The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 15, 2020 12:07 am

[ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
SSF2 General Speculation 

Currently Playing: bye bye MG
Its not like you can even see the sprites through all that fire anyways.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:57 pm

MGN Username: TheBlue10
Currently Playing: Life.
Waifu: I have a husbando.
Crow Victini wrote:
Its not like you can even see the sprites through all that fire anyways.

Currently you can, but if they change the effects, you can't.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:07 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
I speculate that, like v0.9b's :mario: resprite was the end for Fire Mario, Beta's :wario: resprite will be the end for Wario-Man.
If Wario-Man does return, he'll have a more conservative moveset similar to the official games because it'll be a lot easier for the sprite team base a new spritesheet on Wario's existing new sprites instead of making separate animations from scratch again.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:38 am

Waifu: zero suit wario
f*** no, I love the current Wario-Man. I wouldn't even be mad if they just kept the old sprites like with SSJ Goku or Bankai Ichigo because he's so fun to play.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:10 pm

MGN Username: thebeep41
Currently Playing: Void Els, BnS, AK, DFO, GA2, and SSF2
Kirb-Star wrote:
f*** no, I love the current Wario-Man. I wouldn't even be mad if they just kept the old sprites like with SSJ Goku or Bankai Ichigo because he's so fun to play.

same as fire mario
fire mario was bae

btw

Is it just me, or are recoveries going to be somewhat nerfed this version around?

Falco and Falcon are my prime examples of this. I think from the stream, Kirby's Up-B gets even less height. Whew..

Falco, although we know his Up-B has consistently been shorter than Fox's even tho HE's the BIRD
combining the really short up-b and the lack of 360 degree movement even with controllers, Falco's gonna have lots... LOTS of trouble recovering.
Bet his fate is sealed if he gets f-smashed by a Marth at the ledge at 40% or fair'd by sheik at 50%

Falcon looks not so changed up compared to 9B, but he has better effects. But...
All I see so far are nerfs-(But you can argue that these features of Falcon aren't really right of him/it's 'broken'), so eh.
RIP hilarious Falcon Punch of doom that killed majority of the cast at 40% (what the main problem was, was that it had a broken fast startup lmaooo)
RIP Falcon kick that let you live even when sent to the side blastzones.

Only example of recoveries getting buffed that I know of, is :chibirobo: .

Also, remember too guys-characters like Marth will be very susceptible to punishes once they land with Dolphin Slash, as moves like that have been added with pretty noticeable endlag.

Alas, this doesn't exactly mean a bad thing for this game.
It just reminds us that we should DI, tech and keep sight of ourselves in the game more.
AKA, Higher skill ceiling.
That isn't bad at all :pikachu:

the only thing i consider bad is the lack of 360 movement
bruh why have controllers and not have what controllers have
it would prolly be hard to code but still bruh
i don't mind if it changed from 8 directions to 32 or even 16
it'll still be better than what it is now

"Because if you were truly tired of it, you would've done something about it."

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
:idea: :ichigo: :chibirobo: :captainfalcon: :link: :bomberman: :sheik: :idea:

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:33 pm
SSF2 Developer

Currently Playing: Probably the new patch of SSF2 Beta.
We don't want to add 360 movement options to controllers without a way for keyboard players to also use it. I've experimented with it but it was always weird.

The controller support is so you can plug in a controller and play the game with it, without having to download a third party program.

Also keep in mind that analog sticks allows tap jump and up tilts, and dashing without a dash button or double tap.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:01 pm

just a passing thought that I don't want to just leave in the dust:

I know this may seem crazy or extremely tough to program, so take this with a bit of salt from 9B Sora mains.

but

how about using main keys on the keyboard for all other inputs
and using the mouse to angle

Like, imagine this: you using Fire Fox and while it's charging, you put the mouse where you want Fox to go and Fox wings it

that would be like
revolutionary

but probably near-impossible to do with Flash

My second idea is having specific key presses that are at certain degree angles, allowing 16 directions in total for keyboard players.

I think the latter is much more possible to pull off.

Even if 360 degree movement doesn't come with us by release date, you guys still have at least around 3 more years by release date; y'all would find a good solution, and at least a kekboi like I can trust you guys.

The fact that you guys were already testing it shows good, like how Geno was testing 60fps.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 pm
SSF2 Developer

You can only have one mouse on one computer so that isn't a viable option anyway.

To be specific, I experimented with it calculating the angle based on how long you held each direction during startup. So if you held up the whole time, and right for only half of the time, you'd get a 22.5 degree angle from straight up. But there are issues with that system, simply due to the fact that you have to be holding up to start the move, so that automatically messes up your angle.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:13 pm

MGN Username: Bedoop
Currently Playing: Rayman Origins
Waifu: CLEOD-BOT
Refurin wrote:
We don't want to add 360 movement options to controllers without a way for keyboard players to also use it.

:|
my goodness
you guys
you guys are a blessing
CLEOD-BOT bless
thank you for not leaving us keyboard players in the dust
i certainly appreciate it :chibirobo:

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:42 pm

Hmm..

How about you calculate the angle based on the number of key presses, not taking the input for the Special as part of the angling? Maybe let the player change the angle with # of taps, 1-2 frames after the previous input tells the game he/she's doing Fire Fox/PK Thunder/whatnot.

So, how I think it may work with this idea:

Doing the input of Fire Fox (Up + B), then at least 1-2 frames after, the game lets you press to the left once but keep pressing up 8 times, making the angle be only slightly to the left while going up. 78.75 degrees, if I know how to use numbers and a calculator well.
Using 1 press to the left and one up would make it go a perfect diagonal.

Thinking of fractions may help you understand what I'm getting at here.
(But hey, I barely know jack of how to code a Flash game, this is all just wishful thinking/brainstorming from the common mind.)

Taking this into second thought too, it will take a really fast finger to get super precise angles, but if it works, I think this may be an option.

I have a question though-is 360 degree input already supported for controllers, just not actually implemented yet?
Like, is the code for that already finished and we just need to be a bit more fair to keyboard players; as to why we're discussing here?

Last edited by TheBeep on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:43 pm

Waifu: zero suit wario
Refurin wrote:
We don't want to add 360 movement options to controllers without a way for keyboard players to also use it. I've experimented with it but it was always weird.

Tbh, I wouldn't mind being left behind (I'm a keyboard user) just so controller players can get this feature.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:07 pm

Kirb-Star wrote:
Refurin wrote:

Tbh, I wouldn't mind being left behind (I'm a keyboard user) just so controller players can get this feature.

I appreciate that the dev team is willing to accept the challenge of having equal grounds on input devices.

We have plenty of time to reach a conclusion anyway, this is SSF2 we're talking about :chibirobo:

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 pm
SSF2 Developer

Having to tap the keys to do it would just feel really weird, I think. I would want it to be intuitive and not awkward to use.

The benefit of having it be based on how long you hold the keys was that if you wanted to get 45 degree angles, you would do it in exactly the same way as you used to.

I may look into the idea again in the future, but for now, the main reason for the controller support is so that you do not need third party programs to play the game with a controller.

There's been discussion about this with the team. There certainly is keyboard specific tech in SSF2 already, so they can't be completely identical anyway, but all of the actions you can perform should be the same on both.

One thing that bothered me personally about Crusade's controller support reveal was that none of the new things they showed off could be done on a keyboard, you are at a direct disadvantage for using a keyboard.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:33 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
The keyboard is like the sideways Wii Remote: hampering the entire game isn't going to make it any better as a controller compared to the other options. Just like removing Wavedashing/L-cancelling didn't balance out the Wii Remote like they were supposed to. (Yes, it was for the sake of Wii Remote users, not an anti-competitive vendetta as is commonly believed.)

Besides. There's so many keyboard-exclusive techs. It's only fair to throw controller users a bone.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:38 pm
SSF2 Developer

I would highly doubt wavedashing was removed because of the Wii Remote, considering it certainly wasn't intentional in the first place. L-cancelling I could believe, but that being removed is a change I can get behind. However I find this completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

Controller users already have benefits to using them, but neither keyboard or controller has game-changing differences.

Not adding 360 degree control to controllers is not making the game any worse, there is nothing being removed here.

Keep in mind we also never said that we would have 360 degree control in the first place.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 am
 [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next