The McLeodGaming forums were permanently closed on April 30th, 2020. You are currently viewing a read-only archive.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 14, 2020 7:56 pm

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
SSF2 Game Design and Competitive Viability Discussion 

MGN Username: [BANNED]
Currently Playing: SSF2TAS
People were more used to the more fast-paced gameplay of 9b. Beta is more like Sm4sh than 9b in that there is more emphasis on grab game, along with overall campier gameplay. In my opinion, Isaac sums up Beta's fundamentals (grab game, camping, having trouble killing, less emphasis on offstage). Beta also has less disjoints if I'm not mistaken. Some people don't want these changes and see them as a bad thing. I personally am not too fond of these changes, as they've affected Kirby for the worse (Worse air game, less disjoints), and I'm not very fond of grabs being as centralized in the neutral as they are in Sm4sh and as they've become now. 9b was more similar to Melee, but now it seems Beta's lingering in the middle, sort of throwing off the balance that SSF2 had and the audience it appealed to.

Harr, to answer your question, I think in order to remedy the complaints, one would either have to make grabs worse overall, add more disjoints, and make sure every character has at least three solid kill options and at least two gimping/edgeguarding options. I think Beta controls much more smoothly than 9b (except for the priority of the buffering system; I think jumping should always be max priority in the buffering system), and it has potential to be better than 9b ever was, but as of now, it's not, due to the larger gap between high tiers and low tiers and the slower, "more methodical and chesslike" gameplay. If people wanted Sm4sh, they'd play Sm4sh. People want SSF2.

Last edited by Happyfrozenfire on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:47 pm
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
asuhdude wrote:
Yeah but the thing about that is this game is still in Beta, the period where it is still going through heavy polishes and bugwork before it gets released. People treat it as a full game when it is still a demo version, that's how well they've done. Have some faith in the project's developers.

I mean, harr, you know as well as anybody that they put up "NOTE: GAME STILL IN DEVELOPMENT" on the front page and commonplace elsewhere. Most of these flaws you see are tentative in terms of the direction they are taking the game. Compare it to .9b for example.

9b was praised in comparison to Beta.

Even though this isn't SSF2 Final, it's still supposed to be a later version, so it's a disappointment that it's gotten worse rather than better. Even for an unfinished project, taking a huge step backward just doesn't make sense.

HFF's summed it up. It's not even unique anymore. It feels like Smash 4. And considering Smash 4 is on life support, that's not a good thing.

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 pm

I disagree with those last 2 sentiments there, and the overall grim depiction that some are passing on a whole.

It's too early to make such a declaration and people need to chill because the game was slowed a tad for readability and accessibility, especially for lower tiers to be able to actually move up. It still feels plenty fast and "Melee-y". Very few things are Sm4sh AT ALL. To state otherwise demonstrates a rather small view of what makes Sm4sh... well Sm4sh

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:34 pm

You're right. Sm4sh has good stuff like Master Hand's theme on FD.

DEVS WHY

WHY ISN'T MASTER HAND'S THEME ON FD
THIS IS BASIC s*** IF YOU'RE GONNA NERF THE META, LET US SEE OUR BUFFED MUSIC

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of projectiles in beta have tons of priority? Maybe I'm just not landing the right moves, but things like Mario's fireballs and Goku's ki blast use to have super low priority. Like, any move in the game could destroy them. Now you get stuff like swarms of Luigi's fireballs coming at you, and it feels super difficult to deal with.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Seems like projectiles actually can't be destroyed by non-projectile hitboxes. One exception is that Marth can clank with Isaac's sideB, but that move is wonky, and it might be because Marth is hitting Isaac through the move. Same with Ichigo's projectile. It kinda feels like ZSS's sideB disjoint bug in 9b.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:35 am

It's called "transcendency" and basically projectiles exist on another plane that can't be attacked.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:47 am
BR Member

MGN Username: KarmaPilcrow
Currently Playing: the waiting game
Waifu: Furry trash.
Which is actually a really bad thing.

Most of my arguments, I'm speaking for my friends' opinions, but THIS is a fatal flaw that even I'VE noticed firsthand.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 am

Yeah, f*** Transcendency. It's worse than any of 9b's jank. Hell, it's worse than 9b's priority system. f*** Transcendency. Worst part about Beta by far.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 am
BR Member

MGN Username: TSF|Cookies
Currently Playing: PM, Melee, Ultimate, Hollow Knight
Just for the record, projectiles arent actually transcendant. They are the way they are because of trading being disabled, and the projectile hitbox always outboxing "regular" attacks so to speak. Or at least thats what TSON told me. Im assuming that once trades are fixed, projectiles are not uber dumb anymore :chibirobo:

Shoutouts to Harr for this sick player card!

Join Chibi Nation, the 20CR Discord for all aspiring Chibi-Robo mains!

Click to expand thumbnail

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:21 pm

I hope want Skylar said is true. Having to deal with waves of Mario's fireballs is just ridiculous.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:42 pm

MGN Username: Godreaper
0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:
I hope want Skylar said is true. Having to deal with waves of Mario's fireballs is just ridiculous.

Yeah the speed that they come out of is crazy along with his Ngame it's always a big challenge for me to over come that. lol

Get Reaped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKAJyQcScs

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Godreaper wrote:
0_ZeroSuitUser_0 wrote:

Yeah the speed that they come out of is crazy along with his Ngame it's always a big challenge for me to over come that. lol

Mario in general is just crazy good in beta. also, i'm pretty sure that he can confirm fireballs into up-smash in some situations and there were also a lot of times I tried to get in on the dude, especially in the air, and the fireballs would cancel my ATK before I got to do anything.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:46 pm

MGN Username: Zalozis Zemsis
Currently Playing: Gundam Wing: Endless Dual | Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code | Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Im'ma say it again:

20% damage for each of his Smash attacks.

Now, while his damage is really on 3-4% above what Dr. Mario's output on his Smashes, Mario's easy confirm into his Smash attacks make it really easy to abuse that extra damage. Damage decay being makes a dent when he already do well above average damage. Why go for full combo-punishes with the risk of execution error/DI changes, but you can land three short strings like Nair > Usmash (32%), or Fair > Dsmash (37%) to get your opponent to 90%+, not counting the Fireball damage racking up from you zoning for an opening.

I've had someone quit on me because they got hit only 4 times on a fresh stock, and realized they already have taken 61%

Luigi Movement, Cancel, Tech, etc.
YouTube Video:
SSF2 Google Drive
". . . Emphasis . . . of players helping one-another"

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am
 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2