The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 pm

[ 14 posts ] 
Mother/Earthbound - Legacies 

Currently Playing: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle
Mother/Earthbound - Legacies:

(Spoilers for those playing Earthbound/Mother 1, 2 or 3)

Background of Mother/Earthbound series in General:
Mother (マザー Mazā) is a role-playing game series created by Shigesato Itoi for Nintendo. The series started in 1989 with Mother for the Famicom, and was then followed up by a sequel, EarthBound for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and followed up again much later in 2006 with the Japan-only Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance.

Like the Final Fantasy series, the Mother games are not a sequential series, but rather three "stand alone" games that feature common characters, themes, and settings. All three games are tied together with their respective final bosses.

Although most RPGs depict knights and wizards in pseudo-medieval settings, the Mother series takes place in more modern present-day Western settings told from a Japanese perspective. The first installment is set in rural America in 1988, whileEarthBound is set in "199X" in Eagleland (an allusion to the United States) and Mother 3 is set an unspecified number of years following the events of EarthBound, on the Nowhere Islands (with some Western overtones). Enemies consist of everything from aliens, to possessed guitars, to evil hippies. Instead of swords and shields, weapons consist of household items, from yo-yos to frying pans.

History of the Mother Series:

Mother/Earthbound Zero:

Mother tells the story of a young boy named Ninten who has to journey around the world to save the planet from an evil race of mind-controlling aliens. Along the way he is joined by several friends, and meets many unusual characters and visits strange settings before ultimately confronting the leader of the aliens, Gyiyg (Also known as Giygas, Giegue or Giigu, pronounced Gigoo or Geeg.) the source of earthly PSI/PK users.

Mother 2/Earthbound:

EarthBound (known as Mother 2 in Japan) is a distant sequel to the original Mother, with many characters, themes, and tunes borrowed from its predecessor. Many of the characters and settings are very similar, but the only explicitly returning character is Gyiyg (Giygas), who swears revenge at the end of the first game (evidenced by EarthBound's Japanese subtitle: Gyiyg Strikes Back!), and nearly achieves this goal with the help of Ness's former friend, Porky/Pokey Minch.

Though Mother never saw the American marketplace, its sequel for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, EarthBound, did, and stars a young psychic boy by the name of Ness.

Mother 3:

Mother 3 is the third long-awaited, and allegedly final game in the Mother series. Beforehand the game was in development for Nintendo 64 as a direct sequel to EarthBound, but the project was canceled due to the release date being near the end of the system's lifespan (and possibly with issues with the 3D engine and other production problems) The project picked up again for theGame Boy Advance (which was announced on a commercial for Mother 1 + 2). The game was finally released on April 20, 2006, and retained the traditional EarthBound art style and the general story and characters that were introduced in the canceled N64 version. Unlike the first two games, the story focuses on a boy named Lucas and his family on Nowhere Islands. Their home is invaded and the peace is disrupted by the mysterious "Pigmask Army" under the control of the ruthless "King P" (Porky Minch) who dramatically changes Nowhere Islands by introducing technology and infrastructure and performing bizarre experiments on the flora and fauna in their takeover. The game chronicles the trials and tribulations of Lucas and his family and friends as they fight against the Pigmask Army threat.

(Plot neccessary spoilers below)

Plot of "Legacies":

After the events of Mother 3, King P is rendered effectively immortal, at the cost of being trapped in an incomplete Absolutely Safe Capsule (An impenetrable safety capsule) for eternity. As a result, the Pigmask Army is left defenseless without their king. In order to restore order to the world, Lucas, hero of Mother 3 pulled the last of Seven Needles keeping a mighty wish granting dragon sealed, freeing the Dark Dragon in the process. The Dark Dragon recreates the world as it was before Porky Minch began mettling with the natural flow of time. Powerful Psychics such as Ness and Ninten, as well as the sealed Porky Minch as well as the mysterious Cave of the Past in Mt Itoi remain unaffected by the change, keeping their memories, and composition. As the world returns to its peaceful beginnings, even now, dark forces plot their own evil acts agaist humanity, led by the Dark Psychic - "3D's" (Dalton Dracus Daston) and an enigmatic entity known only as "The Mystery". 3D's offered the world an ultimatum: Obey only "The Mystery"'s orders and abandon all religion, or perish slowly in the world's deepest darkest abyss. As an example, 3D's wiped out a whole city's population in seconds flat. Psychics all over the world were alerted to a strange darkness present in the ruins of the city, as well as within the length of the Itoi Chasm and Mt Itoi itself.

At this, the world's psychics join together in a Brigade of Light to battle the Forces of Darkness in order to restore the peace, one Province at a time.

Bio Sheet:

Name:

Species: (Anything goes. Even animals. If your character doesn't possess PSI, make up for it with some other skill like weapon use or hand-to-hand combat skills.)

Personality:

Backstory:

Character's Favorite Food:

Character's Favorite Thing:

PSI Moveset: (Only if using PSI)

"Definition"
PSI (Psionics) or PK (Psychokinesis) refers to the fictional psychic powers that appear throughout the Mother series. These abilities vary between their users, both protagonist characters and foes alike. PSI becomes stronger throughout the games, and the power level is designated by the Greek letters alpha (α), beta (β), gamma (γ), sigma (Σ) and omega (Ω). Also, PSI abilities can be disambiguated into four different categories:

Assist PSI -- Known for using shields, altering the status of an ally or foe (This doesn't include HP or PP), or inflicting a status ailment.

Offense PSI -- Known for dealing significant, elemental, or even mortal damage to either ally or foe.

Recover PSI -- Known to recover the HP and PP of an ally or foe, as well as removing status ailments, especially incapacitation.

Other PSI -- Known for PSI used "only" in the overworld. Teleport is an exclusive example.

"Origin"
Origin:

PSI abilities come from the aliens of Giygas's species, though the secrets of PSI were stolen from them by George. According to Mother 3, Magypsies also know how to use it and have been using it for centuries, but Mother 3 is said to take place in another world altogether from the first two games in the series. Calling the offensive moves PSI was probably another mistranslation on EarthBound, as the attacks where called PK in the unreleased official translation of Mother 1.

At the start, you may choose two of the following. More can be learned throughout the story:

PK Fire (α) - (Offense PSI) Fire damage to all enemies. Low chance of setting enemies on fire. Deals slight Damage to opponent's Health if successful.

PSI Shield (α) - (Assist PSI) Guards against PSI damage to one ally. Attacks classed greater than αlpha (α) can't be blocked, however.

Telepathy - (Other PSI) Works like 'instant messaging' to another person. The receiving end does not require the ability to use PSI to receive messages. No one other than the intended target(s) can hear unless the user opts for Mass Telepathy. Works on any living thing.

Lifeup (α) - (Recover PSI) Heals minor cuts and bruises inflicted to the designated target.

Weapons: (Absolutely no regular guns. Household items such as Baseball Bats, Yo-yos, Sticks, Frying Pans, etc. are allowed. Only one weapon can be equipped. If you equip a new weapon during gameplay, you lose the old one. Starting Weapons (Listed Above) increase physical attack damage slightly. Stronger weapons can be found in-game.)

Weapons and Special Moveset: If your fighting style is all weapons and fighting with no PSI, then create a moveset for that instead Start out with one of the following:

Skilled Bash: A more powerful physical attack akin to PK Fire (alpha) in terms of the amount of damage dealt.

Fire/Strike: Attack the enemy with an item on hand.

C+C?

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I don't care. Do your worst.

Last edited by Wolf on the Moon on Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Currently Playing: stuff. loud stuff.
I'd say something about this.
But I know s*** about the series, all I know is that Giygas is one scary f***.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:03 am

...Hm.

There are a few problems I'd like to list;

You shouldn't HAVE to have PSI abilities. For example, I would much prefer a Jeff like character. Second, I prefer freeform. Third, I don't see any weapons. Fourth, Jeff had guns. WHY NO-ONE ELSE BAWWW

Seriously I freaking wanna be a Mr. Saturn Mecha pilot

GIVE ME MY FREAKING MR. SATURN MECHA PILOT

GIVE IT TO ME

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:33 pm

War P. Anda wrote:
...Hm.

There are a few problems I'd like to list;

You shouldn't HAVE to have PSI abilities1. For example, I would much prefer a Jeff like character. Second, I prefer freeform. Third, I don't see any weapons. Fourth, Jeff had guns. WHY NO-ONE ELSE BAWWW2

Seriously I freaking wanna be a Mr. Saturn Mecha pilot

GIVE ME MY FREAKING MR. SATURN MECHA PILOT3

GIVE IT TO ME

1I realized this myself, and fixed it at some point... I can't remember where I saved that draft, though. I could've sworn this was it... hmm...

2I completely forgot about that... I honestly ignored Jeff, mainly because his Multi-bottle Rocket was so broken that it made fights boring.

3I tend to be open-minded with suggestions, so you would be surprised at what happens in-game as long as it doesn't go overboard. With that said, mecha seems unlikely.

Also, since most people who RPed this with me before ended up going freeform anyway, I'll make it freeform.

I'll make the adjustments right away.

Edit: Done.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm

...Wait, someone actually listened to me

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN

Anyway, I was mostly kidding about the mecha Saturn. Looks good so far from what I see, but I'd just like to ask a question or two;

One, are we allowed more than one character? I have a pair that would work well together, but not neccessarily apart (*coughmechapilotSaturnandmechaniccough*). Two, what's the point of movesets if this is freeform (I mean, I understand only knowing some PSI attacks and such, but...)? Third, I said a question or TWO. NO MORE QUESTION. GOOD NIGHT.

...Really though, the mecha pilot Saturn wouldn't start out in anything very awesome; I was thinking a bumper car specially fit for a Mr. Saturn for the beginning weapon, actually.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:13 pm

Yes, you can control more than one character. The point of a starting moveset is so that you don't see random novices using stuff like PK Ground, or PK Starstorm Omega in the beginning, other than NPC's.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Yay.

And, I meant the whole non-PSI moveset. In a freeform RP it isn't really neccessary.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 am
BR Member

This looks OK...
I'd play it...
I'll make a bio later...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:32 pm

War P. Anda wrote:
Yay.

And, I meant the whole non-PSI moveset. In a freeform RP it isn't really neccessary.

It just gives a baseline to start from so you aren't a Master of Martial Arts who can kill weaker enemies with one punch and has a super powerful weapon that can solo most sub-bosses.

IE: You can't be Jeff Andonuts and Ninten at the same time. This may not be a problem for some people, but I have no doubt that someone will try to make a similar combination. Although I guess I can weed out all bios with this problem anyway. Either way, it makes this similar to the games, even if only slightly.

Example:

PSI User wrote:
____ used PSI Healing on ____.

Skillful Bash User wrote:
____ used a Roundhouse Kick, aiming for his opponent's head.

Weapons User wrote:
____ fired a Bazooka shell at ____.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:09 pm

MGN Username: Hadou
Currently Playing: Hella rpgs
f*** joining.

Something I couldn't do myself.

Name: Jrozo Hendeirs
Personality: Cheerful, very out going. He may even get loud for some reason. He's not very well at keeping secrets, and he has a tendency to say "z00m" a lot.
Species: Alien
Backstory: Jrozo was raised on Saturn Valley, by Mr. Saturns, after he crash landed there as a baby. Jrozo was originated to be another Giygas, had something ever went wrong, but the crash wiped out the little memory he had. Due to his insane amount of power, (though not nearly as equal to Giygas') he survived the crash. He was taken in by Mr. Saturns from then on, and learned their language, eating habits, and drawing skills. (like how to make a map. Seeing as Jrozo had arms, however, his map was much more detailed.)
A few years later, the Pigmasks invaded Saturn Valley, and planted the Frightbots. Jrozo, caught up in all the mess, got lost, and went to a distant place, populated by humans: Onett. He adapted there, and significantly changed his appearance from an alien to a human being. Seeing as how humans have helped him, despite his origins (he only knows he was raised by Mr. Saturns), he wants to help them. Jrozo hears of the wiping out of a city, and knows this is his chance to give back.

PSI Moveset: PSI Fire and PSI Shield.
Favorite Thing: Caring
Favorite Food: Steak

Last edited by Hadou on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 am
Site Admin

Currently Playing: Undertale
War P. Anda wrote:
Yay.

WAIT WHAT YOU'RE ACTIVE?

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:37 am

Geno wrote:
War P. Anda wrote:
Yay.

WAIT WHAT YOU'RE ACTIVE?

Only when I feel like it. Which should be more now. I mean, I've been postin' a bit. I would've thought you'd notice sooner.

And yeah, I GUESS that makes sense, but you don't need to LEARN how to kick something in the stomach, or use certain weapons in more damaging ways; for example, one of my character's starting weapons would be a standard work hammer. Y'know, like,the kind used to hammer nails. He could use the blunt end, but he could ALSO use the end used to pull out nails. You know, the sharp one? The one that could be fatal if smashed into a skull? THE ONE THAT COULD BE USED JUST AS EASILY AS THE BLUNT END? I think I've made my point. I hope, anyway...

Name: Ferris Roller

Species: Human.

Personality: Cheerful and optimistic, he's the kinda guy that's really hard to get down. And, if you SOMEHOW actually manage that, he'll be quick to his old self again. If you give him a job he likely won't rest till it's done, which won't take long; he works fast at whatever he does. Extremely trustworthy, he views loyalty as one of the greatest aspect one can have, and anyone who betrays anyone (unless completely neccessary) he... well, he doesn't like them (to say the least) and, if they can be considered 'bad guys' he'll probably try his best to beat the crap outta 'em.

Backstory: he was born as a haff dmn an killd al his familie an the he tryd to run awey but he wus capshurred by the police an experrimentd on an then he killd them 2 so he ran awey an became a super ninja!!!!!! so then he bcame an hirrd asasin! and got famus!!!

He was a completely ordinary child, born to a stay-at-home-mom and a mechanic. This gave him the want to become a mechanic at an early age, so he learned from his father. Later, when he was seventeen, his father's mechanic shop wasn't doin' too well, so he went to work as a part-time mechanic at a cheap s**** park. He did well, and eventually became.. well, not part-time. Soon enough his father's buisness was doing well again, so well in fact that it was incredibly likely he would never have to work in the s**** park again. This was good; the job at the s**** park was time consuming, and he wanted to spend time with his family.

However, when he tried to quit... he realized he hadn't quite read the fine print on his contract. So he was stuck there. He had no choice but to stay. So he did. More recently he has met 'Moose', a Mr. Saturn who he has recently built a something for, so he could go on a journy that he thinks is about to come into place. Ferris doesn't see why, though; nothing out of the ordinary has happened recently. Oh, but that's about to change...

Character's Favorite Food: Cotton Candy

Character's Favorite Thing: Roller Coasters

Weapons: A regular work hammer.

Weapons and Special Moveset: Skilled Bash

Name: Moose

Species: Mr. Saturn

Personality: Incredibly random, like most Mr. Saturns, but sometimes he has a serious air about him when he claims something is going to happen. When nobody listens to him he holds a temper tantrum. When he says something is going to happen, it usually does, but this cannot be used to predict the actions an enemy will take, or really anything like that; heck, he usually doesn't know much about what's going to happen but that it will. For example, he might know that someone's going to die, but not how, or sometimes even who.

Backstory: A strange little Mr. Saturn, he could predict when it would rain fifteen days ahead of time, or when travelers would pass through. One day he predicted that something big would happen soon, and that he needed to go to some cheap s**** park. So he did; running into several enemies along the way and being forced to run alot. By the time he got there, he had begun calling himself Mangled Saturn. Ferris found him and took him in secretly, and, in a day and a half, he was back to normal. As Mangled Saturn was the only name to call him by, Ferris eventually nicknamed him MS, which the Saturn eventually translated to Moose. That has been his nickname ever since. He then requested a mini Bumper Car, as he predicted that it was the correct course of action, which Ferris made; it ran off of gas unlike the typical bumper cars, because electricity was unavailable, but it was working anyway. Currently he's waiting for the correct time to leave, but not before a prediction told him that he had to bring Ferris along...

Character's Favorite Food: Noodles

Character's Favorite Thing: Spinning

Weapons: A custom, gas-powered bumper car fit for a Saturn.

Weapons and Special Moveset: Fire/Strike.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:15 pm
Site Admin

Name: Patricia "Patsy" Arugamen

Species: Human

Personality: Patricia has always been very serious for her age and is quite often the levelheaded thinker or voice or reason to her comrades. She is quick to reason out situations and get things done efficiently. To others she may appear cold and unfriendly, however that is not completely the case, she is actually quite friendly and cares for those whom have made the arduous trek to become her friend. Though she is not verbally social, she uses telepathy for a lot of communication (most of the time with those that are not human)

Backstory: Patricia is the youngest in a family of five. Her older sisters, Kasey and Mia are very different from her, both being out going and social. However, despite being in the shadows of her sisters, Patricia's parents have never once neglected their reserved daughter. Maxwell, her father is an honest and hard working lawyer in bustling Fourside City, while her mother, Diana stays home to watch over her troublesome girls.

Despite the lack of any PSI or PK abilities in the parents, all three of their daughters were born with the ability. Most notable of the three was Patricia's. Even before she could speak, she was capable of transmitting her own thoughts (primitive as a baby's might be) to her mother. Signalling when she wanted her bottle or to simply be held. Of course with the nature of her powers, no secrets could be kept from her, outside from her sister Mia was capable of shielding herself from her younger sister's involuntary readings. This made her grow distant from others, not wanting to hear what people thought of her.

At the age of seven her father hired some of Eagleland's best psychics and had them teach her how to control what and when she picked up other people's thoughts. Within a year, she learned how to send her thoughts to others and to seal off her mind from the probing of others (to a certain extent), in a fashion similar to her sister. It was after these sessions that Patricia was able to act like a "normal" girl.

She enjoys reading, and often spends her time in a secluded alcove with a wall of books around herself. She also enjoys gardening, so much that she walks around with a trowel in her pocket. Occasionally she talks to the plants as she tends to them telepathically, learning what life is like for a plant. All is well for Patricia, however recently she has been hearing things telepathically. Bad things. She isn't exactly sure what she's supposed to do about them, but after discussing such things with her mother and her father they say that she must be ready. For what? She does not know.

Character's Favorite Food: Cheesecake

Character's Favorite Thing: Gardening

PSI Moveset: Telepathy, PK Fire (α)

Weapons: Gardening Trowel

Weapons and Special Moveset: Fire/Strike

Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Sorry guys, I'm back. Every couple of weeks, my computer stops turning on for roughly 2-3 days. Keep this in mind. Lord knows I need a new one.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:44 pm
 [ 14 posts ]