The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 11:49 pm

[ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next
Marth 
BR Member

MGN Username: Jammy
Marth has never, and should never, HAVE to sweet spot. Like has already been said, up-B onto stage should be a viable option, it just needs a little end lag/landing lag and it'll be punishable.

Youtube         Twitch

<insert giant anime gif here>

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:09 am
BR Member

Not having to sweet spot isn't the problem with the move lol

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:11 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
I guess I´ll just bring in another point: Do his specials have a tipper bonus? DS has one, but what about the others?

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:33 am
Site Admin

MGN Username: [TSON]
Currently Playing: with myself
only nspec and upb

Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:38 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
sparty88 wrote:
Marth has always had to sweetspot. Why should that change?

If Marth sweetspots the ledge in Melee he can get gimped by the Marth Killer. Clearly sweetspotting the ledge isn't an option here.
http://i.imgur.com/6WrHuTl.gifv

EDIT: Speaking of the Marth Killer, I just tested and it works in SSF2. The fall off part is easy, but the character doesn't recover from the fall off in time to grab the ledge. They do have time to hit Marth with a fast aerial OR snap to the ledge if they have a move that lets them, like in this example: https://gfycat.com/IncompleteVacantBalloonfish

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:26 am

MGN Username: TAC3
Currently Playing: SSF2, League of Legends, Steam Games
Phoenix Wright wrote:
sparty88 wrote:

If Marth sweetspots the ledge in Melee he can get gimped by the Marth Killer. Clearly sweetspotting the ledge isn't an option here.

EDIT: Speaking of the Marth Killer, I just tested and it works in SSF2. The fall off part is easy, but the character doesn't recover from the fall off in time to grab the ledge. They do have time to hit Marth with a fast aerial OR snap to the ledge if they have a move that lets them, like in this example: https://gfycat.com/IncompleteVacantBalloonfish

cool gif at the end there, but marth players almost always recover by hugging the stage as much as possible when the option is accessible to them. In the gif you made, the marth player is too far away from the ledge to recreate what people usually do (that, an it looks way less safe lol). is it possible to do the Marth killer when Marth up-specials closer to the stage?

Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:28 am
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Complacency breeds weakness. My opponents won't stop getting stronger, neither will I.
TacThree wrote:
Phoenix Wright wrote:
sparty88 wrote:

cool gif at the end there, but marth players almost always recover by hugging the stage as much as possible when the option is accessible to them. In the gif you made, the marth player is too far away from the ledge to recreate what people usually do (that, an it looks way less safe lol). is it possible to do the Marth killer when Marth up-specials closer to the stage?

There is a distance that Marth can sweetspot from below so that he doesn't hit the shield but still will grab the ledge, this occurs because Dolphin Slash doesn't hit directly above Marth (even tho the animation says otherwise). If he hits the shield, then what happens is all based on how well the Marth sweetspotted. If Marth sweetspots even remotely well he snaps to the ledge first well before Fox would fall low enough to grab (only instant shine would do anything here lol), if he doesn't then what I found applies. That's on a stage like Warioware. If I do it a little closer on BF, and I get the same results.

This is all done through TAS tho, I don't think any human can pull off what I did in the first gif either. Fox has to fall for about 2 frames before he can side-b snap to the ledge, Marth tends to grab during this window if he sweetspotted at all. Not to mention that many characters just fall past the ledge and don't grab it at all like they would in Melee, so only certain characters can even pull this off. In terms of realistic inputs, Marth just grabs the ledge to early to do anything off of this
The conclusion being is that it is possible, but not practical :P oh the world of TAS

Youtube: NinjaLobsterStudios
Stream: twitch.tv/ninjalobster

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 am

MGN Username: knight223
Currently Playing: SSF2, Brave Frontier, Unison Leauge
What competitive stages to you guys think Marth excels on or is there even a stage he has an advantage on?

Characters I barley use: Marth

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 pm
BR Member

Currently Playing: SSF2, MGS 3, Melee, Project M
FD against fast-fallers (watch M2K play to see why), and Yoshi's Story against everyone else (so you can get free combos off of platforms and tippers) IMO.

For Doom:
:marth: :donkeykong: :fox:
For Kicks:
:peach: :captainfalcon: :samus:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm

MGN Username: knight223
Currently Playing: SSF2, Brave Frontier, Unison Leauge
TheCodeSamurai wrote:
FD against fast-fallers (watch M2K play to see why), and Yoshi's Story against everyone else (so you can get free combos off of platforms and tippers) IMO.

While I do agree that its easy to get tippers on Yoshi's Story it is even easier on the Battlefield.

Characters I barley use: Marth

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:14 pm
BR Member

I like Yoshi's more because it's easier to recover, but they are fairly close.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 pm

MGN Username: sparty88
It's also easy to get tippers on FD, ToS, Smashville, Dreamland, PS3...and every other stage in the game.

Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 am
BR Member

It's easier on those stages because you can get them on reaction from tech chases.

For Doom:
For Kicks:

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:50 am

Waifu: Yume
I'm probably just terrible at this game.
But how are you meant to deal with his aerials, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I get caught with one everytime.
Not only that, but I feel like I can't play aggressive with Marth after hes in the air, so he either catches you with Dair or he gets a free landing. So annoying :[

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 am

MGN Username: qqwxiron,IronH
Derk wrote:
I'm probably just terrible at this game.
But how are you meant to deal with his aerials, it doesn't seem to matter what I do, I get caught with one everytime.
Not only that, but I feel like I can't play aggressive with Marth after hes in the air, so he either catches you with Dair or he gets a free landing. So annoying :[

Who do you main Derk?

♪ But first let me play another #friendly!

Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:46 am
 [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 40  Next