The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Forum rules

DO NOT POST SSF2 OR GAME IDEAS/QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM!

For SSF2 Discussion, please go here: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewforum.php?f=4

[ 8 posts ] 
False antivirus warning 

I decided to log in after many years and I get this after the message says "You have successfully logged in"

http://i.imgur.com/lpSkjOKh.jpg

Don't know why. My guess would be that the page redirects automatically after the message and that might be the trigger. Though, I used other sites that redirects and I don't get that message (even the ones that seems less secured than this site) I had to manually go back to the home page and click on the forum tab to get back in.

Don't know if there's anything to do much other than whitelising (which I can't find atm)

Animes I have: show
Death Note (seen all)
Chobits (seen all)
Devil May Cry (seen all)
Fooly Cooly (seen all)
Naruto (long way to go)
Ouran High School Host Club (seen all)
DearS (seen all)
Pokemon (Chronicles Season complete, the rest no)
Sonic X (not yet)
Full Metal Alchemist (haven't seen all yet)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:27 am
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
If you can, quit using McAfee. It's an absolutely terrible piece of garbage, and has so many false positives. Even John McAfee himself wants to be distanced from it, which is saying something. I'd highly suggest moving to a combo of Malwarebytes and Advast, AVG, or Avira.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 am

The best antiviruses start with "A"

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 am
SSF2 Developer

At one point there was something nasty on this site. It's long gone though, McAfee is just behind and slow.

Plus, with a bit of smarts, you can go antivirus free.
All they do is slow down your computer anyway.

Few pointers though:
-On XP? Use Antivirus if you cannot upgrade. Or don't. #Yolo.
-Use Adblock (Is that firefox I see - https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox), Most of the viruses you see and catch come from malicious ads.
-Don't download everything you see. Use your common sense. Check url's: make sure you trust them.
-Make regular backups of your computer (Windows 7 has built in backup software, in the start menu, look up "backup"). This way if you DO get a virus, you won't care about blasting your computer to nothing, because you have copies of everything.
-Use a isolated virtual machine (https://www.virtualbox.org/) to do potentially nasty things. Get that torrent software off your main computer. Also, don't steal software.

(These are just my practices. Don't hold me responsible for anything)

I feel so proud...I knew a web lingo that he didn't.

Cleod9 wrote:
So Sirto I guess you could say the whole experience was... sir-REAL eh?
Ok that wasn't funny at all, I apologize.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

King Arthur wrote:
If you can, quit using McAfee. It's an absolutely terrible piece of garbage, and has so many false positives. Even John McAfee himself wants to be distanced from it, which is saying something. I'd highly suggest moving to a combo of Malwarebytes and Advast, AVG, or Avira.

It'll be useless to quit now since the subscription still has aa few more months. Also McAfee has done its job in the past and I rarely had a problem with it.

I try to avoid free antivirus since they don't offer the full protection and I don't want to have more than one antivirus running. I don't mind paying.

Is Kaspersky still good? I'm thinking about getting it once my subscription expire.

Death Note (seen all)
Chobits (seen all)
Devil May Cry (seen all)
Fooly Cooly (seen all)
Naruto (long way to go)
DearS (seen all)
Sonic X (not yet)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:09 pm
SSF2 Developer

Obsesed Gamer wrote:
King Arthur wrote:

It'll be useless to quit now since the subscription still has aa few more months. Also McAfee has done its job in the past and I rarely had a problem with it.

I try to avoid free antivirus since they don't offer the full protection and I don't want to have more than one antivirus running. I don't mind paying.

Is Kaspersky still good? I'm thinking about getting it once my subscription expire.

Read my above post.

I feel so proud...I knew a web lingo that he didn't.

Cleod9 wrote:
So Sirto I guess you could say the whole experience was... sir-REAL eh?
Ok that wasn't funny at all, I apologize.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:14 pm
Site Moderator

Currently Playing: Ninja Gaiden Black, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Titanfall 2 MP
Waifu: Makoto Nijima
Obsesed Gamer wrote:

There are a few free AVs that are perfectly fine, and I listed them. Anyways, Sirto is pretty much right. All I'd add to what he said is to get Malwarebytes and scan once a week, I've been running with no AV for a long time and have had no issues aside from the time I tested websites in IE and picked up something nasty. Adblock, Mbam, and common sense are all you need.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:39 pm

King Arthur wrote:
There are a few free AVs that are perfectly fine, and I listed them. Anyways, Sirto is pretty much right. All I'd add to what he said is to get Malwarebytes and scan once a week, I've been running with no AV for a long time and have had no issues aside from the time I tested websites in IE and picked up something nasty. Adblock, Mbam, and common sense are all you need.

Thanks, It's just that I've used Avast in the past (back in 2008 until 2010 I believe) and it was good for a while until my last computer kept resetting itself. Took it to Office Depot and they've ran a scan with McAfee. They've found 7 viruses that Avast couldn't pick up when I did a boot scan. So that's why I'm iffy with free antivirus.

Sirtopeia wrote:
At one point there was something nasty on this site. It's long gone though, McAfee is just behind and slow.

Plus, with a bit of smarts, you can go antivirus free.
All they do is slow down your computer anyway.

Few pointers though:
-On XP? Use Antivirus if you cannot upgrade. Or don't. #Yolo.
-Use Adblock (Is that firefox I see - https://adblockplus.org/en/firefox), Most of the viruses you see and catch come from malicious ads.
-Don't download everything you see. Use your common sense. Check url's: make sure you trust them.
-Make regular backups of your computer (Windows 7 has built in backup software, in the start menu, look up "backup"). This way if you DO get a virus, you won't care about blasting your computer to nothing, because you have copies of everything.
-Use a isolated virtual machine (https://www.virtualbox.org/) to do potentially nasty things. Get that torrent software off your main computer. Also, don't steal software.

(These are just my practices. Don't hold me responsible for anything)

I didn't see your post, sorry.
I'm pretty cautious when browsing so I do have adblock as well as Ghostery and BetterPrivacy
I never trust .exe files when looking for something that is not supposed to be .exe
Got some external HDD for backup
Never thought about virtual machine. Not a bad idea. (Also I don't steal software. I have no problem buying the actual product since getting it on a torrent is a gamble. Also NSA.)

All in all, I just want better protection. Can't be too careful, right? Since I still got a few more months with McAfee, I'll just use it until it expires. After that, we'll see.

:lock:

Death Note (seen all)
Chobits (seen all)
Devil May Cry (seen all)
Fooly Cooly (seen all)
Naruto (long way to go)
DearS (seen all)
Sonic X (not yet)

Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:40 pm
 [ 8 posts ]