jammy wrote:
sparty88 wrote:

You're already doing better. GGs.

GGs! Wish I could have played more but I had to go. Your fox is coming along nicely! :]

Youtube         Twitch

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:15 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
All of his smashes can be replaced by another move, seriously. Dtilt, for instance, sets up a knee. None of his smashes set up in the same way. The list is based on the function of the move (risks, rewards, utility). This includes how well the move does in neutral, how often you can land the move, how safe the move is on hit/shield/whiff. None of his smashes should be used in neutral because they are super laggy, they can be punished on shield as well. Their knockback is what keeps them out of K-tier. Sure they *can* be comboed into, but that's super rare and hardly the optimal decision. I justify Falcon punch being better pretty much because it can be used midair, meaning more versatility.

Knee would be in S-tier if it could be spammed in neutral, which it cannot. If they are wary of a knee approach, the are probably ready to shield, in which case his smashes would be bad decisions too. He can grab them instead, and this leads to better follow ups. The fact that none of his tilts are less than B-tier and are all better than his smashes is easy to accept, and does them justice considering their niche in his gameplay.

Oh but maybe I'd swap jab3 and jab3 loop. Going into the rapid jabs is WAAAAY better than not.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:25 pm
BR Member

With that logic, dtilt shouldn't be such a high tier cause it can't be spammed in neutral and only has one use (setting up knees). I think that the whole idea of a 'tier list' for moves is flawed anyway: you shouldn't be placing a move lower simply because it can't be spammed in neutral. That's not the purpose of the knee, it's for finishing. And as a finishing move, it should be high tier. As a setup move, dthrow is high tier. As an edgeguarding move, bair and utilt are high tier. There are many ways to class a move as 'good' and a straight up tier list doesn't justify it. Just my opinion.

Youtube         Twitch

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:34 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
Jammy wrote:
With that logic, dtilt shouldn't be such a high tier cause it can't be spammed in neutral and only has one use (setting up knees). I think that the whole idea of a 'tier list' for moves is flawed anyway: you shouldn't be placing a move lower simply because it can't be spammed in neutral. That's not the purpose of the knee, it's for finishing. And as a finishing move, it should be high tier. As a setup move, dthrow is high tier. As an edgeguarding move, bair and utilt are high tier. There are many ways to class a move as 'good' and a straight up tier list doesn't justify it. Just my opinion.

Your second last sentence sums it up. I mean, I had a hard time trying to come up with a place for dspec and up spec because they have limited combat capability but are integral parts of Falcon's moveset because if he didn't have them he would be garbage for sure. How do you quantify the ranking of moves that serve completely different purposes? I tried to capture the versatility and approximate relative frequency of use of his moves in their general position, in part as a joke. However, I don't hide behind "it was a joke lol don't over analyze", I made this list based on my opinions of Falcon's general game plan and that is certainly reflected in the list. Tier lists aren't comprehensive indeed.

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Click to expand thumbnail

Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:08 pm

So.

After Days upon days of playing and numerous incorrectly input directions by my keyboard, I have finally managed to complete the Give Her the Knee Challenge.

For those of you who don't know, that basically means fight a LV9 Peach using only knees to do damage.

A lot harder than it looks.

But I did manage to work out the timing to beat out Peach Bomber with a Knee. Occasionally.

Video to come soon, including some of my more hilarious screw-ups.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:19 pm

MGN Username: SoldierSunday
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
YouTube Video:

There wasn't a good combo video for 9b yet, so i decided to make one myself!

I'll definately make more in the future, but enjoy this one!

" You know what neither Melee nor Brawl have ? Controller input history in training mode." - 228zip, 2013

Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm
BR Member

SoldierSunday wrote:
[ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxpZfAqyns ]

god damn

I need to step my game up

Youtube         Twitch

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:40 pm
BR Member

I am not that kirby.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: Sorabotics
Currently Playing: SSBM and SSF2
SoldierSunday wrote:

Nice vid!

But do you mean there were no good ones for 9b in general or just 9b falcon? Because Zalo and I made pretty good ones.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:54 pm

MGN Username: SoldierSunday
Currently Playing: Super Smash Flash 2
Sorabotics wrote:
SoldierSunday wrote:

Nice vid!

But do you mean there were no good ones for 9b in general or just 9b falcon? Because Zalo and I made pretty good ones.

Oh, i guess i didnt see those yet my bad lol

" You know what neither Melee nor Brawl have ? Controller input history in training mode." - 228zip, 2013

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:20 pm

MGN Username: ohgosick
Currently Playing: Anything not called 'Undertale'.
Waifu: ur mum lmao
FedoraTheExplorer wrote:
I am not that kirby.

I'm that kirby :P (i'm also the p1 falcon in the clip before doe.)

The Americans came in and burned my village with their flaming uppercuts,
killing our water buffalo and leaving this scar on my chest...

Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:41 am
BR Member

MGN Username: Doq
Currently Playing: one of thousands of variations of Solitaire
Waifu: Es
0/10 knee doesn't say yes

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:28 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 30  Next